2020 Monthly Open and Closed CL List

CLMaddie replied on 15/01/2020 10:15

Posted on 15/01/2020 10:15

Hi All

This sticky will provide the list of any CL sites which have opened or closed from the previous month in 2020. All of these will appear in the monthly magazine as well but this will show 2 months later.

I will provide a link to any new CL sites and list them as 'County - Listing Town - CL site'.

If you have any questions please comment in this discussion and I will get back to you. 

The January list will be posted in February. 

Thanks

Maddie

CholseyGrange replied on 26/02/2020 17:12

Posted on 26/02/2020 17:12

David.  

Like Nellie, who has browsed back through the magazine and the open/closed I have been recording the actual number of CLs available to members (CLs showing on the Club website) for a number of years.  These figures - which some might disagree with - show a decline year on year. 

They prompt a number of questions in my mind;

• Is the CL team at HQ adequately staffed and resourced (has enough budget) to not only administer the existing CLs, deal with new enquiries but also to approach potential landowners with a view to persuade them to set up a CL?
  • What other choices do these landowners have if they want to enter the tourism industry?  Is glamping a better bet?
  • Is running a CL a financially viable and attractive proposition?
  • Do we actually need more CLs?  
  • Are the ones we have in the right places?  
  • Wouldn’t improving the quality of the remaining CLs be a better use of club resources?

The CL network will face a number of challenges in the years ahead: A decline in caravan sales, increasing numbers (for now) of motorhomes (which need different types of site & facilities) and the requirement to charge electric vehicles.

The CL team is working hard to bring new CLs on board, and has achieved some success, and I’m told has many new CLs in the pipeline. 

Lets hope that those applications in the pipeline are commissioned onto the network in time to take advantage of the 2020 season and that we nee an upward trend by the end of this year.

Johnny57 replied on 26/02/2020 20:46

Posted on 26/02/2020 20:46

Nelliethehooker
I think CAMC departments need to agree on how many CLs they actual have, this was in the Feb 2020 magazine! smile (see image)

Wherenext replied on 27/02/2020 21:41

Posted on 27/02/2020 21:41

It's not fake news but alternative news! Maybe they are including those CLs that have left but are still trading as small independent sites.smile

nelliethehooker replied on 28/02/2020 14:02

Posted on 27/02/2020 21:41 by Wherenext

It's not fake news but alternative news! Maybe they are including those CLs that have left but are still trading as small independent sites.smile

Posted on 28/02/2020 14:02

They  could tell us which ones they are....now wouldn't that be nice!!

Richard12 replied on 02/03/2020 12:04

Posted on 02/03/2020 12:04

I would like the club to go back to publishing the reason that CLs are closing. There used to be initials next to the closing CL.

Takethedogalong replied on 02/03/2020 13:09

Posted on 26/02/2020 17:12 by CholseyGrange

David.  

Like Nellie, who has browsed back through the magazine and the open/closed I have been recording the actual number of CLs available to members (CLs showing on the Club website) for a number of years.  These figures - which some might disagree with - show a decline year on year. 

They prompt a number of questions in my mind;

• Is the CL team at HQ adequately staffed and resourced (has enough budget) to not only administer the existing CLs, deal with new enquiries but also to approach potential landowners with a view to persuade them to set up a CL?
  • What other choices do these landowners have if they want to enter the tourism industry?  Is glamping a better bet?
  • Is running a CL a financially viable and attractive proposition?
  • Do we actually need more CLs?  
  • Are the ones we have in the right places?  
  • Wouldn’t improving the quality of the remaining CLs be a better use of club resources?

The CL network will face a number of challenges in the years ahead: A decline in caravan sales, increasing numbers (for now) of motorhomes (which need different types of site & facilities) and the requirement to charge electric vehicles.

The CL team is working hard to bring new CLs on board, and has achieved some success, and I’m told has many new CLs in the pipeline. 

Lets hope that those applications in the pipeline are commissioned onto the network in time to take advantage of the 2020 season and that we nee an upward trend by the end of this year.

Posted on 02/03/2020 13:09

It would be good to see an upward figure. On the plus side, we are finding some good ex CLs/CS Sites. I rather suspect that if a CL is looking at putting in major improvements, such as hardstandings, loos, showers etc... makes more sense to come off network, get proper planning consent and add a few more pitches. It’s a double edged sword sadly☹️🤔

Personally, we aren’t bothered about CLs close to towns or cities. However, I know a good few are, and possibly encouragement for those potential CL owners who are a short safe stroll into such might be worth encouraging? Hard standing with a drive over waste, fresh water tap, cdp easy to use. No fancier stuff, so price can be kept minimal. You know where I am going with this, but unlike Aires, welcoming for those caravan tourers who like such as well? 

CLs really will only thrive if they are in the right place. We like remote, scenic, basic sites with lots of things to do and see in the area, plenty of walks and cycle paths. We cycle for pleasure rather than because we don’t like moving our MH once pitched up, but others are different, and perhaps at the moment not as well catered for as rural lovers.

We also have no issue with a CL that has alternative accommodation on site, such as Shepherd Huts, yurts, log cabin, B&B, cottages. We are off to one such next week, in the cottage!

As for new locations for CLs........Hadrians Wall area, South Yorkshire all desperate for new options.

I do think the Club needs to pay more attention to CLs, and recognise just how many members use them, possibly only stay members because of them. The Club has £millions, dedicating a year to being more proactive, working with the likes of the NFU, LAs, Local Parishes Nation Parks, Etc...... might work. It’s getting all the existing set up rather cheap by the looks of things at the moment. A paid position, solely dedicated to this would get my support in terms of Membership money usage, much more so than lots of other things the money is spent on. (Cayton Bay for example) Let the existing staff get on with managing CLs as they are at the moment, maybe with more time and effort, but fund a dedicated short term contract solely to attract more CL set up, and make them diverse, rural, town, city. I would go for a young person as well, someone who might be savvy enough to recognise how touring trends are changing, how technology can help in all sorts of ways. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook