Petrol and Diesel Cars to be Banned by 2040

kevinhrc1 replied on 26/07/2017 00:34

Posted on 26/07/2017 00:34

Is this the end of caravan, with the news diesels and petrol engines cars  will not be available to buy after the year 2040, I cant see electric vehicles having the power to tow large caravans any real distance and what about a motorhome's  does the government realise what they are proposing, and what it will do to the caravan industry I don't think they have thought  this one through can you imagine how big the vehicle would have to be to carry enough  battery's to tow a twin wheel caravan and all that goes with it some of these moterhome's would weigh 5 ton I think a E petition should be set up by the caravan club  so this can be heard in the house of commons and be debated properly they are forcing people of the road these  electric vehicles will not be as cheap as the vehicles you can buy now the mind boggles

mickysf replied on 26/07/2017 06:57

Posted on 26/07/2017 06:57

We live in 'interesting' times it seems. Currently the government plan, and it is just that, a plan, is an aspirational one, please pardon the pun, to tackle air pollution in the future. The plan does not advocate an outright and future total ban on either deisel or petrol engines but just those worst polluting ones. However it does talk of a possible ban on all from the worst pollution effected areas.

The notion that this will speed up electric vehicle research is real it seems. The car manufacturers today are certainly driven by those potential markets in India and particularly China whose governments also are currently acting proactively in the area of pollution reduction.

As for caravans, tow vehicles and motorhome in 20 years hence, who knows? Maybe that research will determine direction/fate to a very large degree, 

cyberyacht replied on 26/07/2017 07:54

Posted on 26/07/2017 07:54

I'll be well into my nineties by then. My environmental impact will more likely be a problem for the crematorium rather than any vehicle I might own.

Milothedog replied on 26/07/2017 08:43

Posted on 26/07/2017 08:43

In light of all the confusion this announcement has caused, Lunar have released picture of their 2039 single & twin axle modelssmile

Coachman, however have decided they will take a different approach smile 

ocsid replied on 26/07/2017 08:53

Posted on 26/07/2017 08:53

I suspect the engineers and scientists will step up to the job and crack the vehicle issues. 

Where I see huge problems is in developing the infrastructure to generate and distribute the amounts of electrical energy needed to take over that obtained from the fossil fuels, by 2040.

Not so much the technical ones, but getting governments and developers to put up front the funds, and communities to accept the building of the facilities to achieve those generation and distribution tasks. 

We have talked for over 23 years about building a few nuclear power plants, this tasks is way bigger than that.

Justus2 replied on 26/07/2017 09:13

Posted on 26/07/2017 09:00 by JVB66

When polution is mentioned , that of aircraft is not mentioned even with the tons of fossil fuel burnt on every flight undecided

Posted on 26/07/2017 09:13

I agree, tons of pollution from aircraft and more too from shipping and some trains. However, they are measuring pollution at street level, and at street level its the wheeled vehicles who's concentration of exhausts are aimed directly at pedestrians and workers. In Victorian times is was the huge amount of horses waste that was the problem, so not that dissimilar. Its the sheer concentration of people and vehicles into a few small areas of our land that is the underlying issue.

Milothedog replied on 26/07/2017 09:15

Posted on 26/07/2017 09:00 by JVB66

When polution is mentioned , that of aircraft is not mentioned even with the tons of fossil fuel burnt on every flight undecided

Posted on 26/07/2017 09:15

I hope planes are not included, this service is due to be launched soon  smile

Sorry if some don't like my humor, cool Just trying to lighten the mood a little.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook