Electric powered MH 2021

brue replied on 18/11/2019 16:10

Posted on 18/11/2019 16:10

The main aim is to conserve fossil fuels for as long as possible and find alternative sustainable power sources in the mean time. The gain from that is less air pollution. 

We might not be using EVs in the future, other ideas are being developed. 

JVB66 replied on 18/11/2019 19:11

Posted on 18/11/2019 16:39 by cyberyacht

If some of the projections on climate change are halfway accurate, we'll have a whole lot more than our mode of transport to worry about.

Posted on 18/11/2019 19:11

You might have to put flotation tanks on your motor caravan ,plus mast and set of sailssurprised

Heethers replied on 19/11/2019 07:22

Posted on 19/11/2019 07:22

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, electric vehicles are not has green has we are led to believe. A programme last week was referencing the fact that they need to mine Cobalt from the earth's crust which is used in batteries and the best way to do that is to mine the sea bed, the disturbance to marine life will have huge effect on their habitat, bearing in mind we still have to charge the batteries up by some means, obviously the greener way would be with renewable energy which has we all know at moment are wind farms, most of them are situated out to sea. The Queen will be happy as she owns the sea bed and gets a good return so l am reliably informed. So there's still a price to pay.

hitchglitch replied on 19/11/2019 08:40

Posted on 19/11/2019 07:22 by Heethers

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, electric vehicles are not has green has we are led to believe. A programme last week was referencing the fact that they need to mine Cobalt from the earth's crust which is used in batteries and the best way to do that is to mine the sea bed, the disturbance to marine life will have huge effect on their habitat, bearing in mind we still have to charge the batteries up by some means, obviously the greener way would be with renewable energy which has we all know at moment are wind farms, most of them are situated out to sea. The Queen will be happy as she owns the sea bed and gets a good return so l am reliably informed. So there's still a price to pay.

Posted on 19/11/2019 08:40

We already mine the “earth’s crust” for all sorts of metals and for all sorts of reasons. The human race has been using resources since life began. There’s plenty of Cobalt elsewhere but it’s probably more cost effective to take it from the sea bed. We don’t have to! Most of these rare elements can be 100% recycled anyway if it gets to the point of scarcity. You don’t see many complaints about copper mining, iron ore etc. All essential to our everyday life.

Regarding charging EVs at Club sites, this has been covered many times on this forum. To properly charge an EV requires a dedicated charging point which you pay to use. You can’t get enough power from your EHU to do anything other than a trickle charge; then you won’t have power for everything else - cooking, heating etc.

cyberyacht replied on 19/11/2019 08:41

Posted on 19/11/2019 08:41

Only the bit between Mean Low Water Springs and Mean High Water Springs belongs to the Crown. That's not to be confused with territorial waters which come under the Governments jurisdiction, IIRC.

SeasideBill replied on 19/11/2019 12:38

Posted on 19/11/2019 12:38

Until there is a kerb on the ever expanding , it seems, love of flying every where using thousands of tons of fossil fuel polluting our sky's every day

Got an email from EasyJet this morning as follows:

........Why flight EJU5841 made history this morning.

At 05:20 this morning, easyJet flight EJU5841 took to the skies and made history. Because starting today, we will offset the carbon emissions from the fuel used for every single easyJet flight, domestic and international.

We believe flying is important - the opportunity to go abroad, to spend time with family and friends, to do business face-to-face and experience other cultures. But we have to balance this with the effect we know it’s having on the planet. So for every flight we operate, we’ll offset the carbon it produces by investing in projects that include planting trees or protecting against deforestation......

Maybe cynical hype, who knows? I don’t love flying, I generally hate it, but I do find it very useful. If viable and genuine, I’d rather see this kind of thing than quotas and bans.

derekcyril replied on 19/11/2019 16:43

Posted on 17/11/2019 22:48 by SeasideBill

Not my field so I’ll bow to your greater knowledge. However, it does seem to be a reality in some places e.g. Siemens/Ubitricity have apparently installed about 300 charging points in London using existing street light infrastructure. 16 other local authorities have plans to do likewise.

Posted on 19/11/2019 16:43

Can see these cables ending up in scrapyard or the river ,justlike the cycles for hire

Navigateur replied on 19/11/2019 16:58

Posted on 19/11/2019 16:58

These cables contain a lot of copper so are far more likely to be stolen, set on fire somewhere to burn off the plastic insulation to get at the copper, and recycled somewhere on the shady side of the scrap yard.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook