International cuisine

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 27/11/2018 14:37

Posted on 22/11/2018 20:21 by Wherenext

Doesn't surprise me Micky. Mrs WN, a Lancastrian, has always maintained that Lancashire can be proud to have given the world Black Pudding, Tripe and Haggis. Bring on the deep fried Mars bar I say.laughing

Posted on 27/11/2018 14:37

Lancashire, really?πŸ€”

BLACK PUDDING IS A BLOOD SAUSAGE
Black pudding has a interesting history all of its own, stretching back over thousands of years and many countries, but in Great Britain, the black pudding is an essential part of the English breakfast.

Black pudding is a kind of sausage, except that unlike normal sausages, you make it with blood. To make a black pudding, you cook blood mixed with a filler (oatmeal) until it is thick enough to congeal when cooled and because of this, black pudding is one of those things people either love or hate.

The very first time that the black pudding appeared in literature was in 800 BC, when black pudding was mentioned in Homer's classic saga 'The Odyssey'. Homer famously described the way people felt in that time about black puddings, when he famously wrote;

As when a man besides a great fire has filled a sausage with fat and blood and turns it this way and that and is very eager to get it quickly roasted.
Later on in the Odyssey, Homer had his champion Odysseus get into a fight for a prize of a stomach stuffed with pig blood and fat. Clearly Homer was a man who liked his black pudding.

Black pudding was not just food for the poor, it was also food fit for the nobility and the extravagant breakfast banquets held by King Henry VIII at Hampton Court notably included black pudding on the menu, perhaps because it was a favorite a King who was renowned for his love of food.

800 BC Lancashire inventing Black PuddingπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Wherenext replied on 27/11/2018 20:46

Posted on 27/11/2018 20:46

Listen Mr.Buckets - If my missus says it was born in Lancashire do you really think that I am going to sacrifice myself on the altar of truth? I don't really care who invented it, it could have been Vlad the Impaler for all I care just as long as he came from Lancashire.laughing

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 27/11/2018 22:31

Posted on 27/11/2018 20:46 by Wherenext

Listen Mr.Buckets - If my missus says it was born in Lancashire do you really think that I am going to sacrifice myself on the altar of truth? I don't really care who invented it, it could have been Vlad the Impaler for all I care just as long as he came from Lancashire.laughing

Posted on 27/11/2018 22:31

Fair point WN, after extensive research I found this(below). Mrs WN certainly knows Her HistoryπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜Š

Kennine replied on 28/11/2018 09:16

Posted on 28/11/2018 09:16

In England,  Black pudding may have been first cooked in the North of England.    But the best Black pudding in the whole of the  UK, is most definitely produced in the Scottish Orkney Islands.  Absolutely Superb.  cool

smile

Wherenext replied on 28/11/2018 14:24

Posted on 27/11/2018 22:31 by Rocky 2 buckets

Fair point WN, after extensive research I found this(below). Mrs WN certainly knows Her HistoryπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜Š

Posted on 28/11/2018 14:24

❀️❀️❀️ (Mrs.WN)

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook