Charging for Wi-Fi

tentpegs replied on 25/06/2023 18:01

Posted on 25/06/2023 18:01

Charging for Wi-Fi. With the dramatic increase in prices how come the Caravan Club justify charging for Wi-Fi?

Currently I’m sitting on a camping in camping and Caravan club siteUsing the Internet without charges. 

Hja replied on 28/07/2023 13:29

Posted on 28/07/2023 13:29

What I don’t understand it why anyone who is reliant on more than basic internet relies on site Wi-Fi. Why not get your own system? I understand the frustration if people think the site has Wi-Fi and it doesn’t, but do people seriously only book into sites with Wi-Fi available?

We have a mifi system which we had installed when we bought the van. We had previously tried using phones as hotspots, unsuccessfully. On the whole our system works well. Other things about a site are far more important than Wi-Fi. If the site has free Wi-Fi we may well use it - saves our data. But usually only for email and some websites, rarely do we find site internet able to eg  view a YouTube video. Incidentally, the CCC has free internet across their sites,  but our experience is that it can be a bit flakey.

SteveL replied on 28/07/2023 13:56

Posted on 28/07/2023 13:56

Perhaps they only use CAMC sites for their annual 2 / 3 weeks holiday and don’t need a large data plan otherwise. The upgraded paid for system is supposed to allow streaming, so I assume must be fibre based, but there is no info on likely speeds.

When the campsites have been upgraded, we'll be offering FREE Wi-Fi to pitch at 115 campsites where you can check emails, post to social media, and search and browse the internet. You will also have the option to upgrade to our Premium Wi-Fi service at 101 campsites which will enable you to download and upload large files, stream music and watch videos.

peedee replied on 28/07/2023 15:34

Posted on 28/07/2023 14:56 by Navigateur

Are there now only 115 sites left?  There used to be over 200!

Posted on 28/07/2023 15:34

There never was 200, at least 50 of those would be affiliated sites. The Club only owns/manages about 150 sites. I guess there must be some sites either already upgraded or an upgrade is not possible.

peedee

SteveL replied on 28/07/2023 16:17

Posted on 28/07/2023 15:34 by peedee

There never was 200, at least 50 of those would be affiliated sites. The Club only owns/manages about 150 sites. I guess there must be some sites either already upgraded or an upgrade is not possible.

peedee

Posted on 28/07/2023 16:17

It does say 115 WiFi to the pitch. There are also some sites that have only ever had hotspots, I suspect those won’t be upgraded to site wide.

jgrove replied on 30/07/2023 13:01

Posted on 28/07/2023 13:13 by Tinwheeler

There are far more than 2 choices, JG.

However, are you aware of the system upgrade which you can read in the link in my post quoted at the top of the page?

Posted on 30/07/2023 13:01

No there isn't, it's either delivered by cable or delivered by radio. Bandwidth is the issue, not how it's delivered. I am not sure you fully understand how this works

Tinwheeler replied on 30/07/2023 13:17

Posted on 30/07/2023 13:01 by jgrove

No there isn't, it's either delivered by cable or delivered by radio. Bandwidth is the issue, not how it's delivered. I am not sure you fully understand how this works

Posted on 30/07/2023 13:17

Actually, it is you who appears to have misunderstood my post.

You said:

"….you have 2 choices, a 4G/5G Mobile Broadband Dongle, which you will need to preload with data based on the areas signal strength you are going to, keeping in mind that in peak season the cell towers will be saturated with users and will dynamically alter bandwidth.

Or you get a Starling system on a roaming profile again with an upfront fee and high monthly charges, but with very fast connection"

I was pointing out there are more than those 2 choices. There is no need for preloaded dongles or expensive satellite systems to achieve delivery. I assume you were referring to the Starlinsatellite system? 

Anyway, take a look at the link I posted about the upgraded site system.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook