2018 Airstream Colarado dilema

Ayf replied on 15/07/2018 19:16

Posted on 15/07/2018 19:16

Good evening all, (and apologies for this long post).

My wife and I have a slight dilema over the purchase of a MY18 Airstream International Colarado. The big problem is that we don't know what car will pull it. (There's also a small matter of insurance companies declining our proposals with only 2 out of 7 quoting so far).

As it goes the standard MTPLM of the Airstream Colarado is 2,400kg and has a manufacturers quoted payload of 265kg, but this reduces to about 32kg when all of the added extras are taken into account (Reich movers, Dometic AC, huge twin batteries, ZipDee Awning, solar, extra gas and water etc). I've done a few figures and it looks as if we will need to increase the MTPLM to its max of 2,680kg just to make it legal to carry a few personal items. Crazy!

I have already read some great advice on the Caravan club site regarding tow car calculations (i.e. the 85% rule) but if I apply that to the purchase of an Airstream Colarado at 2.68T then the results are that a suitable tow car must have a minimum kerb weight of 3,152kg.

The main problem now is that unless I buy something like a secondhand Rangey Sport/Vogue then there is no MY18 car with a suitable kerb weight. As an example, the likes of Range Rover have reduced their vehicle weights quite significantly over the last few years and I'm sure that most other manufacturers will continue to follow suit to help reduce emissions etc

IMO it looks as if Swift and Airstream have initiated the sale of the big Airstreams at a time when the manufacturers are trying to radically reduce their vehicle kerb weights - this is not great for future Airstream owners.

Can anyone give me some advice on which car to purchase or am I ringfenced into buying something secondhand. I'm just wondering if Airstream has introduced something which is not that adaptable for the future UK marketplace. These vans are not cheap and as such we don't want to buy something that becomes a complete pain to own in the future.

Regards to all,

Andrew

P.S. The hitch weight is approx 168kg based on a 2,680kg MTPLM.

Navigateur replied on 10/08/2018 10:07

Posted on 10/08/2018 10:07

Firstly, the most suited towing car is a Disco-4 TDV6 HSE which has a kerb weight of just over 2.5T; this equates to a 107% ratio.

The Discovery 3 was heavier at around 2.7T depending on fitted options.

Casandra replied on 13/10/2018 11:27

Posted on 13/10/2018 11:27

Just browsing and noticed this posting about the Airstream Colorado and was a little curious, the CC has 6 of these for hire on three club sites.

The Shropshire dealer Salop Leisure quotes a price for one of these at £91,995.00! How our club can justify spending that amount of money on one unit let alone 6 of them is beyond me, unless they have them on some sort of American lease loan agreement? But heck if you want to try one out the club has some to spare.

Takethedogalong replied on 13/10/2018 11:39

Posted on 13/10/2018 11:39

I wouldn't worry overmuch C, they are virtually static units. Some folks will pay the Earth to holiday in one, much like they will to stay in a gypsy style van or other unusual style holiday lets. The Club won't have paid anything like that price for them and will have costed out the repayment period.

Ayf replied on 13/10/2018 21:02

Posted on 13/10/2018 11:27 by Casandra

Just browsing and noticed this posting about the Airstream Colorado and was a little curious, the CC has 6 of these for hire on three club sites.

The Shropshire dealer Salop Leisure quotes a price for one of these at £91,995.00! How our club can justify spending that amount of money on one unit let alone 6 of them is beyond me, unless they have them on some sort of American lease loan agreement? But heck if you want to try one out the club has some to spare.

Posted on 13/10/2018 21:02

Interestingly though, I've read all of the posted reviews from the people who have rented the six static Airstream Colorados this year and a number have made reference to the poor construction quality of the trailers. You do have to ask the question if these vans are really worth £92,000.

Mitsi Fendt replied on 14/10/2018 15:56

Posted on 14/10/2018 15:56

If it's of any help we were pitched next to a couple with an airstream a a couple of years ago. They were towing with a lLandrover Discovery (The big square one). I seem to remember them telling us tht it weighed in at around 2,600kg.

Sorry I can't be more technical than that but it may be a starting point for your research.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook