replied on 14/12/2020 22:53

Posted on 14/12/2020 22:53

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

replied on 14/12/2020 23:07

Posted on 14/12/2020 23:07

The user and all related content has been deleted

Tammygirl replied on 14/12/2020 23:14

Posted on 14/12/2020 22:53 by

We have a Bilbao crossing booked and paid for  (carried over from last year) and we very very much hope to be on that ship come April. However if the pandemic and vaccination time table holds us up we will like friends above be off at the first opportunity afterwards. Lost one year at an age where we don't have too many to waste and wont do it again.

Posted on 14/12/2020 23:14

David we are due to go on the Bilbao route at the end of April, also carried over from this year on a flexi ticket.

If for any reason we don't get the vaccine in time, we will just bump it to later in the year, then go across on the tunnel for a few weeks once we can. 

Like you we don't want to lose another year, after all one of us is going to be 70 next year wink

replied on 14/12/2020 23:25

Posted on 14/12/2020 23:25

The user and all related content has been deleted

Cornersteady replied on 15/12/2020 07:12

Posted on 14/12/2020 23:25 by

Is that little face symbol meant to denote a jibe at me TG because I have expressed a little dismay at the repeated use of the phrase lost a year of life? 

I am lucky I suppose. I have plenty of interests to occupy me so that the  loss of a year travelling has been enriching in other ways. (And I am mindful that some people have actually lost their lives to this pandemic.)

Posted on 15/12/2020 07:12

I'm finding myself in complete agreement with your last paragraph. Like you I have found (and I realise how extremely lucky I am) lots of other things to do while this is on, and done things that I wouldn't have dreamed of doing otherwise. Of course that is not to say the pandemic has been 'worth it' in any way. 

No travel plans for me, apart from one site booked more than a year ago over May BH later on in the year. I hope to travel to Italy again to see friends and family, a package holiday, but won't book anything till things stabilise a lot.

replied on 15/12/2020 09:00

Posted on 15/12/2020 09:00

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

SteveL replied on 15/12/2020 09:55

Posted on 15/12/2020 09:55

The main thing from our point of view was the year that went missing was the last straightforward one for travel in the EU. Hopefully what we end up with won't be any more onerous than it was when we used to go before we were part of the EU. We switched to a MH with the firm intention of using it in Europe for at least one tour a year, whilst we still could. In that respect 2020 was certainly a year lost.

SeasideBill replied on 15/12/2020 10:02

Posted on 15/12/2020 09:00 by

Still have to say for us 2020 has been the lost year. Not seen my children had little joy from the unusual summer due to living next to building site. I finished the book started 20 years ago and OH has been busy with crafts  and we had two little excursions in the van. However  having just gone through the  xmas card list crossing out those that have died only makes me more determined not to waste another year of the active few left.

Posted on 15/12/2020 10:02

Certainly agree with the sentiment. I’ve become increasingly restless as this year has dragged on. I’m much happier travelling than sitting at home reading a book or trimming the roses. The sooner we get going again, the better. That’s not intended to be dismissive of those who’ve suffered during this awful year, but we owe it to ourselves to get the maximum out of life in whatever way that works best for us and those we care about. My biggest problem will be fitting it all in, I find myself with 2 ferry (Spain & Greece) and 4 Easyjet tickets all bumped from various cancelled plans this year including Xmas in Gibraltar.

replied on 15/12/2020 10:08

Posted on 15/12/2020 10:08

I honestly find that phrase "lost a year of life" a little upsetting. Many have lost lives, forever. 

For some, particularly the less able, they have truly lost a year of their life. An example is a friend of mine (many others in his situation) He is confined to a chair or bed most of the time, cannot stand unaided. Has been unable to have visitors rom initial lockdown until end of September. By end of October was again unable to have visitors and at the end of November had deteriorated and now in a nursing home. Can now visit through glass but his speech is so poor that it is impossible to communicate. For me personally I enjoyed much of April through until end of October busy working outside most of the time. 

Rufs replied on 15/12/2020 10:40

Posted on 15/12/2020 10:40

"The main thing from our point of view was the year that went missing was the last straightforward one for travel in the EU"

not sure i share this obesssion with travelling overthere, although we have done it many times, for us there are many beautiful areas within the UK, some we have explored, some we have not, and if you take the advantage of being retired and being able to travel at off peak times, and the ability to either easily hitch up the LV and go, or even rent a cottage somewhere and just go, then this is fine for us, ok the weather is sometimes not that great, but after surviving for 74 years and enduring the UK weather, which i have to say is an improving picture, our take today is, if travelling within the EU becomes a logistical obstacle then we wont do it. 

We have tickets for the ferry to France, if we cant use them in 2021, then no great loss, they were purchased nearly 12 months ago so it is water under the bridge, we already have 1 month booked on a site in the UK, yes we are fortunate to have a family beach house some 10 minutes away and an apartment in Spain we can use.

We love going away in the caravan and hope in 2021 to get out and about as much as possible, but if it has to remain parked at the side of the bungalow, we will get over it.

The nice lady in the newsagents asks me everyday if i am ok, stock response

"stood up and the sun is shinning, or the rain is making my hair curl"

off to walk Fido along the beach, sun is shinning and i am able laughing  

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook