Ownership

Pathfinder replied on 06/04/2022 21:30

Posted on 06/04/2022 21:30

Having asked this question before and not getting an answer, like many other members.

Who owns the ‘club’ ?

Wherenext replied on 08/04/2022 20:33

Posted on 08/04/2022 20:33

Many caravans cost almost as much as half a small house in the North of the UK

Terraced House in Oldham sold recently for £89,000

Beach Hut in Southwold, Suffolk sold a couple of years ago for more than £150,000

What North/South divide?🤫

So a fairly normal large Motorhome would cost more than a house up north but less than a beach hut down south. Makes one think a tad.

nelliethehooker replied on 08/04/2022 21:35

Posted on 08/04/2022 21:35

Whilst it may be 'many', its not all, and, maybe, even not most and I would think most ease themselves in with an older, cheaper, van to begin with and then upgrade as finances allow.

From what we've seen that is no longer the case, although when we started out that was the way. Now it's more like they get the biggest flashiest units they can, whether they can afford off of not.

JVB66 replied on 10/04/2022 07:33

Posted on 10/04/2022 07:33

The biggest and flashiest units seem as told to me by sales men at dealers is caused by several scenarios

1 people down sizinig their,prperties

2 equity release

3 money that children have inherited from relations 

Al l of which was virtually unheard of  when we were younger

Hence it seems why so many think it is still a reasonably priced way of having holidays

Graydjames replied on 11/04/2022 11:17

Posted on 08/04/2022 09:57 by JollyKernow

Morning

mbee, just for your information, there are many same sex couple out on the sites network, as well as people of a different race. This goes back at least to when I started 12 years ago.The club employs people of any race, colour or sex. They don't discriminate in any way. Site staff usually work as a couple so it's obviously easier to employ them as such. There are as it goes lots of roles on sites for single people. I think your opinion seems to be very blinkered (in my opinion).

JK

Posted on 11/04/2022 11:17

I am perfectly certain that the CMC do not discriminate in any way; to do so would be an outrage not to say illegal! I would hope you are merely stating a truism.  

Nonetheless, I have never seen a person of colour as a site manager, or assistant, in 35 years. I have seen a gay couple - at Seacroft in, I think, 2015; so once only - to my knowledge.

But one rarely sees persons of colour on sites, as campers, so I suppose it is hardly surprising that none, or very few, apply to be site managers.

It must be difficult to take on single people as site managers; for a start you would need  extra accommodation - perhaps taking up an extra pitch that would otherwise be revenue generating. Nonetheless, as a single person myself, it strikes me as disappointing that, in all probability, a position as a site manager would be unlikely unless I were part of a couple.        

JVB66 replied on 11/04/2022 11:23

Posted on 11/04/2022 11:17 by Graydjames

I am perfectly certain that the CMC do not discriminate in any way; to do so would be an outrage not to say illegal! I would hope you are merely stating a truism.  

Nonetheless, I have never seen a person of colour as a site manager, or assistant, in 35 years. I have seen a gay couple - at Seacroft in, I think, 2015; so once only - to my knowledge.

But one rarely sees persons of colour on sites, as campers, so I suppose it is hardly surprising that none, or very few, apply to be site managers.

It must be difficult to take on single people as site managers; for a start you would need  extra accommodation - perhaps taking up an extra pitch that would otherwise be revenue generating. Nonetheless, as a single person myself, it strikes me as disappointing that, in all probability, a position as a site manager would be unlikely unless I were part of a couple.        

Posted on 11/04/2022 11:23

There.are several single site managers and now groundspersons  working for the club but the problems arise as to how a single person will fit in a site rota 

JVB66 replied on 11/04/2022 11:36

Posted on 11/04/2022 11:28 by Takethedogalong

JV, you are speculating, the Club would resolve rotas.

Here is link to Working on our Sites webpage that explains more….

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/about-us/work-for-us/on-our-sites/assistant-site-manager/

Posted on 11/04/2022 11:36

Not speculation ,just what managers past and present have  advised wink

hence the information fir singles on the recruitment website surprised

Some very large and busy. Sites have an overall manager who is not in the rota Brighton was or is one

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook