2018 Airstream Colarado dilema

Ayf replied on 15/07/2018 19:16

Posted on 15/07/2018 19:16

Good evening all, (and apologies for this long post).

My wife and I have a slight dilema over the purchase of a MY18 Airstream International Colarado. The big problem is that we don't know what car will pull it. (There's also a small matter of insurance companies declining our proposals with only 2 out of 7 quoting so far).

As it goes the standard MTPLM of the Airstream Colarado is 2,400kg and has a manufacturers quoted payload of 265kg, but this reduces to about 32kg when all of the added extras are taken into account (Reich movers, Dometic AC, huge twin batteries, ZipDee Awning, solar, extra gas and water etc). I've done a few figures and it looks as if we will need to increase the MTPLM to its max of 2,680kg just to make it legal to carry a few personal items. Crazy!

I have already read some great advice on the Caravan club site regarding tow car calculations (i.e. the 85% rule) but if I apply that to the purchase of an Airstream Colarado at 2.68T then the results are that a suitable tow car must have a minimum kerb weight of 3,152kg.

The main problem now is that unless I buy something like a secondhand Rangey Sport/Vogue then there is no MY18 car with a suitable kerb weight. As an example, the likes of Range Rover have reduced their vehicle weights quite significantly over the last few years and I'm sure that most other manufacturers will continue to follow suit to help reduce emissions etc

IMO it looks as if Swift and Airstream have initiated the sale of the big Airstreams at a time when the manufacturers are trying to radically reduce their vehicle kerb weights - this is not great for future Airstream owners.

Can anyone give me some advice on which car to purchase or am I ringfenced into buying something secondhand. I'm just wondering if Airstream has introduced something which is not that adaptable for the future UK marketplace. These vans are not cheap and as such we don't want to buy something that becomes a complete pain to own in the future.

Regards to all,

Andrew

P.S. The hitch weight is approx 168kg based on a 2,680kg MTPLM.

replied on 16/07/2018 13:10

Posted on 16/07/2018 13:10

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Ayf replied on 16/07/2018 13:40

Posted on 16/07/2018 13:10 by

Have you considered an ex MOD vehicle.  I'm sure there must be something out there that can take the nose weight and fully loaded weight.  By the way what does the van manufacturer recommend?

Posted on 16/07/2018 13:40

Thanks DD, I'll check out the MODs disposal center for ideas. That would make a very special tow car eh.

We spent an hour at the dealer yesterday and the only thing that is logged on their system for a van with an MTPLM of 2.4T is a MY17 Range Rover Sport. There are no MY18 vehicles from any current manufacturer on the Swift master list.

The problem that we've got is that we would be registering at 2,680kg to stay legal so that makes things even more difficult.

I even checked out a Mercedes GLS today but the trailer weight ratio to car is still 112%.

Thanks for the post-up

Ayf replied on 16/07/2018 13:44

Posted on 16/07/2018 12:30 by brue

Are you actually interested in this or do you feel that none of them are going to sell because you feel there is nothing that will tow them and you just want to point this out? If the latter there will be suitable tow vehicles and these type of vans will also appeal to people wanting to site a van for long term use, either as a holiday let or their own use.

Posted on 16/07/2018 13:44

As a footnote which tow vehicle, capable of towing a 2.7T caravan safely, would you advise we purchase for a 1st Sep-18 registration. 

brue replied on 16/07/2018 14:09

Posted on 16/07/2018 14:09

As I have said before these types of vans are often permanently sited in the UK. I expect they are delivered on trucks much the same way as other "static" types are seen being delivered. You could ask the club if you are interested in how they arrive on sites? I expect you will have seen the various very large circus and fairground vans being towed by trucks and similar vehicles so they are moveable but not by conventional means.

smilesmilesmile

JayEss replied on 16/07/2018 15:07

Posted on 16/07/2018 15:07

A rather inelegant solution would be to get a commercial flat bed tow truck. You could transport a runaround on the flat bed and tow the van. 

It may look like the fair is coming to town. 

I can't find anything in the sub 3.5t bracket that would suit I'm afraid. I think many vehicles would struggle - our pick up tows magnificently at 1500kg but I don't think it would handle nearly twice that weight especially well even though it's plated to do so 

DavidKlyne replied on 16/07/2018 15:36

Posted on 16/07/2018 15:36

One option might be a big American pick up truck, perhaps something like a big Ford obviously it would be left hand side but it might have the towing capacity? Don't where you would find one,perhaps near an American air base?

David

Ayf replied on 16/07/2018 15:44

Posted on 16/07/2018 15:44

Guys, thanks for the info above.  I've just phoned a very helpful lady in the Caravan Club car-van matching service but they couldn't help either. There was a bit of a stutter when I mentioned 2.7T.laughing

I even asked about the CMC Airstreams (the ones for static rent) and how they were delivered but it looks as if they were placed on the back of a flat bed truck.

Does anyone know if I can mount a caravan on a flatbed truck and still use CLs and Club site pitches, lol.laughinglaughing

Ayf replied on 16/07/2018 15:56

Posted on 16/07/2018 15:36 by DavidKlyne

One option might be a big American pick up truck, perhaps something like a big Ford obviously it would be left hand side but it might have the towing capacity? Don't where you would find one,perhaps near an American air base?

David

Posted on 16/07/2018 15:56

David, many thanks, I've been looking at the stock of a big US Import dealer today but some of their gear must be equivalent in size to bolting two Range Rovers together. There was one Supercharged Ram showing MPG stats that would make BP and Shell think twice; it was incredibly ugly too.

I'll be very honest with you David - My wife and I love the unique lines of the Airstream but we don't want to look like American wannabe's with a truck that's wearing horns on the 'hood'. (See that, I'm already there).laughing

I don't want to be starting every sentence with "Howdy Partner" when I turn up at a club sitecool

replied on 16/07/2018 16:06

Posted on 16/07/2018 16:06

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

replied on 16/07/2018 16:07

Posted on 16/07/2018 16:07

Content has been removed.
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook