Electric powered MH 2021

Takethedogalong replied on 16/11/2019 09:09

Posted on 16/11/2019 09:09

This household would love one. Empty shell to slide in custom built touring gear when required, out when using vehicle for other purposes. Proper touring as well, on non motorway routes, true exploration, hopping from stop off to stop off. Nice little two berth. 😁

young thomas replied on 16/11/2019 10:13

Posted on 16/11/2019 09:09 by Takethedogalong

This household would love one. Empty shell to slide in custom built touring gear when required, out when using vehicle for other purposes. Proper touring as well, on non motorway routes, true exploration, hopping from stop off to stop off. Nice little two berth. 😁

Posted on 16/11/2019 10:13

looks terrific and id love one too...

the 'modular' concept of converting van to MH and back again is alive in some VW vans currently.

main issue with a small finite size is getting a shower aboard for true go anywhere camping....that, to us, means away from sites and facilities.

having said that, i got two large radiators, heading for the tip (incl one at 2.2m) in our shopper Fiat 500.....with the tailgate closed!

however, a truly lovely vehicle.

obbernockle replied on 16/11/2019 10:50

Posted on 16/11/2019 10:50

I think this would be a great project for a University, take a simple EV like the Morris J and create a touring vehicle. Forget all the previous ideas, and create an enjoyable touring vehicle, using new ideas.

Youngsters with no camping knowledge, please line up!

Takethedogalong replied on 16/11/2019 14:51

Posted on 16/11/2019 10:13 by young thomas

looks terrific and id love one too...

the 'modular' concept of converting van to MH and back again is alive in some VW vans currently.

main issue with a small finite size is getting a shower aboard for true go anywhere camping....that, to us, means away from sites and facilities.

having said that, i got two large radiators, heading for the tip (incl one at 2.2m) in our shopper Fiat 500.....with the tailgate closed!

however, a truly lovely vehicle.

Posted on 16/11/2019 14:51

Yes, Vdubs were always used in this way originally, camping bits came in modular form. A niece of ours, (who is into wild swimming and is a freelance journalist, does a lot of travelling) has just bought herself a Citroen Berlingo which she uses both conventionally, and for camping stays away. A rather clever friend of hers has built her some camping units that slide in and out, so she now has a warm, comfy cheap accommodation to use and save money on hotels etc... only seen pictures so far, but looks great. I sadly rather doubt this Club would welcome her outfit with open arms though. 

peedee replied on 16/11/2019 16:22

Posted on 16/11/2019 16:22

C&CC December magazine has an intersting article about the future of caravanning and motorhoming.

I rather liked the attached, not electric but........

peedee

derekcyril replied on 16/11/2019 17:09

Posted on 16/11/2019 17:09

My previous point about greenies was obviously meant for reaction . Seriously , ithe race for electric is a joke ..Where do all the materials come from ?  a lot dug out of the ground . precious metals from third world countries . End of life of batteries ? recycled ? My energy supplier now renamed Shell .100 percent green for electric , great ,from an oil company . Making electricity using wood burning power stations ,is now proved to emit almost as much emmissions as coal ,as proved by many councils now banning wood burners in domestic applications . Anyway i think hydrogen vehicles is the way forward , i hope Sat in my shed with my wood burner on ! Derek

hitchglitch replied on 16/11/2019 19:49

Posted on 16/11/2019 17:09 by derekcyril

My previous point about greenies was obviously meant for reaction . Seriously , ithe race for electric is a joke ..Where do all the materials come from ?  a lot dug out of the ground . precious metals from third world countries . End of life of batteries ? recycled ? My energy supplier now renamed Shell .100 percent green for electric , great ,from an oil company . Making electricity using wood burning power stations ,is now proved to emit almost as much emmissions as coal ,as proved by many councils now banning wood burners in domestic applications . Anyway i think hydrogen vehicles is the way forward , i hope Sat in my shed with my wood burner on ! Derek

Posted on 16/11/2019 19:49

Over 50% of electricity in this country is provided by renewables such as wind and solar power and this is increasing all the time. If you actually owned an EV you would wonder why people drive cars with combustion engines. It’s a complete revelation. You would discover that an electric motor is a far better propulsion system than a noisy, smelly, inefficient and polluting combustion engine  complete with its gearbox, oil lubrication, cooling water, exhaust system etc.

Do some research and you will realise that Hydrogen is not necessarily the future - it takes a lot of electricity to produce and you still have to distribute to garages via road transport.

Car batteries have a very long life cycle as they can be used as general power storage long after they are discarded from EVs.

Yes, it’s necessary to mine Lithium, Cobalt etc. but think about what is needed to deliver petrol or diesel to your local garage. Production, refining, distribution and storage. After all that you simply burn it and create pollution.

nelliethehooker replied on 16/11/2019 20:31

Posted on 16/11/2019 20:31

Yes, it’s necessary to mine Lithium, Cobalt etc

And what damage to the environment is that going to do? It will take huge amounts of energy to produce the necessary metals for the production of the batteries, so no saving in the overall energy usage. They are now trialing the harvesting of Cobalt from the sea floor which will damage the wildlife that lives there, and are at the base of the food chain. We're wrecking the planet for our own short term enjoyment.

Takethedogalong replied on 16/11/2019 21:07

Posted on 16/11/2019 16:22 by peedee

C&CC December magazine has an intersting article about the future of caravanning and motorhoming.

I rather liked the attached, not electric but........

peedee

Posted on 16/11/2019 21:07

We have seen a few nice examples PD. You often such vans done out as coffee bars at cycling events, and there used to be one regularly on station at Paddington. Or was it Kings Cross? Lovely iconic vehicles though, just built for tootling around....😎

hitchglitch replied on 17/11/2019 07:58

Posted on 16/11/2019 20:31 by nelliethehooker

Yes, it’s necessary to mine Lithium, Cobalt etc

And what damage to the environment is that going to do? It will take huge amounts of energy to produce the necessary metals for the production of the batteries, so no saving in the overall energy usage. They are now trialing the harvesting of Cobalt from the sea floor which will damage the wildlife that lives there, and are at the base of the food chain. We're wrecking the planet for our own short term enjoyment.

Posted on 17/11/2019 07:58

... and that’s worse than digging for coal, drilling for oil and refining it etc.? Unfortunately, the alternative is that we all stay at home with a small wind generator or solar panel on the roof. Ah, but then we need transport to get food, clothing ... there is no simple solution for sustainable transport; it’s a question of the lesser of several evils.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook