is our club getting too expensive

donevon replied on 23/04/2023 16:51

Posted on 23/04/2023 16:51

Just returned from a lovely easter break on one of the networks CLs,all five couples on site had a evening get together and BBQ,and during the evening we all shared our favourite sites etc.Four of the couples had joined the camping & caravanning club and told us about their savings on club sites,at first i said that i would have thought both clubs would be very competitive in pricing but as the other couples were all retired they showed us that the CACC members get age concession discount and it was a good saving comparing site for site in many regions.The alarming comment also made was that a lot of their retired friends now us CACC site as they are cheaper than the CAMC sites.Can the club also give their senior members a discount on club sites. 

Tinwheeler replied on 23/04/2023 17:30

Posted on 23/04/2023 17:30

Have you seen this thread about site prices?

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/sites-touring/uk-sites-touring/cost-of-sites-has-gone-mad/

Bully for C&CC if they can give an age related discount but we don’t get something for nothing and the rest of the members would effectively be subsidising any reduction in price for one sector of the membership. Giving one group an advantage always disadvantages others. Such a discount would, therefore, result in even more complaints about prices.

Personally, I don’t want anyone to subsidise my leisure time and prefer to work out cost effective ways for myself. Frankly, I’m embarrassed by the Govt throwing so much money at me over the last year or so and the last thing I want is for other folk and businesses to follow suit. In my book, anyone who can afford a tow car and caravan, or a MH, isn’t in need of discounts to the detriment of others.

I'm sorry if my opinion upsets you but it is only my opinion.👍🏻

Arch replied on 23/04/2023 18:04

Posted on 23/04/2023 18:04

I think the CCC club have recognised that the retired members are the ones that book for longer stays and multiple times therefore a major source of their income, I'm sure they wouldn't give discounts if the returns weren't cost effective, they do give other genuine discounts at times such as grass pitches or on selective sites, I do not agree that others are subsidising these discounts it is good business sense unlike this club that seems he'll bent on alienating its members.

Tinwheeler replied on 23/04/2023 18:43

Posted on 23/04/2023 18:43

I’ll not dispute that it’s probably good business sense, Arch, but I stand by my view that other members will be subsidising age related discounts. Don’t forget that CAMC too is currently offering discounts for Spring/Summer bookings but they are available to all members rather than just us old fogeys. 

Cornersteady replied on 23/04/2023 18:49

Posted on 23/04/2023 18:49

Of course the club would have to subsidise the loss income.

But a case in point, I'm off to one of my favourite sites soon at Melrose, and yes having been there many times in all seasons of course it all retired off peak at midweek, but, and it's a big but, from now till mid August it's all lows and a significant amount of fulls (on normal pitches and even 'fuller' on SP). If the club were to offer a discount for these retired folk it would lose a significant amount of income which would have to be recouped somehow, by rest of the members subsidising and perhaps higher pitch fees? I would qualify for a discount but it's not fair on people who have to pay for me when I can certainly pay my own way.

Is the club alenetaing it's members then? I would say not by the above.

Whatever your view It's the club business model not to offer such discounts, if you want them go to the CCC or to these often quoted non club sites that are, we are told, cheaper and better anyway.

DavidKlyne replied on 23/04/2023 20:30

Posted on 23/04/2023 16:51 by donevon

Just returned from a lovely easter break on one of the networks CLs,all five couples on site had a evening get together and BBQ,and during the evening we all shared our favourite sites etc.Four of the couples had joined the camping & caravanning club and told us about their savings on club sites,at first i said that i would have thought both clubs would be very competitive in pricing but as the other couples were all retired they showed us that the CACC members get age concession discount and it was a good saving comparing site for site in many regions.The alarming comment also made was that a lot of their retired friends now us CACC site as they are cheaper than the CAMC sites.Can the club also give their senior members a discount on club sites. 

Posted on 23/04/2023 20:30

Donevon

Thanks for your contribution but as mentioned in the replies to your post this subject is well covered elsewhere so rather than having a duplicate thread I will close this one and invite you to comment in the tread linked.

Thanks

David

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook