Clubsite bookings 2021

rexandbellasdad replied on 29/12/2020 14:10

Posted on 29/12/2020 14:10

I'm not impressed by the fact that so many Clubsites are fully booked all summer, but only for weekends. This effectively precludes booking for any longer that 5 days middweek, which isn't long enough for a typical holiday. There needs to be a proportion of places on each Clubsite reserved for longer stays.

Tinwheeler replied on 29/12/2020 15:27

Posted on 29/12/2020 15:27

Back in June I booked a week on The Norfolk Broads site for twelve months hence as I thought it may fill up quickly. I needn't have bothered as, other than serviced pitches, there isn’t yet a single fully booked date all summer🤣🤣

MikeyA replied on 29/12/2020 15:37

Posted on 29/12/2020 15:37

Hopefully, if non returnable deposits are introduced it will break the cycle of book early/cancel last minute.

Takethedogalong replied on 29/12/2020 15:45

Posted on 29/12/2020 15:45

I booked Marazion for first week in September, back up for Tour of Britain. Did it once I knew dates. It pays to be organised over Club Sites nowadays.

Tinwheeler replied on 29/12/2020 15:45

Posted on 29/12/2020 15:37 by MikeyA

Hopefully, if non returnable deposits are introduced it will break the cycle of book early/cancel last minute.

Posted on 29/12/2020 15:45

A question was asked along those lines at the AGM and answered by Nick Lomas.

Do you have much trouble booking, Mikey?

Cornersteady replied on 29/12/2020 15:56

Posted on 29/12/2020 15:37 by MikeyA

Posted on 29/12/2020 15:56

so how much? 50% per booking? £5 per booking? £20? Got to be something that will stop your cycle? If it's too low then we're back to people not telling the club they won't show, which did happen as the number of no shows went down when the club got rid of deposits.

Too high and income will be affected with pope going elsewhere, especially after what happened this year, and loss of income?

Also non returnable? Seems bit harsh. So that would mean people buying insurance further raising the cost of a stay away?

Also is there a cycle? Any proof? And if there is as long as pitches get sold does the club care? 

If the club were to go down this route you suggest no doubt there would be cries of this is a club why have non returnable deposits?

And why are you so keen on them? Have trouble getting your club sites?

Freddy55 replied on 29/12/2020 16:15

Posted on 29/12/2020 15:16 by Tinwheeler

To a certain extent, I too sympathise with the OP, Freddy, but we all need to realise the ways around a situation are often in our own hands.

You worked out a solution to your issue at St David’s and it's just one example of how being proactive brings the desired result. What I find unpalatable is people not accepting it is their own circumstances or actions which create difficulties and then expecting the club to change its ways in order to accommodate their situation. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case with the OP, btw.

Posted on 29/12/2020 16:15

As much as I’d like to, I can’t argue with any of that 😄

cyberyacht replied on 29/12/2020 16:29

Posted on 29/12/2020 16:29

With regard to deposits, why are proposals always in a "all or nothing" format. If, and I emphasise 'If",  members feel that deposits might help, could not a relatively high deposit(50% for 6 days+, 100% for 5days-) be required for bookings for more than say three months in advance with it being non-refundable if less than one months notice being given. That would enable long-term planners to secure their chosen holiday whilst discouraging speculative "weekend squatters".

I will now await the howls of protest and reasons why that could not possibly work.

DavidKlyne replied on 29/12/2020 17:01

Posted on 29/12/2020 17:01

I suppose it might depend how the Club view the advantages of sites being booked up a year in advance as a measure of future occupancy and whether a deposit system might put that at risk. I sometimes use C&CC sites and well as commercial sites where I do encounter deposits and sometimes full payment required in advance. My inclination in those cases would be to book as close to the actual arrival date as I could to avoid a financial loss. I think the current system works fairly well for me but then I don't book a long way in advance and am fairly flexible where I go. Whatever system is put in place should retain a degree of simplicity ie a set amount and simple rules about moving a booking or getting a refund within a certain time period. 

David

brue replied on 29/12/2020 17:05

Posted on 29/12/2020 17:05

If there are more "staycations" next year it will really pay to book ahead. This year we met countless people who were normally "abroad." They were taking long touring holidays here instead. I think this could happen again in 2021 until things hopefully start to settle down.

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook