VW Touareg Mk3 (2018 on) - Standard Coil Springs

noob replied on 09/11/2020 13:27

Posted on 09/11/2020 13:27

Hi all

We're about to purchase a Touareg R-line Tech, 2019 or 2020. Ideally I'd like to find one with air suspension however I'm struggling to find anything in our price range.

I've driven the R-line tech on standard coil springs and find the ride perfectly acceptable. Coming from a large estate car on sports suspension, I really don't mind a firmer ride and have always found it beneficial for my motion sickness prone children (And myself as a passenger, if I'm being perfectly honest).

However, I can't find any review or forum comments about towing on standard springs for this generation Touareg. Does anybody have any experience towing with the standard R-line suspension? Do you see much of a drop at the rear with a van hooked up? Is it likely to affect stability towing? 

We have a 2018 Sussex Coneyhurst (Lunar 586) which the Touareg will have no problem pulling and currently pack with a 75 to 80kg nose weight due to the limitations of our current car.

Thanks

noob replied on 09/11/2020 22:06

Posted on 09/11/2020 22:06

Thanks lornalou

I've read every review I can find, including that one. The annoying thing is they all focus on the a model with air suspension, as I assume that's the vehicles VW pushed at the Press.
The practical caravan article briefly mentions standard coil spring suspension but only in relation to ride comfort - nothing about towing with it.

richardandros replied on 10/11/2020 05:52

Posted on 10/11/2020 05:52

I've been towing with a Touareg Escape for the last five years and can confirm that it's a great tow car - probably the best I've had. Can't help much re the suspension because mine has raised and stiffened suspension as standard and with a nose-weight of around 90-95kg, doesn't seem to compress the suspension at all. The short rear overhang is an advantage and makes for very stable towing. Don't know how much difference there is between mine and the standard set up, though.

EmilysDad replied on 10/11/2020 08:33

Posted on 10/11/2020 08:33

Having a tow car with air suspension (not a VW) I'd be loathe to swap it for a car with standard steel springs. Air self levels & gives you the option of a firmer or softer ride.

noob replied on 10/11/2020 12:14

Posted on 10/11/2020 12:14

I think I've read a few of your previous comments about towing with your Escape Richard. You're one of the few people I can find on any forum talking about towing with a Touareg on standard springs.

The R-Line also has firmer dampers and springs, albeit lower so called "sports suspension" rather than your raised Escape. I currently have Eibach sports kit progressive springs with Bilstein B8 struts on my estate. Despite lowering the car, they've improved it's stability towing. Being stiffer, the rear ride height with the van hitched is the same as it was with the standard suspension, however there's far less bounce. With the springs sitting the stiffer range of their progressiveness, I'm yet to hit the rear bump stops, even on some of the more challenging rural roads we've traveled along.
So in theory the stiffer "sports" setup of the R-Line should be just fine towing.

I'd still be really keen to hear from anyone who actually tows or has towed with the current generation Touareg on coil springs.

EmiliysDad - I absolutely hear you and many others singing the praises of air. Including the CAMC's comments on the Touareg winning it's class in the 2019 and 2020 towcar awards!

One of my aims here is to have a newer low mile car with a decent amount of manufacture's warranty left on it. There's nothing on air suspension registered late 2019 or 2020 that fits into my current budget... I've seen one 2018 Touareg on air suspension (with the ErgoComfort seats, that are must for me) that was affordable. It had higher mileage and more importantly sold before I had chance to run it past my better half...

KeithL replied on 10/11/2020 20:01

Posted on 09/11/2020 13:27 by noob

Hi all

We're about to purchase a Touareg R-line Tech, 2019 or 2020. Ideally I'd like to find one with air suspension however I'm struggling to find anything in our price range.

I've driven the R-line tech on standard coil springs and find the ride perfectly acceptable. Coming from a large estate car on sports suspension, I really don't mind a firmer ride and have always found it beneficial for my motion sickness prone children (And myself as a passenger, if I'm being perfectly honest).

However, I can't find any review or forum comments about towing on standard springs for this generation Touareg. Does anybody have any experience towing with the standard R-line suspension? Do you see much of a drop at the rear with a van hooked up? Is it likely to affect stability towing? 

We have a 2018 Sussex Coneyhurst (Lunar 586) which the Touareg will have no problem pulling and currently pack with a 75 to 80kg nose weight due to the limitations of our current car.

Thanks

Posted on 10/11/2020 20:01

Try the myTreg forums https://www.mytreg.com/. Theres a whole section on towing and you might find something on there.

I tow with the previous generation Touareg, an R-Line on steel springs and it's great, no noticeable movement on the back when I hook up and tows like a dream  

noob replied on 10/11/2020 21:58

Posted on 10/11/2020 20:01 by KeithL

Try the myTreg forums https://www.mytreg.com/. Theres a whole section on towing and you might find something on there.

I tow with the previous generation Touareg, an R-Line on steel springs and it's great, no noticeable movement on the back when I hook up and tows like a dream  

Posted on 10/11/2020 21:58

Thanks to everyone for chipping in.
Without meaning to sound ungrateful (as I'm not) but I have trawled the internet in search of an iota of info about the 3rd gen towing with standard springs and have come up with nought!

The mytreg forum is full of very useful info but unfortunately no definitive comments about towing with on coils. Plenty about the 1st and 2nd gen. Although the 3rd gen is a new platform, I'm going to have to assume VW won't have changed the formula so much that the positive comments about towing on coils for the previous generations, bode well for the current one.

I assume that the CAMC testers must have driven the 3rd generation on standard suspension during their comparisons for the tow car awards this year and last, as they mention it. Just a shame there wasn't more in-depth information given, other than 'air is better'.

I'm in no major rush. I may hang fire for an example with air suspension but that would mean accepting an older, higher mile example. We don't do HP (bar the inevitable mortgage) so our budget is fixed at what we've put aside.

KeithL replied on 11/11/2020 16:52

Posted on 10/11/2020 21:58 by noob

Thanks to everyone for chipping in.
Without meaning to sound ungrateful (as I'm not) but I have trawled the internet in search of an iota of info about the 3rd gen towing with standard springs and have come up with nought!

The mytreg forum is full of very useful info but unfortunately no definitive comments about towing with on coils. Plenty about the 1st and 2nd gen. Although the 3rd gen is a new platform, I'm going to have to assume VW won't have changed the formula so much that the positive comments about towing on coils for the previous generations, bode well for the current one.

I assume that the CAMC testers must have driven the 3rd generation on standard suspension during their comparisons for the tow car awards this year and last, as they mention it. Just a shame there wasn't more in-depth information given, other than 'air is better'.

I'm in no major rush. I may hang fire for an example with air suspension but that would mean accepting an older, higher mile example. We don't do HP (bar the inevitable mortgage) so our budget is fixed at what we've put aside.

Posted on 11/11/2020 16:52

You could start a thread on myTreg asking the question.

EmilysDad replied on 11/11/2020 22:10

Posted on 11/11/2020 22:10

@ noob .... I may hang fire for an example with air suspension but that would mean accepting an older, higher mile example. We don't do HP (bar the inevitable mortgage) so our budget is fixed at what we've put aside.

I wouldn't worry specifically about high mileage (within reason) High mileage cars have usually been serviced as & when, especially as many new cars on the road are leased. Low mileage cars can have as many, if not more problems. Admittedly it was a few years ago now, but I've had a few cars (Senators) that were bought at around 100k miles ... never had any problems with them. If I saw a car with the 'toys' on it I wanted, the mileage wouldn't put me off.

And there's nowt wrong with debt as long as it's affordable  😉 But I'd likely not use a dealer's credit

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook