N.E.C Temp Site October 2018

moulesy replied on 15/10/2018 15:24

Posted on 15/10/2018 15:24

Possibly a bit late now, but for future reference, can recommend Gate Farm CL at Fen End as an excellent stopover. No shower/toilet, just a great CL with easy access, large HS pitches and very helpful and welcoming owners! smile

peedee replied on 17/10/2018 08:06

Posted on 17/10/2018 08:06

I suppose while there are people prepared to pay the high price, and I understand it is full most if not all nights, prices will remain high. Fortunately it is a day trip for me but if I wanted an overnight, it would be my last choice of where to stay.

peedee

SteveL replied on 17/10/2018 08:37

Posted on 17/10/2018 08:37

If as  DK suggested up thread, the price reflects the cost of setting it up, then if folk were not prepared to pay the prices, it just wouldn't be viable to run it.

We also are able to travel there / back in a day but I can understand those who can't paying for the convenience of just hopping on a shuttle bus, rather than staying off site and having to drive in.

young thomas replied on 17/10/2018 09:29

Posted on 17/10/2018 09:29

Steve, the 'normal' car parking is included with the ticket price. MHs can also be parked there for free.

IMV, the issue with the CC temprary site is exactly as you say, the set up costs....

however, these costs are not required.

im sure the majority of folk park for one night with a small percentage staying for two nights...? i can't see that anyone would want to stay there longer than that....

so, you have to arrive after lunch (to wait for those leaving to exit) and you have to leave before lunch to make way for the incoming vans.

this means you probably won't visit the show day one, you've missed a lot of time, and it closes late afternoon/early evening, so you stay in your van and visit the next day.

to do this, you'll need to move your van to the public car park at around 9:30 and visit from there, and then drive home (or elsewhere) that evening.

so, you've arrived at, say 2pm, you have to leave at 9:30am...you're on the 'site' for 19.5hrs....

back to my 'issue' with the 'set up costs' ......who needs the provision of an EHU for 3/4 of one day?

even discounting the 'entertainment' it's the huge unnecessary rank of generators and cabling that costs the money.....to acheive what?

vans arrive with fully charged leisure batteries, everyone has gas.

why does anyone need a hook up for such a short time?

its only 6amps ....1300 odd watts....this can only run a Combi on its lowest electric setting (900w) or an ALDE on 1kw.

as running other appliances at the same time is likely to cause problems, most will use gas if heating required, similarly gas for any cooking and most TVs are 12v.

...so why bother at all?

without all this unnecessary infrastructure, the costs would be massively reduced and extra space for more vans would be available.

if these are the costs that have to be passed on to the customer, don't have those costs in the first place.

replied on 17/10/2018 10:08

Posted on 17/10/2018 10:08

It may be that many want EHU? I agree it would be sensible to perhaps offer an area without. 

peedee replied on 17/10/2018 11:13

Posted on 17/10/2018 11:13

I think the C&CC were the first to establish a site at the NEC, they gave it up, possibly because the rental demanded by the NEC was too high? The CMC took it over. Setting up EHU could cost as much as £6 per night. The National is now also all electric which for me is off putting because it again puts up the cost of just a few nights on a grass pitch of dubious quality. Warners shows are better value.

peedee

DavidKlyne replied on 17/10/2018 11:16

Posted on 17/10/2018 11:16

Despite all the protestations to the contrary the site is clearly popular and people are willing to pay the price. What is the incentive or need for the Club to do things differently? For those not wishing to use the temporary campsite there is the option for free parking during the day which it seemed many hundreds of motorhomers were taking advantage of. 

What does surprise me, in a way, is that the NEC don't organise the camping on a more permanent basis as there are probably lots of shows where attendees might be using a motorhome, or a caravan? 

David

cyberyacht replied on 17/10/2018 11:30

Posted on 17/10/2018 11:30

Last year I stopped on a public car park at Stratford for an overnight fee of a couple of quid and had a half hour drive in the morning, arriving in time for the opening at 10:00. I had had enough well before closing time.

young thomas replied on 17/10/2018 14:56

Posted on 17/10/2018 11:16 by DavidKlyne

Despite all the protestations to the contrary the site is clearly popular and people are willing to pay the price. What is the incentive or need for the Club to do things differently? For those not wishing to use the temporary campsite there is the option for free parking during the day which it seemed many hundreds of motorhomers were taking advantage of. 

What does surprise me, in a way, is that the NEC don't organise the camping on a more permanent basis as there are probably lots of shows where attendees might be using a motorhome, or a caravan? 

David

Posted on 17/10/2018 14:56

David, you are fortunate to be able to comfortably get up and back in a day, it's not so easy for some.

if I want to do it in a day, i can drive the car, and park in the car park, a five hour return trip. pretty exhausting on top of a days tramping around.

i could do the same trip in the van (and park for free as you say) but what's the point, it just costs more to get there...

so, I'd much rather stop over but it won't be to hand over £36 or whatever it is....

those vans you see in the car park are either driven up and back the same day or have made some other sleeping arrangements as they have to move (somewhere, home or to a 'site') at 6pm.

yes, its convenient to stay on the club site, but IMHO it's an over managed, over priced facility....which is why I don't use it...

to stay on the cc site for 19 hrs or so doesn't require any fancy kit like solar panels, refillable gas or the like......pretty much any old caravan or MH can operate in total comfort for that length of time without the requirement of a hook up. 

i have two free tickets in my pocket but I don't see the club site as good value....I dont want EHU and I certainly don't want some dubious  'entertaining'.

remove that and we could all park overnight at a sensible rate.

id pay a tenner, or perhaps even £15 at a stretch.

i realise this view won't make a jot of difference and the club will carry on ramping up the price as it does with its sites.

£36 for a car parking space is taking the mick in my book.

id rather park at the Harvester up the road and have an overnighter after a meal..

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook