Heydon newbies

JudyandPeter replied on 19/10/2023 17:46

Posted on 19/10/2023 17:46

Hello, we are Judy and Peter, living just outside Heydon, 6 miles south of Holt. And we are total caravanning newbies!

The inspiration came from Millionaire Motorhomes, but on the basis of expense and other factors, we've decided we'd like a caravan. But are a bit overwhelmed with both the choice and the limitations. Where to start??

Already we have some ideas about what we do and don't want. We know we need two separate sleeping areas front and back - he snores and jiffles! So we want a (probably) central washroom so that we can individually use the loo overnight without disturbing the other. A large fridge including a large freezer for the dogs' frozen food. TV conveniently situated in the lounge.

We don't want an 8ft wide van as the lanes near us are quite narrow and twisty. Fine unless you encounter a monstrous agricultural machine or a truck. Don't want an island bed that has to be pulled out for sleeping.

We'd prefer wet central heating. A shower with reasonable power.

We've seen many vans that have lots of these features but none so far that include everything. One bugbear I have with central washrooms is that the shower is almost always over the wheel housing, which then intrudes into the shower base.

Adria is a favoured brand so far tho it's very early days. We would have gone to the current show at the NEC but couldn't find dogsitters. We've organised now to go in February but would like to have a much shorter short list before we go!

Don't have a fixed budget but of course there's a limit, probably something like £35K, but would prefer under £30K, and would consider secondhand.

Any hints, tips and tricks from those in the know??? Thanks!

Moderator Comment - Moved from Story Section

richardandros replied on 04/01/2024 16:07

Posted on 04/01/2024 16:07

I also think you have made a wise choice J&P - looks a nice van. 

You asked in your original post if we had any hints tips or tricks - how about this one.....

If you intend using your van all year round - as we do - one of the best mods I have done is to fit an electric towel rail. I just don't know what we have done over Christmas when it was either blowing a gale or lashing down with rain or more usually, both! They don't draw much power (about 500w) but using it meant we had dry towels every day, whereas without it, we wouldn't. It also takes the chill out of the bathroom.

They're a bit heavy so the internal wall you fix it to would have to be reinforced but it looks like there might be room in your toilet enclosure and a matching panel could be fixed on the other side. ( With ours, it was very easy - fixed to the outside of one of the wardrobes in the bathroom and reinforced with two pieces of ply on the inside). Quite an easy DIY install but I'm sure your dealer could do it (for a fee!!)

Just a thought.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook