Be warned - Chestnut Farm Meadow

oakgrove camper replied on 29/12/2019 14:22

Posted on 29/12/2019 14:22

Having been a club member for 10 years you never know what to expect.went to Chestnut Farm Meadow about 4 years ago in the summer not a bad cl,booked for the 21st/28th dec told by the owner it was quite wet so he would put us on a hardstanding pitch.we got there no about to check in with only bit of hardstanding we could see had what looked like a new age traveller 7.5 ton lorry parked across it and in front of that was a car taking up the rest of the so called hardstanding,toilet looked like a run down stable.We ended up leaving as there was no room to park.place was really poor compared to 4 years ago.For a club cl it was a damn disgrace.TRY IT AT YOUR PERIL.

Moderator Comment - This is not a story as specified by the T&C's. I will move it to the CL section in discussions but you really need to create a review.

Rufs replied on 11/01/2020 09:04

Posted on 10/01/2020 15:41 by

Pretty simple to set up training sessions for inspectors to use predetermined criteria to decide ratings based mainly on established criteria. 

Posted on 11/01/2020 09:04

arent CL's part of the clubs revenue stream?, why risk losing some of this revenue by using possibly over zealous inspectors, when they can use local volunteers who probably bag a couple of free nights camping as a perk of the job undecided

thebells replied on 11/01/2020 12:02

Posted on 10/01/2020 14:27 by nelliethehooker

I think an inspection by a ‘mystery camper’ would be preferable.

I'd be up for that, expenses paid of course.laughingwink

Posted on 11/01/2020 12:02

You'd definitely get my vote: we've stayed on a few cls that you've reviewed and you've always been spot on.

As a CL lover all I want is an accurate description and if any facilities are advertised (which isn't a prerequisite for us) that they are fit for purpose. We've stayed on 2 where the shower and toilet facilities definitely were not! 

We booked one particular cl because it had a shower. We knew in advance that we couldn't use the one in our van (as it had started leaking through van floor and was booked in at a future date to be repaired under warranty). However,  the cl shower head was so covered in limescale that the water barely trickled out so using it was an unpleasant, cold and lengthy process! I pointed this out in my review of the site and yet others (who admitted they hadn't used it) said it "looked" fine to them! 

You really do have to be able to read between the lines with people's reviews of cls and this is an art I'm slowly getting better at! I do love cls and don't let the one or two bad ones we've encountered put us off:sadly though I think it does put some people off which is a great shame as there are some fantastic cls out there.

Wherenext replied on 11/01/2020 13:37

Posted on 11/01/2020 13:37

Couldn't agree more with you thebells. We tend to know which reviewers to trust, and not just those who are on CT,  and yes you do need to read between the lines. Some peoples concerns wouldn't matter to us, for example poor TV reception as we don't take one so you tend to do quite a bit of sifting through.

In general I do agree that there club could/should do more to engage better reviewers. They should also demand that all CLs provide photos giving an overall impression of the CL. No photos at all does lead one to wonder what they're hiding yet we've stayed on a few that have turned out fine but only after reading good reviews from members.

wildemere replied on 11/01/2020 16:08

Posted on 11/01/2020 09:04 by Rufs

arent CL's part of the clubs revenue stream?, why risk losing some of this revenue by using possibly over zealous inspectors, when they can use local volunteers who probably bag a couple of free nights camping as a perk of the job undecided

Posted on 11/01/2020 16:08

Rufs

No Cl's are not a revenue stream for the Club, in fact they costs the club money, The Inspectors get expenses and the Bi annual book has to be printed, together with staff at headquarters to be paid. The whole system is run as a service to the members. As a CL owner I have to operate to certain standards. and supply documents to prove this. All of which add hidden costs. As a club member and a caravaner that uses CL's I am happy with that.

Rufs replied on 11/01/2020 16:13

Posted on 11/01/2020 16:08 by wildemere

Rufs

No Cl's are not a revenue stream for the Club, in fact they costs the club money, The Inspectors get expenses and the Bi annual book has to be printed, together with staff at headquarters to be paid. The whole system is run as a service to the members. As a CL owner I have to operate to certain standards. and supply documents to prove this. All of which add hidden costs. As a club member and a caravaner that uses CL's I am happy with that.

Posted on 11/01/2020 16:13

thank you good to know , guess it is down to the individual CL to create a good impression if they are to retain business.

Tinwheeler replied on 11/01/2020 16:21

Posted on 11/01/2020 16:08 by wildemere

Rufs

Posted on 11/01/2020 16:21

In return the club collects a membership fee from every site owner and uses the CLs to boost the site network. It’s anybody's guess how many members pay their subscriptions to the club purely because they want to use CLs so it’s debatable whether CLs are a financial gain or drain to the club. Whichever, long may they continue👍🏻

nelliethehooker replied on 11/01/2020 20:18

Posted on 11/01/2020 20:18

In general I do agree that there club could/should do more to engage better reviewers. They should also demand that all CLs provide photos giving an overall impression of the CL. No photos at all does lead one to wonder what they're hiding yet we've stayed on a few that have turned out fine but only after reading good reviews from members.

Although they do say that a photo is worth a thousand words they can also give a false impression, as we've found out recently. However I would much more readily look to book a CL with a set of photos showing the site from various angles than some which give only one shot of the site and a whole load of other photos that show the what's in the area to visit, or those without any photos at all. Again we try and read between the lines of the site reviews and the details supplied by the site owners before we choose which ones we'll visit.

Fysherman replied on 17/02/2020 12:20

Posted on 17/02/2020 12:20

Totally agree NTH. Only pictures of the site and the pitches needed. Gereric photos of the area are obtainable elsewhere.

Never noticed a CL site inspector visiting a site in many years of CL camping. Wonder how you become one? Must be a hundred CL's within easy visiting distance of where I live in the Yorkshire Dales.

Would do it free of any charge to help the club and members

Takethedogalong replied on 17/02/2020 14:31

Posted on 17/02/2020 14:31

We have actually been on a CL when an inspector called! Unannounced of course (nothing wrong with that) but the very busy farmer was expected to drop everything instantly. On this occasion he couldn’t (needed for a going wrong calving). Inspector got a little huffy, did a cursory walk round, didn’t speak to any of us happily sat outside and that’s the last we saw of him. It was an excellent CL, so he wouldn’t have found much wrong anyway. Might have been in touch later of course. 

Some of the tales we have heard about inspection visits have had us puzzling as well. One or two times, CLs that have been inspected for years, happily still part of network, are suddenly told you need this, this and this....not H&S stuff, but more what the inspector things users want. All adds up to a lot of expense for CL owners, and of course makes them question whether it’s still worth it.

lagerorwine replied on 17/02/2020 15:29

Posted on 17/02/2020 15:29

We use CLs, and my usual criteria is always -

location most important (where we want to be, and not down a single track approach road), does it have EHU, then size of CL (ample space, 1/2 acre min), then if more than one CL is still on the list, check reviews, Google earth for layout etc, and availability.

Bungalow with 1/2 acre of manicured lawn is always preferable to CLs containing the word Farm in their name, with accompanying 2 feet high meadow grass, and a tap 300m from pitches!

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook