Southlands IOW

Reed2121 replied on 12/07/2022 11:41

Posted on 12/07/2022 11:41

Lovely site,very clean facilities, wardens helpful especially Ian and Kelly. But it’s the same old story 1pm rule.

I asked caravan club to book the ferry I asked for a10am departure from Lymington to Yarmouth they told me £286.00 return. I asked if she could do it cheaper , she came back 9.00am at £153.00 so I took it.

That was why we turned up early.

On arrival was told to park at disused garden centre.We had already waited at Yarmouth car park for over 2 hours. Which has very limited space for a car and caravan.

Arrived back at 1pm to find they were already letting caravans in.

Wasn’t very impressed.

It was a very hot day to have to have waited around with dogs in the car.

The Caravan Club must either offer cheaper ferry journeys so people arrive at 1pm or they will lose a lot of trade.

Visited another site on the Island with fantastic reviews that offer cheaper crossing prices and will let you on from 11am.

Look forward to your reply.

Moderator Comment - Not sure if this is a Review or asking a question? Doesn't really fit the Story Format. I have moved to discussions as you appear to be asking a question.

replied on 21/07/2022 12:56

Posted on 21/07/2022 12:56

As I said previously we've been going to Southlands for the past 11 years we know the site and the Island very well. It has worked well with arrival times up till now, just a trickle throughout the day no major issues. A lot of people leave early on departure days to catch the early Ferries. Now introducing this arrival time on Southland you will end up with queues pushing back several Vans to later Ferries from Midday onwards 

I have no issues with arrival times on other sites so if you're running early you can easily pull over and lose time that's not so simple when you have to catch a Ferry on time.

As for finding a parking space with a caravan on the Island.....good luck !!

L E Geoff replied on 21/07/2022 14:09

Posted on 21/07/2022 09:12 by mbee1

13.00 arrival time should mean just that, 13.00 arrival time.  Southlands should be an exception because of where it is and the fact that you need to catch a ferry to get to it.  There is nothing more annoying that getting to a site at 13.00 or just after to find everyone else who got there before 13.00 has been allowed in..

The only problems a 13.00 arrival time causes is for the people who get there before the time!  I don't have a problem with it and, if you do there is a simple answer - don't get there before the stated arrival time!

Posted on 21/07/2022 14:09

That's ok arriving at 1.00 or soon after until you get to sites like Stover with limited parking and you find that you are along with 5 others arriving at 1.00 and you are having to park on a main road a matter of 50yards or so from a roundabout. These situations are an accident waiting to happen besides road rage and complaints from the "locals". We were in a situation in April where we could not leave the site solo on a Sunday waiting from 12.55.until 1.05. Even then as we got through the gate another van arrived filling the site entrance once more. After going to this site since 1985 we have decided we will not be going again. In fact it's C L S only for us in the future. 

JollyKernow replied on 21/07/2022 20:41

Posted on 21/07/2022 10:29 by DavidKlyne

I somehow doubt that anyone has been asked directly whether they want 1.00pm arrivals, like you I certainly haven't. It seems to me that the Club does a lot of "silent" listening to what members say. So imagine a situation where people complain in reviews or on social media about people arriving early and the imagined impact that has on someone arriving later not having the choice of pitches. So when people complain about such things they need to be careful what they wish for. If I were a cynical person (wink) sometimes these changes in policy also suit the Club in its management of sites. So you can imagine a situation where the Club want a certain arrival time but find it easier to justify to members by pointing out that many members complain about people arriving early. All clever stuff!

I tend to agree with mbee1 about Southlands as I think it has special circumstances that most sites don't have. I very much doubt people turn up at that site on spec so the site have a clear idea of how many people are arriving on any one day. There are difficulties of finding suitable parking places in which to wait, especially for caravanners. I keep a regular eye on what is posted on Club Members Facebook pages and the situation at Southlands is causing a great deal of upset to say the least. Lets hope the Club is doing some silent listening!

David

Posted on 21/07/2022 20:41

Evening

There are thousands, yes thousands of complaints to the club every year regarding members arriving before the earliest time and being admitted to site. There are also thousands of surveys to the members every year gathering information.

Irrespective if the time is 12.00 or as now 13.00. The talk of queueing out the gate at 13.00 has no bearing at all, what's the difference if it was 12.00? A lot of sites have adopted the "fast track" approach whereby an arrival is met by the gate and ticked off the list and allowed onsite to return later, that's not really a new thing, we first started doing it in 2013. It's easy to get in a 100 arrivals in short time using that method.

When the new system is in members will have already paid for their stay the day before arrival so the getting to a pitch will be even quicker, but definitely NOT before 13.00

I can't speak of Southlands as I've never been or have a desire to. I do know the site staff thoughwink

JK

Tinwheeler replied on 21/07/2022 20:52

Posted on 21/07/2022 14:09 by L E Geoff

That's ok arriving at 1.00 or soon after until you get to sites like Stover with limited parking and you find that you are along with 5 others arriving at 1.00 and you are having to park on a main road a matter of 50yards or so from a roundabout. These situations are an accident waiting to happen besides road rage and complaints from the "locals". We were in a situation in April where we could not leave the site solo on a Sunday waiting from 12.55.until 1.05. Even then as we got through the gate another van arrived filling the site entrance once more. After going to this site since 1985 we have decided we will not be going again. In fact it's C L S only for us in the future. 

Posted on 21/07/2022 20:52

But there’s no ferry needed to get to Stover so anyone arriving early has no excuse at all as they could have waited in a layby on the A38 or gone to Trago.

However, if several units arrive at 1300, then there is maybe need for the wardens on this one couple site to fast track arrivals as JK described although, as I recall, there is quite a lot of parking space twixt gate and office. 

brue replied on 21/07/2022 21:05

Posted on 21/07/2022 12:56 by

As I said previously we've been going to Southlands for the past 11 years we know the site and the Island very well. It has worked well with arrival times up till now, just a trickle throughout the day no major issues. A lot of people leave early on departure days to catch the early Ferries. Now introducing this arrival time on Southland you will end up with queues pushing back several Vans to later Ferries from Midday onwards 

I have no issues with arrival times on other sites so if you're running early you can easily pull over and lose time that's not so simple when you have to catch a Ferry on time.

As for finding a parking space with a caravan on the Island.....good luck !!

Posted on 21/07/2022 21:05

Yes, that's the problem being talked about on here, not 1pm on other sites and CAMC are actually involved in booking ferry packages for members so this compounds the issue. If they are genuinely concerned about early arrivals they really shouldn't book people onto early ferries!

peedee replied on 11/08/2022 08:16

Posted on 14/07/2022 21:50 by DavidKlyne

Peedee

We did stay there many years ago with the boys when it was an affiliated site. I would prefer somewhere over the other side of the Island. We really liked Waverley Park in East Cowes but its just such a drag uphill to the site if you are walking, although you can probably walk through the estate opposite to the Newport road? Last year we hired a car but found that expensive for the use we got out of it.

David

Posted on 11/08/2022 08:16

We also stayed there many years ago, must have been early 90s. Checking out the buses, the number 7 is an hourly service, 15 minutes into Newport which is a main transport hub for the island. With the right connects, you should be able to get to anywhere on the island in one to two hours? All for free with a bus pass.

peedee

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook