N E C Show, Feb 2020

ABM replied on 02/02/2020 20:15

Posted on 02/02/2020 20:15

Its a little over two weeks to the February Show at Birmingham N E C.

Will any body be going and what will you be looking at. New vans ??  accessories ??  or just fresh ideas ??

Bluemalaga replied on 12/02/2020 11:53

Posted on 03/02/2020 11:42 by JVB66

According to a Motor Caravan salesman("executive?") from a large multi site dealership, the majority of sales these days are cash via equity release or pension pots , so are not youngsterswink, and quite a few are to those who have not done the "camping " type holidays before,  surprised

Posted on 12/02/2020 11:53

Interesting comment JVB. We go to spring and Autumn shows purely for a day out, but usually come home with something we had not planned on, Not great value stuff, just a gadget or two.

We go on different days each year depending on our diary ( which is usually empty these days ) and have noted that a vast majority of visitors are of the more senior types like ourselves. Perhaps this is why the sites we visit are also made up of the older brigade. My children and grandchildren and their friends show no interest in this type of holiday, preferring to take a short hop across to the Med and stay in a villa.

The smaller number of halls than previous may reflect the decline in demand for caravanning holidays going forward with bigger vans, costing enough to cover several years cheap holidays abroad, needing bigger cars that will be no longer available as we move to the electric era of transport.

I would guess the future will be more Glamping and camping with less caravanning. Last spring, we towed our van from Glos to Suffolk and stayed for a week near Minsmere costing over £250 in fees and fuel, compared to a couple who spent the same week on a nearby site to ours staying in a new mobile home with all mod-cons paying just £105 no outlay on a van or large towcar for the same holiday.

I know it is personal choice, but the choice going into the future is less attractive to go caravanning purely on finance, when it was once considered a cheaper holiday option.

Sorry it has wandered off topic, but it does support the salesman's explanation.

JVB66 replied on 12/02/2020 12:00

Posted on 12/02/2020 12:00

It may also be why more sites , and not just the two major players are diversifying into other forms of accomodation on sites ,a bit of "blue sky thinking?" for the future ,  the ccsurprised

I understand that "our club" is now installing pods that are now meeting the accesable for every one ideas, that are wheel chair etc friendlycool

Bluemalaga replied on 12/02/2020 13:14

Posted on 12/02/2020 12:00 by JVB66

It may also be why more sites , and not just the two major players are diversifying into other forms of accomodation on sites ,a bit of "blue sky thinking?" for the future ,  the ccsurprised

I understand that "our club" is now installing pods that are now meeting the accesable for every one ideas, that are wheel chair etc friendlycool

Posted on 12/02/2020 13:14

OH NO not another rebrand

MGCC

Motorhome, Glamping and Camping Club

ABM replied on 12/02/2020 16:00

Posted on 12/02/2020 16:00

Damn !! For a moment there BlueM I thought you said  MCG surprised!!  Lots of noisy Aussies there, not to mention loads of smoke & not just from the barbies  wink

DSB replied on 14/02/2020 23:41

Posted on 02/02/2020 20:15 by ABM

Its a little over two weeks to the February Show at Birmingham N E C.

Will any body be going and what will you be looking at. New vans ??  accessories ??  or just fresh ideas ??

Posted on 14/02/2020 23:41

Oh Brian!!!  I'm goingvon Tuesday.  You know very well what I'll be looking at - in fact, more than looking!!!  As well as good old Snowdonia Cheese, I'll be visiting the Colapz Stand - they're hoping to unveil their 45 litre water and waste containers.  Hoping they will be collapsible so as to save space and weight.  I'll so pop along to say hello to John Rose at Rose Awnings.  Of course, I'll drop in on the CAMC stand... and we need to replace our outside chairs, so I may do a little more than look! laughing.

Just keep me away from the new caravans!!!

David

ABM replied on 15/02/2020 14:30

Posted on 15/02/2020 14:30

Oh Gawd, thank you, David, For reminding me --  it had fallen out of my tiny little mind  !!  I must get myself sorted --  SHARPISH !! Now where is that tee shirt & polo  I got from young Merve ,, ,, ,, ,, ,, ,, ,, ,,

tricia11 replied on 16/02/2020 13:27

Posted on 16/02/2020 13:27

Not in Caravan ? Staying on site with the Caravan and Motorhome club.

Shame on you🤔 Dreamer1.

JVB66 replied on 16/02/2020 13:37

Posted on 16/02/2020 13:37

Well i am now thinking of going  this year on the camc day  by train, hope the free coach is still running from just at bottom of steps from station over bridge,and taking some sarnies and a cold drink, so the,whole day out, if as usual do not now buy at the show , will cost me £4.50 cool

ABM replied on 16/02/2020 15:31

Posted on 16/02/2020 15:31

1:00 to 2:00 on the Club Stand for lunch  wink

Little ruckky over one of Merve's Burgundy Fleeces I think innocent (weather dependent !! ) Full head of white hair & beard with specs  over a daft grin probably  embarassed

RowenaBCAMC replied on 17/02/2020 11:23

Posted on 17/02/2020 11:23

I hope everyone going to the show has a great time. Look forward to hearing what you see and your show highlights. 

Here's a short video of the show set up: 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook