Certificated Location of the Year 2023 Winners

RowenaBCAMC replied on 17/10/2023 17:45

Posted on 17/10/2023 17:45

Your Certificated Location of the Year 2023 Winners!

πŸ† Best Certificated Location in England - Cholsey Grange CL - Caravan Site
πŸ† Best Certificated Location in Wales - Terfyn Mawr CL
πŸ† Best Certificated Location in Scotland and Northern Ireland - Landis Farm Certificated Location
πŸ† Most Unique Certificated Location - Abbotts View Alpacas
πŸ† Certificated Location Sustainability Award - Big Sky Brisley
πŸ† Best Newcomer Certificated Location - Betley Park Certificated Location

Hear from this year's winners πŸ‘‡

CL of the Year 2023

Hja replied on 21/10/2023 12:58

Posted on 21/10/2023 12:58

I don’t know how the winners come about. We stayed recently at one of the nominated sites, but not winners, and I got the impression that they made it onto a list as a result of members nominating them and then somehow the club selected the winners. The owner of the site I was on seemed very unclear of what criteria were used. Personally I think it all smoke and mirrors. I am not sure how you compare a site with hard standings, ehu, toilet and showers, serviced pitches to a site which is grass, albeit well drained, tap and toilet dump. Why is one better than the other?

replied on 21/10/2023 13:03

Posted on 21/10/2023 12:36 by Tinwheeler

I stand by my words. I’ve been on CLs where the owners push you to vote for them. I’m afraid tactics like that have the opposite effect with me.

WTG, yes I believe you can. Wasn’t there a post from Ro a while back urging members to vote for their favourite CL of the year?

Posted on 21/10/2023 13:03

The user and all related content has been deleted

Takethedogalong replied on 21/10/2023 13:21

Posted on 21/10/2023 13:21

We’ve never been asked to vote, and have never been that interested in actually voting. Have absolutely no idea how things are decided, 

We will thank a really good CL with an informative positive review. Like wise, if something isn’t quite right at a CL, we’ed rather either mention it in passing as part of a discussion with owners, or leave a mention in a helpful way on a review website. 

We rejoined C&CC this year after many years away. Purely for the CS sites. Very pleasantly surprised just how good some of these have been. Not sure if they run a similar award scheme.

DavidKlyne replied on 21/10/2023 15:45

Posted on 21/10/2023 15:45

You can see the full list of CL's in this years competition here, if your scroll down towards the bottom there is a list under "Here are the other CLs that were shortlisted in 2023:" listed by region, I think I counted 30 in all. I was even more surprised when I discovered we had actually stayed at one of them as we rarely use CL's! 

Rowena posted this thread asking for member nominations some while ago. So it seems its entirely up to members to make nominations. 

David

nelliethehooker replied on 21/10/2023 19:41

Posted on 21/10/2023 15:45 by DavidKlyne

You can see the full list of CL's in this years competition here, if your scroll down towards the bottom there is a list under "Here are the other CLs that were shortlisted in 2023:" listed by region, I think I counted 30 in all. I was even more surprised when I discovered we had actually stayed at one of them as we rarely use CL's! 

Rowena posted this thread asking for member nominations some while ago. So it seems its entirely up to members to make nominations. 

David

Posted on 21/10/2023 19:41

David, I very much doubt that those listed were the only ones nominated, 30 out of roughly a total of 2200. The way I read it is that those were the ones nominated by the club to be included in the final list from which the winners were selected. Perhaps they were the ones in each region that reach a specific number of nominations, as I suspect there were many which had just a few or even only one vote from a member.

Like TW I feel that some site owners actively encourage visitors to nominate their sites for the awards.

DavidKlyne replied on 21/10/2023 21:01

Posted on 21/10/2023 19:41 by nelliethehooker

David, I very much doubt that those listed were the only ones nominated, 30 out of roughly a total of 2200. The way I read it is that those were the ones nominated by the club to be included in the final list from which the winners were selected. Perhaps they were the ones in each region that reach a specific number of nominations, as I suspect there were many which had just a few or even only one vote from a member.

Like TW I feel that some site owners actively encourage visitors to nominate their sites for the awards.

Posted on 21/10/2023 21:01

Nellie

I suppose if you are asking for member nominations you have to have some sort of cut off which from the list of nominated CL's is a list of 30? I would like to think that it is decided on a numerical bases by which I mean the the top 30 are those that got the most votes initially. I am not sure its completely surprising that some CL owners will be proactive in encouraging their visitors to vote in their favour? It won't do any CL any harm to have the accolade of being a winner in any of the categories? Being a very regular user of CL's is the competition something that you get involved with by nominating or voting?

David

eurortraveller replied on 21/10/2023 21:04

Posted on 21/10/2023 21:04

Have the CLs which won in 2022 gone rapidly downhill and fallen out of favour with members?  
Or were they set aside during this year’s event  so that a new list of different winners could be announced for 2023? 

Takethedogalong replied on 21/10/2023 21:57

Posted on 21/10/2023 21:57

There’s a list of previous winners going back to 2015, some of the names crop up on a regular basis.

I’ve just remembered that one of the CS sites we used this year had some winners plaques up in their washroom/shower complex……. Best Campsite Facilities winners 2016/17/18/19/20. COVID might have broken their winning streak. 

Cornersteady replied on 21/10/2023 22:53

Posted on 21/10/2023 22:53

I don't use them but a few points from the above.

CL's are businesses, they want to make a profit (I assume) and being nominated and getting voted for and of course winning or being in the top whatever will lead to more business? 

So personally I can't anything wrong with CL's asking their customers to vote for them, assuming this happens and the CL's know they have been nominated? I use Toby a lot and always the waitress or waiter gives a little slip with their name on it asking for an internet review and to mention their name when doing so. When one of my daughters worked there I found out a good named review would earn rewards and often a bonus if enough were done. 

I usually do especially if there has been good friendly service.

So if a CL does asks for votes, I can't see what so bad about it, if the CL is good why not? Then again if you don't like the CL or the tactic then don't. As I said I don't use them so leave any objections to this practice to those that do.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook