Clubsite bookings 2021

rexandbellasdad replied on 29/12/2020 14:10

Posted on 29/12/2020 14:10

I'm not impressed by the fact that so many Clubsites are fully booked all summer, but only for weekends. This effectively precludes booking for any longer that 5 days middweek, which isn't long enough for a typical holiday. There needs to be a proportion of places on each Clubsite reserved for longer stays.

MikeyA replied on 29/12/2020 19:18

Posted on 29/12/2020 19:07 by Navigateur

Twenty Quid is a lot for one to loose on top of whatever disaster has caused one to have to forego the booking.

Posted on 29/12/2020 19:18

Very few people who book 18 months in advance can be so confident of taking the holiday, if they are then let them put the money upfront. The fact that there is always increased availability 72hrs before the day proves that cancellations take place. I am not convinced that so many people suddenly have an emergency..

moulesy replied on 29/12/2020 19:44

Posted on 29/12/2020 19:18 by MikeyA

Very few people who book 18 months in advance can be so confident of taking the holiday, if they are then let them put the money upfront. The fact that there is always increased availability 72hrs before the day proves that cancellations take place. I am not convinced that so many people suddenly have an emergency..

Posted on 29/12/2020 19:44

Mikey - like you, we're no longer club members so it could be argued that our views aren't really relevant.  But I always used to think that the generous booking/ deposit/cancellation conditions were just a little reward/perk of club membership. Given how much the club was being hammered on another thread for the, allegedly, poor ways it has treated members this year, it would seem counter productive to now take this one advantage away from members, surely?

Cornersteady replied on 29/12/2020 19:56

Posted on 29/12/2020 18:50 by MikeyA

£20 non returnable sounds about right.

Unlike yourself any Club site would be the last resort for us. Much prefer the 5 van sites for space, uniqueness, wild life and value for money.

Posted on 29/12/2020 19:56

actually, and not boasting, but £20 per booking isn't that much to lose if you can't make it and no inducement to tell the club you're not going to turn up - more no shows.

You use CLs then?

MikeyA replied on 29/12/2020 20:05

Posted on 29/12/2020 19:44 by moulesy

Mikey - like you, we're no longer club members so it could be argued that our views aren't really relevant.  But I always used to think that the generous booking/ deposit/cancellation conditions were just a little reward/perk of club membership. Given how much the club was being hammered on another thread for the, allegedly, poor ways it has treated members this year, it would seem counter productive to now take this one advantage away from members, surely?

Posted on 29/12/2020 20:05

It could be argued that if the Club is going to survive then it needs to somehow make the availability of sites to all a little more fair. Unless they suddenly acquire more sites then with the increased numbers holidaying in this country, whether by increased membership or less going abroad, site nights are going to be under more pressure than ever.

If you take early booking to the extreme, you could theoretically end up with a situation where every single night is booked up 12 months in advance. The proportion of the membership then unable to book even a single night are likely to book elsewhere and very unlikely to continue with their membership the following year. The result is loss of revenue from site fees and loss of membership fees. To say to everyone "Don't worry there will normally be cancellations 72 hrs before your holiday will not wash with very many.

If deposits do arrive soon, whether returnable or not, it will make most people think twice before booking willy nilly. If a deposit system is rejected then I hope each member is allocated a number of bookable nights to give everyone a fair chance. 

MikeyA replied on 29/12/2020 20:13

Posted on 29/12/2020 19:56 by Cornersteady

actually, and not boasting, but £20 per booking isn't that much to lose if you can't make it and no inducement to tell the club you're not going to turn up - more no shows.

You use CLs then?

Posted on 29/12/2020 20:13

As a member of the Camping and Caravan Clubs  we use their 5 van sites -  CS's  ---- Certificated Sites and occasionally their Club sites.

If you would like a recommendation of a brilliant CS and an outstandingly located Club site, don't be afraid to ask.

Regarding the £20 deposit I agree it is not too much to lose but say for example you have made 5 frivolous bookings "just in case" then the £20s may/will add up to a £100.

Cornersteady replied on 29/12/2020 20:15

Posted on 29/12/2020 20:13 by MikeyA

As a member of the Camping and Caravan Clubs  we use their 5 van sites -  CS's  ---- Certificated Sites and occasionally their Club sites.

If you would like a recommendation of a brilliant CS and an outstandingly located Club site, don't be afraid to ask.

Posted on 29/12/2020 20:15

thanks but a step too far

Tinwheeler replied on 29/12/2020 20:31

Posted on 29/12/2020 20:15 by Cornersteady

thanks but a step too far

Posted on 29/12/2020 20:31

Mmm, I use them but their booking and deposit faff leaves them wanting in many ways. CAMC makes things so simple.

I don’t think CAMC needs to worry about empty pitches as long as people are saying sites are full and they can't get a pitch, do you?🤣🤣

davetommo replied on 29/12/2020 20:49

Posted on 29/12/2020 19:56 by Cornersteady

You use CLs then?

Posted on 29/12/2020 20:49

Like yourself I also find that £20 is not that much to lose. Having said that to me it would be throwing £20 pound away, and would make me think twice. In 36 years membership I have only cancelled once, that was this year in the October half term. Reason being I had booked October half term at Norfolk Broads site, as I was in a tier 3 area so the club told me to cancel. 

chasncath replied on 29/12/2020 22:17

Posted on 29/12/2020 19:17 by EmilysDad

but not everyone works Mon to Fri like the Forces do 'shore side'

Posted on 29/12/2020 22:17

When we took leave, the days taken included Saturday and Sunday from our entitlement. When asked, we worked 7 days a week as we were paid 7 days a week. 

mbee1 replied on 30/12/2020 10:49

Posted on 29/12/2020 16:29 by cyberyacht

With regard to deposits, why are proposals always in a "all or nothing" format. If, and I emphasise 'If",  members feel that deposits might help, could not a relatively high deposit(50% for 6 days+, 100% for 5days-) be required for bookings for more than say three months in advance with it being non-refundable if less than one months notice being given. That would enable long-term planners to secure their chosen holiday whilst discouraging speculative "weekend squatters".

I will now await the howls of protest and reasons why that could not possibly work.

Posted on 30/12/2020 10:49

No howls of protest here.  I've said before that members should have a booking account. Relatively high deposits that are, to an extent, refundable.  Let's assume you book over six months advance and pay a 50% deposit.  The nearer you get to the date the less becomes refundable so, if you book, say, less than a month before you go you forfeit it all subject to safeguards like a death or illness.

Another way would be to restrict the amount of nights a member can book.  For example, no more than (say) 5 weekends or 4 full weeks.  

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook