Travelling to Europe

layton1837 replied on 29/07/2020 09:25

Posted on 29/07/2020 09:25

The  news is full  information about flying to different countries in Europe, but there seems little information about driving. Can anybody offer advice on the requirements of entry into different countries. Flying to Spain you are required to fill an online form, what about driving.Considering travelling to Europe, but looking to find out what are the requirements before i decide to  travelling.

So looking for information. please don't hijack the thread by saying that you won't travel. looking for information 

Thanks

Rufs replied on 31/07/2020 15:27

Posted on 31/07/2020 14:46 by MichaelT

FCO Advice is not to travel to Spain so your travel insurance will be invalid....

Posted on 31/07/2020 15:27

agreed, but dont have any just yet, and if things stay as is might just wing it cool

commeyras replied on 31/07/2020 17:45

Posted on 31/07/2020 17:45

To answer the OP.  My reading is that you can drive to any country - as at today!  You have to fill in a form before you return to UK, this would normally be done on line 2 days before returning using a smart phone and printing it out.  I spoke to Dept of Transport as we would be driving at that time and I'm old fashioned re IT and have only a Pay as You Go phone!  They said that the IT was playing up (sounds familiar) and that the tunnel and ferry companies had the forms which you can fill in then give to the UK border check at the terminal.

We are due to go to Europe on 1 Sep for a month.  The plan is to have a few days on the Mossell , then visit family near Frankfurt then a few days in Bavaria then transit Austria to Italy.  Only thing we have booked and paid for is the Tunnel and if we cannot go we can delay for 12 months with no penalty.  We have booked the site near Frankfurt as it is the only one near family and the site in Bavaria as we wanted a particular one and have failed to get on without booking in the past.  Luckily neither of the sites want a deposit.  Also booked, no deposit, first night in Italy as evidence of transiting Austria.  We have also booked a site in Bavaria for return, again as evidence of transiting Austria if asked for by the Austrian authorities, no deposit needed.  This is the most planning we have done for a caravan holiday since I retired!

If FCO advice re travel to Europe changes we will not go as it would invalidate our insurance.

Off subject, BUT say it very quietly.  I think CT has speeded up todaysurprised

HarveyTheRabbit replied on 07/08/2020 15:29

Posted on 07/08/2020 15:29

Hi All. I spent winter 2019 in Portugal then had to make a mad caravan tow dash back in March 2020 when the Spain-Portugal border closed, thousands of us at the border, eventually allowed through, had to stop off hitched up in fuel forecourts as sites closed, and just made a spot on the very last Brittany ferry from Bilbao on 19th March 2020. (The ferry lockdown was very good, cabin only, food delivered). Arrived UK on 21st March, it was seriously stressful, capped when our lockdown hit on 23rd March.

I am wondering about winter 2020 in Spain or Portugal, and am more than wary this time! Very worried actually on the one hand...still a bit travel lusty on the other, I so love it down there in winter!

The virus situation is difficult to anticipate for us all I guess. No matter how well we self-isolate, shop carefully in masks and so on...should we try to go at all...?

Right now I plan to wait, to see how it all pans out by October/November. But it does not look like there is going to be a trustworthy fix this year...?

What are your thoughts? Do please cast your votes!

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook