C&MC Tourism Aires

CraigPowell replied on 05/08/2022 11:50

Posted on 05/08/2022 11:50

Reading the latest magazine about developing tourism, has any thought been given to the club getting more involved with attractions to provide more formal parking and potentially stopovers for caravans and motorhomes? Having bookable places in a dedicated part of the car park with nominal charges for overnight stays? Maybe partner with National Trust or English Heritage? I accept probably not of much interest to caravaners but certainly motorhome tourers are sometimes deterred by disorganised or hard to access parking.

DavidKlyne replied on 15/08/2022 14:15

Posted on 15/08/2022 14:15

I have tentatively been looking at Wales for a trip next year. Portmeirion was one option as I knew they had built a special overnight motorhome parking on site. I got a bit of a shock when I looked at the prices which from memory range between £50 and £70 a night depending on size. Now the price does include the entrance fee into the village and you also have free access to some of the facilities. So for one night it might not be such bad value? However give that most would probably won't to spend a minimum of two nights it suddenly becomes very expensive! It seems very similar to what the NT have done at Stourhead.

David

SteveL replied on 15/08/2022 15:14

Posted on 15/08/2022 14:15 by DavidKlyne

I have tentatively been looking at Wales for a trip next year. Portmeirion was one option as I knew they had built a special overnight motorhome parking on site. I got a bit of a shock when I looked at the prices which from memory range between £50 and £70 a night depending on size. Now the price does include the entrance fee into the village and you also have free access to some of the facilities. So for one night it might not be such bad value? However give that most would probably won't to spend a minimum of two nights it suddenly becomes very expensive! It seems very similar to what the NT have done at Stourhead.

David

Posted on 15/08/2022 15:14

I’ve also looked at that and I believe there is a two night minimum. So for us on an 8m pitch £70 a night. Minus the £27 for two senior tickets, equals £56.50 a night. Could save £20 if we would fit on a 7m pitch, but at 6.94m for our Hymer it would depend on how generous they are. However, although they call it parking, it’s more of a campsite. EHU, tap on pitch, toilets, shower and WiFi, 2pm earliest arrival.  I suppose at peak it’s not that much more than some CAMC sites, particularly if you go into Portmeirion both days.

replied on 15/08/2022 15:18

Posted on 15/08/2022 14:15 by DavidKlyne

David

Posted on 15/08/2022 15:18

The user and all related content has been deleted

replied on 15/08/2022 15:21

Posted on 15/08/2022 15:14 by SteveL

I’ve also looked at that and I believe there is a two night minimum. So for us on an 8m pitch £70 a night. Minus the £27 for two senior tickets, equals £56.50 a night. Could save £20 if we would fit on a 7m pitch, but at 6.94m for our Hymer it would depend on how generous they are. However, although they call it parking, it’s more of a campsite. EHU, tap on pitch, toilets, shower and WiFi, 2pm earliest arrival.  I suppose at peak it’s not that much more than some CAMC sites, particularly if you go into Portmeirion both days.

Posted on 15/08/2022 15:21

brue replied on 15/08/2022 15:51

Posted on 15/08/2022 15:18 by

As check in is from 2pm and departure by 10 am, I rather think 2 nights will be needed to do it justice, and explore the grounds, woodlands and beaches. 

I'll happily pay the price asked as I love the place. In fact, I have booked a suite in the hotel for 3 nights sometime in November but will try and fit in a run up there to use the motorhome facility beforehand. And I'd book a table for dinner at Castell Deudraeth and use the mini bus service to get up there. (Alas, the main hotel dining room is not available, but  Caffi’r Sgwâr - or Caffi Glas, not sure - now stays open until 8pm.)

Posted on 15/08/2022 15:51

We've stayed in the hotel, it's lovely and I definitely think a two day stay with a motorhome is worth it. It's all expensive but it's quite a treat. I wonder if the outdoor swimming pool is available as well? Overall I think people might enjoy it if the entrance fee is included, it's so unique and in a beautiful estuary setting.

SteveL replied on 15/08/2022 15:55

Posted on 15/08/2022 15:21 by

There isn't a 2 night minimum. 

Posted on 15/08/2022 15:55

That’s not what it says on the web site I have been looking at……

Each pitch price is for two people one night, two nights minimum stay

replied on 15/08/2022 17:01

Posted on 15/08/2022 15:55 by SteveL

That’s not what it says on the web site I have been looking at……

Each pitch price is for two people one night, two nights minimum stay

Posted on 15/08/2022 17:01

SteveL replied on 15/08/2022 17:49

Posted on 15/08/2022 17:01 by

I cannot see which website you are using, but it doesn't say that on the Portmeirion website. 

I rang reception earlier this afternoon to enquire if the mini bus service is available to people staying on the motorhome park (it is) and queried the 2 night stay, among other things. I was told that at first there was a minimum stay, but they have suspended that - things are developing and changing as it is so new.

Posted on 15/08/2022 17:49

Presumably they weren’t getting enough advance bookings, although if we use it, which we probably will at some time, it will be for two days. For the location the price charged is acceptable.

peedee replied on 15/08/2022 20:13

Posted on 15/08/2022 20:13

I've been there a few times, last time about 5 years ago. Stayed on a CS near Criccieth and parked for free in the Portmeirion car park. While the access road is narrow it is a one way system. Probably completely changed by now.

peedee

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook