N.E.C Temp Site October 2018

DavidKlyne replied on 17/10/2018 17:11

Posted on 17/10/2018 17:11

BB

It may not be a particularly long journey from MK but no way is it a comfortable one given the road works and the density of traffic. I now wish we had gone by train it would have been far more relaxing. Funnily enough Margaret and I had a similar conversation but on a slightly different tack. The bus to and from the station would have been free. The train fare would have been about £20 for the one hour twenty minute service or £40 for the Virgin service taking about half an hour. I would have preferred the latter but Margaret thought it too much money so we went by car!!!  At least we didn't have to pay for tickets. So there are all types of choices available to everyone. There are probably quite a few campsites around and about that would have been shorter journey to the NEC than Milton Keynes for you had you wished to do it that way. Unfortunately things are as they are and as I have said previously whilst the Club judge it to be a success at current charges I don't see that it will change. I think if we lived the distance away that you do my choice would be to stay in a budget hotel and travel by car or rail. Either that or build a visit to the show into a longer trip with the show being a one day diversion.

David

young thomas replied on 17/10/2018 18:37

Posted on 17/10/2018 18:37

a 'budget' hotel on the NEC complex was around £250 for a double room.

a hotel a little further out (requiring driving) was around £160. 

DavidKlyne replied on 17/10/2018 21:21

Posted on 17/10/2018 18:37 by young thomas

a 'budget' hotel on the NEC complex was around £250 for a double room.

a hotel a little further out (requiring driving) was around £160. 

Posted on 17/10/2018 21:21

So surely BB you are not at long last recognising that the nightly fee charged by the CMC for the temporary campsite is good valuewink

David

young thomas replied on 18/10/2018 09:35

Posted on 17/10/2018 21:21 by DavidKlyne

So surely BB you are not at long last recognising that the nightly fee charged by the CMC for the temporary campsite is good valuewink

David

Posted on 18/10/2018 09:35

the C&CC THS at Croxall farm is around £10 a night, I think it was £8 a couple of years ago when I last used it.

so, David, none of this will ever convince me that CC aren't providing an over the top facility at an over the top price....

good value? no chance. the going rate for CC, too right. 

last year, in the car, we suffered the horrendous traffic jams in leaving the site being reported on another thread, a similar 3 hrs just to reach the Mway.

so, to avoid this, it seems it's better to leave in the morning, rather than at the show closing time.

this means driving up in the van early in the morning, parking in the free car park (as you can't get on the CC site), visit show, move van to CC site at (say) 6 pm, sleep in van, leave (say) 10am.

doing it this way round, we would now have spent a leisurely 16hrs for our £36, even 'better' value...not than the 19.5hrs spent when doing it the other way round.

as I said, I'd 'happily' pay even £15 for an overnight parking space, no entertainment, no EHU, just parking.

anyway, that ain't going to happen, so I'm not going to stay there.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook