Be warned - Chestnut Farm Meadow

oakgrove camper replied on 29/12/2019 14:22

Posted on 29/12/2019 14:22

Having been a club member for 10 years you never know what to expect.went to Chestnut Farm Meadow about 4 years ago in the summer not a bad cl,booked for the 21st/28th dec told by the owner it was quite wet so he would put us on a hardstanding pitch.we got there no about to check in with only bit of hardstanding we could see had what looked like a new age traveller 7.5 ton lorry parked across it and in front of that was a car taking up the rest of the so called hardstanding,toilet looked like a run down stable.We ended up leaving as there was no room to park.place was really poor compared to 4 years ago.For a club cl it was a damn disgrace.TRY IT AT YOUR PERIL.

Moderator Comment - This is not a story as specified by the T&C's. I will move it to the CL section in discussions but you really need to create a review.

DavidKlyne replied on 09/01/2020 20:41

Posted on 09/01/2020 19:49 by nelliethehooker

Looking at the state of a odd few CLs it would appear that if they are inspected at all then those doing the inspection are wearing rose coloured spectacles, if any at all!!

Posted on 09/01/2020 20:41

Nellie

With your experience they should make you a CL Inspectorwink

David

nelliethehooker replied on 09/01/2020 21:34

Posted on 09/01/2020 21:34

I do wonder at times if some of the inspectors actually stay on a CL for a night or two, and not just have cursory visit now and again, when they know that the sites will be nearly empty.

Navigateur replied on 10/01/2020 08:58

Posted on 10/01/2020 08:58

Perhaps the CL inspectors just use the aerial view in Google Maps . . . .?

Seriously though, I have avoided a few CLs (and sites) because of what I can see there.

eurortraveller replied on 10/01/2020 10:38

Posted on 10/01/2020 10:38

The local school, care home and GP have all been inspected and tne results published. I suggested a long time ago that the Club might also publish inspection reports of its own CLs. This would protect CL owners from vindictive reviewers, and would protect Club members from finding sites which were not as they expected. Might it be time to look at this again? 

Tinwheeler replied on 10/01/2020 10:57

Posted on 10/01/2020 10:38 by eurortraveller

The local school, care home and GP have all been inspected and tne results published. I suggested a long time ago that the Club might also publish inspection reports of its own CLs. This would protect CL owners from vindictive reviewers, and would protect Club members from finding sites which were not as they expected. Might it be time to look at this again? 

Posted on 10/01/2020 10:57

It’s a good thought, Euro, but the institutions you list are inspected by trained professionals with set national criteria to work to.

CLs are inspected by volunteer members who, with the best will in the world, are going to differ in their opinions of what’s good or not so good. The CL inspectors are often local to the area and known to the site owners and, while I’m not suggesting there’s anything underhand going on, I think an inspection by a ‘mystery camper’ would be preferable. 

Tinwheeler replied on 10/01/2020 14:58

Posted on 10/01/2020 14:27 by nelliethehooker

I think an inspection by a ‘mystery camper’ would be preferable.

I'd be up for that, expenses paid of course.laughingwink

Posted on 10/01/2020 14:58

You'd be ideal for the job, Nellie👍🏻

replied on 10/01/2020 15:41

Posted on 10/01/2020 10:57 by Tinwheeler

It’s a good thought, Euro, but the institutions you list are inspected by trained professionals with set national criteria to work to.

CLs are inspected by volunteer members who, with the best will in the world, are going to differ in their opinions of what’s good or not so good. The CL inspectors are often local to the area and known to the site owners and, while I’m not suggesting there’s anything underhand going on, I think an inspection by a ‘mystery camper’ would be preferable. 

Posted on 10/01/2020 15:41

Pretty simple to set up training sessions for inspectors to use predetermined criteria to decide ratings based mainly on established criteria. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook