Towbars and Towing Mirrors

Daisy2 replied on 08/01/2018 20:57

Posted on 08/01/2018 20:57

Evening all

I'm after more advice please!  The motorhome is now officially up for sale, and I collect our new-to-us caravan at the end of the month.  My car is due to have a towbar fitted next weekend and the company doing the fitting asked if it was for an Al-ko hitch.  I said no, but it has a Winterhoff stabiliser fitted (bpw chassis).  They advised I would still need the Al-ko towball.  I called the caravan dealer to confirm if this was correct and I'm sure the person I spoke with knew less about towing than me, and I know next to nothing!  So eventually we arrived at the Al-ko towball is fine as the fit is standard and if I change the caravan (not something I'm planning given we haven't bought this one yet!) it would probably have an Al-ko next time as that seems to be the current 'standard', so my towbar would be ready. I'm less convinced by that argument than the fact that I think both Al-ko and Winterhoff would require a dry (rather than greased) towball?

So now I'm seeking the guidance of people that actually know what they are talking about (you!) and wonder if you could confirm for me please what I need?

Also, towing mirrors.  I used the Milenco Aero mirrors on my towing lesson (not in my car) but found myself only using the wing mirrors because being quite short I had the seat quite a long way forwards, and to look in the towing mirrors I felt like I was having to twist to use them.  I'm hoping that once I'm in my own car my driving position will be better suited to the addition of towing mirrors.  However, I came across the Milenco Grand Aero 3 (flat) mirrors and wondered if I might find these easier, especially as I'm used to the larger mirrors on the motorhome?  So any opinions on the standard Aero 3 versus the Grand Aero 3?

Thanks as always

Daisy2

RogerP1956 replied on 08/09/2022 09:46

Posted on 07/09/2022 19:39 by EmilysDad

I want to know why .... when I refit my driver's Milenco mirror it's set just as it was before removal but the passenger side never is. And ... when the passenger mirror is tweaked so I see down the side of the caravan it always seems to then move a little after we've set off 

Posted on 08/09/2022 09:46

I use the Milenco Grand Aero mirrors (both convex which are more forgiving of setting) and I take them off of the car without altering the adjustment.

I have found that when I re-fit them they are ready to use but only if the clamps are tightened to the same degree each time. This is caused by the clamp bending as the locking screw is tightened, this bending rotates the mirror arm,  I realise that some mirror housings are more delicate but just about as tight as I can get them works for me!

The mirror is only held in place by a plastic ball & socket so if the mirrors are behaving differently swapping them from side to side may be a good diagnostic tool.

watto64 replied on 09/09/2022 14:21

Posted on 07/09/2022 13:48 by Tinwheeler

Perhaps it’s worth pointing out again that it is not a legal requirement to fit extension mirrors but it is illegal to tow without having the stipulated field of vision. In practice, this nearly always means fitting extra mirrors but the absence of them does not in itself put the driver in breach of the law.

Posted on 09/09/2022 14:21

i believe its also a requirement that if the caravan is wider than the widest part of the tow vehicle - usually the mirrors - than extension mirrors are also required..

Tinwheeler replied on 09/09/2022 14:34

Posted on 09/09/2022 14:21 by watto64

i believe its also a requirement that if the caravan is wider than the widest part of the tow vehicle - usually the mirrors - than extension mirrors are also required..

Posted on 09/09/2022 14:34

The two go hand in hand as a trailer wider than the towing vehicle will obviously obscure the rearward view. The 'must' bit is the requirement to have an adequate view.

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/trailer-and-towing-equipment

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook