Elizabeth is Missing

DavidKlyne replied on 09/12/2019 00:05

Posted on 09/12/2019 00:05

BBC 1 tonight. A hard watch but a quite riveting performance by Glenda Jackson, former star of Women in Love, an MP for some years and now in her eighties. Its based on a book by Emma Healey. The main character is Maud (Glenda Jackson) who is struggling with Alzheimer’s. The story revolves around two time periods, one when she was young when her sister went missing and the second in the present day when she can't find her friend. In many ways its the difference in the sharpness of mind that she can remember what happened when she was young contrasted with the confusion and anger of not being able to remember what is happen in the present time. It is not an easy watch and for those you have had love ones who suffered the same condition it will be quite poignant.

David

DavidKlyne replied on 12/12/2019 16:56

Posted on 12/12/2019 16:56

There is more information here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50747526 It seems that it is Samsung who have not updated the security certificates that are required to access the BBC iPlayer. One way round it is as Bill has discovered to use a third party device to circumnavigate the issue. We tend to watch TV through our Humax box rather than directly through the TV (not a Samsung). We do this because we are always recording programmes so it makes finding them easier from the same platform.

David

EmilysDad replied on 12/12/2019 18:06

Posted on 12/12/2019 16:56 by DavidKlyne

There is more information here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50747526 It seems that it is Samsung who have not updated the security certificates that are required to access the BBC iPlayer. One way round it is as Bill has discovered to use a third party device to circumnavigate the issue. We tend to watch TV through our Humax box rather than directly through the TV (not a Samsung). We do this because we are always recording programmes so it makes finding them easier from the same platform.

David

Posted on 12/12/2019 18:06

We watch our numb telly via a Humax box but have never introduced it to the Interweb ...

lornalou1 replied on 12/12/2019 18:58

Posted on 12/12/2019 18:58

No problem with my Samsung, everything works as normal. Did turn tv on a few days ago and got a banner across the top saying software update completed.

SeasideBill replied on 12/12/2019 19:52

Posted on 12/12/2019 18:58 by lornalou1

No problem with my Samsung, everything works as normal. Did turn tv on a few days ago and got a banner across the top saying software update completed.

Posted on 12/12/2019 19:52

Finally got through to Samsung today.... new software works ok on some models, fix in progress for others (mine) and for some older models fix will never be available. This experience has put me off any future Samsung purchases.

EmilysDad replied on 12/12/2019 23:25

Posted on 12/12/2019 19:52 by SeasideBill

Finally got through to Samsung today.... new software works ok on some models, fix in progress for others (mine) and for some older models fix will never be available. This experience has put me off any future Samsung purchases.

Posted on 12/12/2019 23:25

The Samsung box I have that I got BBC iPlayer through isn't that old frown

Whittakerr replied on 16/12/2019 08:04

Posted on 16/12/2019 08:04

Getting back to the original post I watched this over the weekend and found it enjoyable and compelling viewing.

MrRoute replied on 16/12/2019 10:07

Posted on 10/12/2019 12:41 by SeasideBill

If, like me, you were planning on watching this on iPlayer and you’re unlucky enough to own a Samsung ‘smart’ TV, be aware that BBC have made some recent changes to iPlayer which are not supported by Samsung software so it doesn’t work anymore. Seems that my 5 year smart TV is now a dumb TV! Thank you BBC, bloody annoying!

Still available on the iPad tho.

Posted on 16/12/2019 10:07

We have a samsung smart T V. When entering bbc iplayer it tells me to check for updates and downloads accordingly, have you tried this?

SeasideBill replied on 16/12/2019 15:26

Posted on 16/12/2019 10:07 by MrRoute

We have a samsung smart T V. When entering bbc iplayer it tells me to check for updates and downloads accordingly, have you tried this?

Posted on 16/12/2019 15:26

Done all that to death with no improvement. My problems started with messages like yours, have you checked if your iPlayer works? It will load up ok, give you all the catch-up programme options, but then when you select what you want to watch, it just freezes for a while then gives you an error message. You can set your Samsung TV to auto update software, so should all happen without you knowing.

SeasideBill replied on 16/12/2019 21:55

Posted on 16/12/2019 21:55

Finally got to see this tonight using my new Google gizmo. 

Outstanding drama -  well done BBC. It was obviously written by someone with deep, personal experience of a close family member with dementia. The stuff with scrappy lists everywhere is spot on, absolutely what my mother does, sometimes writing quite distressing things.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook