Site Directory 2021/22 and OS references

Wherenext replied on 26/01/2020 13:53

Posted on 26/01/2020 13:53

When the current SD came out there was quite a furore over the lack of O.S.Grid References in the CL section. The club gave the lack of space as a reason stating that Sat Nav references were more pertinent in this day and age.

Well why can't we have both?

If you troll through the CL sections on any given page most of the CLs will make reference to having Coarse and/or Game Fishing within 5 miles. If you count the spacing that this information takes up it comes to 48 character spaces. Can someone tell me what is wrong with using the symbols that are used for CAMC sites and putting them with the other symbols used to describe the CL? I know that the site symbol is used to inform about fishing within 5 miles and the CL is used for site but the vast majority of CLs do not have fishing directly on their site. So if the CL wishes to inform you they have fishing on site then they can tell you, maybe by introducing, say, a tick next to the symbol.

This would free up an awful lot of space and we could have the OS references back and the fishing folk would still be kept informed.

As an aside I have never seen anyone in all of my caravanning years go off fishing, cleaning fishing tackle or talk to me about fishing whilst on a CL (except on 2 CLs which happened to have fishing lakes). So, without denigrating fishing in any way, why does fishing get special treatment over say walking or cycling or birdwatching etc.? Why the need to mention it? Us a symbol like you do for beaches or nature etc.etc.

Anyway, hopefully someone who is responsible for producing the S.D. might just have a think about it and gauge opinion.

Note to Mods - I have put this topic in the C.L. section rather than Club Products as I think more members who are interested in O.S. references for CLs will find it here.

peedee replied on 27/01/2020 07:19

Posted on 27/01/2020 07:19

I am the opposite, I don't see the point of them. I would sooner see the POIs more frequently up dated. Twice a year would be nice. I hardly ever use the handbook anyway, its just there in the motorhome as backup.

peedee

peedee replied on 27/01/2020 09:48

Posted on 27/01/2020 09:48

If you haven't noticed, the Club POIs have just had their annual update. I load them onto my Memory Map digital maps and my sat Nav. This plus the web site info gives me all the information I ever need.

peedee

JohnM20 replied on 27/01/2020 10:38

Posted on 27/01/2020 10:38

Lots of CLs say "Don't use satnav". Finding the exact location using grid references and the relevant OS map is an almost foolproof way especially if the CL owner suggests a route. I use GPS coordinates whilst still at home using Google Earth (although sometimes the coordinates are wrong) and then cross reference to the OS map.

SteveL replied on 27/01/2020 12:00

Posted on 27/01/2020 07:19 by peedee

I am the opposite, I don't see the point of them. I would sooner see the POIs more frequently up dated. Twice a year would be nice. I hardly ever use the handbook anyway, its just there in the motorhome as backup.

peedee

Posted on 27/01/2020 12:00

I suppose the main point of them is for folk who still use paper maps. Frankly I think the CC's excuse of lack of space ridiculous. More a case of couldn't be bothered to update for new CL's.

I still have my paper maps and do use them occasionally, but also have the digital variety  (OS) for all of GB. These take Lat / Long or OS grid references.

DavidKlyne replied on 27/01/2020 17:15

Posted on 27/01/2020 17:15

I thought when this was last mentioned when it was realised that they were missing from the previous site directory that the Club said they will monitor requests for grid references to be re-included in the next edition. We have not yet heard how many have approached the Club but perhaps this thread will act as a reminder? 

Personally I have no use for them as I think there as easier ways to find where I am going. Having said that I don't use that many CL's and it is unlikely I would be using any that were in the middle of nowhere so to speak. So I am neutral on whether they should be included or not. I suppose there is an element of extra work when they are included so I imagine the Club want to be sure they are useful to a wide range of the membership rather than just a small number?

David

Extugger replied on 27/01/2020 17:33

Posted on 27/01/2020 17:33

With the current closure rate of CL's (and thus their subsequent omission from SD) I would have thought there'd be plenty of room to write whatever you liked in the SD, providing of course, the publication is similar in size to the previous edition?

Takethedogalong replied on 27/01/2020 17:54

Posted on 27/01/2020 17:54

We use quite remote CLs, and have found the Grid references excellent for pinpointing locations of such CLs. Sometimes, simple really is good! 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook