Southlands IOW

Reed2121 replied on 12/07/2022 11:41

Posted on 12/07/2022 11:41

Lovely site,very clean facilities, wardens helpful especially Ian and Kelly. But it’s the same old story 1pm rule.

I asked caravan club to book the ferry I asked for a10am departure from Lymington to Yarmouth they told me £286.00 return. I asked if she could do it cheaper , she came back 9.00am at £153.00 so I took it.

That was why we turned up early.

On arrival was told to park at disused garden centre.We had already waited at Yarmouth car park for over 2 hours. Which has very limited space for a car and caravan.

Arrived back at 1pm to find they were already letting caravans in.

Wasn’t very impressed.

It was a very hot day to have to have waited around with dogs in the car.

The Caravan Club must either offer cheaper ferry journeys so people arrive at 1pm or they will lose a lot of trade.

Visited another site on the Island with fantastic reviews that offer cheaper crossing prices and will let you on from 11am.

Look forward to your reply.

Moderator Comment - Not sure if this is a Review or asking a question? Doesn't really fit the Story Format. I have moved to discussions as you appear to be asking a question.

DavidKlyne replied on 13/07/2022 11:57

Posted on 13/07/2022 11:57

I suspect the answer is that you are dealing with two elements of the Club operation. The sites side and the ferry bookings which I think comes under the Overseas Touring section. Did you actually ask whether there was a latter crossing? The operative might well have just offered the first crossing of the day that appeared on the screen and waited for you to ask if there was a later one. I imagine arrival times at Southlands is no different to those on the mainland  and its up to the member to arrive at those times. As to cost, yes Wightlink are very expensive, it cost us £155 to Yarmouth last year in just a motorhome. Red Funnel from Southampton is usually better value. A lot of independent sites on the Island seem to have an arrangement with Red Funnel where they use discounts based on quieter crossings and for fixed lengths of stay. I am still searching for the perfect site in the IOW with easy, level, access to public transport.

David

JVB66 replied on 13/07/2022 12:20

Posted on 13/07/2022 12:20

According to my Brother most sites on the IOW have an arrival time at 1200 and later to give staff time to get pitches serviced 

The ferry companies know the busy times as their fares reflect,

eurortraveller replied on 13/07/2022 13:19

Posted on 13/07/2022 13:19

With a motorhome one could go direct from the ferry to Osborne House or Mottistone gardens and park and visit there - then go leisurely and later to a chosen campsite . Both those car parks can accommodate reasonably sized motorhomes - though car and caravan might be more problematical but worth a phone call to ask.

EmilysDad replied on 13/07/2022 16:38

Posted on 13/07/2022 16:38

maybe Reed could have looked for & parked up in one of these mythical lay-byes we're always being told exist! 

When I've looked at & wandered around Southlands - we stayed elsewhere on a CL - it's hardly been busy! 

brue replied on 13/07/2022 20:14

Posted on 13/07/2022 20:14

IOW ferries are usually cheaper later and earlier in the day. It does seem silly not to coordinate a different arrival time to help people out on these very short and very expensive ferry journeys. I would definitely check out other offerings or enquire about CLs and how they operate on the IOW.

DavidKlyne replied on 13/07/2022 20:24

Posted on 13/07/2022 20:24

I suppose that Southlands is different to the majority of sites and perhaps there is the option for more leeway. I also recall there is quite a large parking area at the entrance where probably half a dozen units could park up out of the way until reception opens for the new day arrivals? Would it be too much to ask that when someone books a ferry with the specific use of Southlands that the contact team actually mention arrival times? Its not too bad for motorhomes as they could probably park up at Morrisons at Lake or even ASDA at Newport but more difficult with a caravan on the back. 

David

clarinetman replied on 13/07/2022 21:41

Posted on 13/07/2022 21:41

Last time we went to southlands there wasn’t a fixed arrival time the wardens knew and appreciated the situation with ferry travel and they either let you in or helped you park up in entrance waiting area.

Thats what I call good site and member management not all sites are the same last thing you want is to be told to clear off and come back at 1pm then find a mile long queue when you have driven to a port caught your ferry etc.

Reed2121 replied on 14/07/2022 12:10

Posted on 14/07/2022 12:10

If you had read the review David you can see that I asked for a later ferry which was twice the price they offered me so I took the earlier ferry, which most people would have took.

We went 4 times last year to Southlands and always got in earlier that 12.00 with NO problem 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook