What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

nelliethehooker replied on 16/04/2024 22:09

Posted on 16/04/2024 22:09

Grand photos again, M, you are certainly fitting in a lot during your stay there.

Lovely photo  Goldie, many of the fields that we pass appear a love fresh green.

Have a safe tow up to Kendal, Kjell. Are you staying on one of the club sites or going back to Spital Farm?

We too have received out injection invites, but being up here we can't book an appointment but will have to wait till we get back home.

• It has been a lovely sunny day with no rain to speak of. We went to Drumlanrig this morning  gor a walk around the gardens before lunch and through the woods in the afternoon. Some shots from our day, but not a patch on Moulesy's.

KjellNN replied on 16/04/2024 22:23

Posted on 16/04/2024 22:23

Yes, Nellie, Spital has been booked as usual these days.  No point in paying for a site with facilities that we do not need.  Serviced hard standing is ideal for us, as is the location very close to the retail park.

Still £19 per night.

heddlo replied on 17/04/2024 07:03

Posted on 17/04/2024 07:03

OH has received his email for his Spring Covid booster, although as we are in Macau for another month it will wait until we get back home.  Is it just me or are others wondering about the necessity of 6 monthly boosters?  I do understand the greater need for winter boosters but Spring as well?  We both had Covid in January anyway, what strain obviously we have no idea but the vaccine strain could be the ‘wrong’ one also.  Will ponder further on this one.  It’s been so hot here I almost envy reading the posts about rain and hail.  It’s around 31 degs most days and 23 at night, with 85’ish % humidity - thank heavens for air conditioning.  Taking the little one to school isn’t too bad but collecting at 4pm - phew!  Even so they are still rushing about playing games in the playground after school.  The baby (15 months) is a bit poorly at present, teething perhaps, as he  seems to often have a fever.  Really good for us (Nana and Grandad) babysitting while Mum and Dad are away.  We have Doctors’ numbers in emergencies but fingers crossed things improve.  

milliehull replied on 17/04/2024 08:42

Posted on 17/04/2024 08:42

heddlo We know someone who ended up in hospital after contracting covid a couple of months ago. She got a chest infection then sepsis and ended up on a ventilator an nearly died. Although up and about she still isn't well so I will take anything they offer. I hope your youngest grandchild gets better soon and that you enjoy the rest of your stay in Macau.

Great photos nellie and moulesy. 

Francis replied on 17/04/2024 17:29

Posted on 17/04/2024 17:29

Lovely bright sunny day here today a contrast from yesterday which was miserable. Power washed the slabs in the back garden now got dinner cooking on the Cadac not quite warm enough to sit on the deck so sitting in the summer house which has had the sun most of the day so pleasant in here. How long will this last I wonder before the gales and rain return 

moulesy replied on 17/04/2024 19:12

Posted on 17/04/2024 19:12

Today's visit to Auschwitz has been pretty full on to say the least. I've always worried slightly about the morality of setting the place up as a visitor experience, but the guides went to great lengths to point out that the survivors themselves had wanted it to stand as a testament and, hopefully, to ensure the nothing similar can ever happen again. Of course the history of the place is well documented but I don't think anything can prepare you (certainly not me) for the true extent of the horrors perpetrated there. From the moment you walk through the "walk makes you free" gate it is unremitting horrific. The exhibits of confiscated items includes crutches and artificial limbs along with more every day (cookery) items (they had been told they were being taken to new places to live). Perhaps the most moving exhibition, though, was the mountains of shoes - the picture shows less than a quarter of the total number which fills both sides of a long block. You are taken through a number of cell blocks where there are row after row of photographs of the prisoners (taken by the SS) with details of their arrival at the camp and their death (often only a very short time later) and eventually to the "execution wall" where, very often, large groups were summarily shot to death.

At the end of the tour there is the staggering sight of the "Book of Names" containing the names of over 4 million victims (and still being added to as new information arises.)

It is a very moving experience and one never to be forgotten, for all the wrong reasons, sadly.

HelenandTrevor replied on 17/04/2024 19:24

Posted on 17/04/2024 19:24

Lovely photos, enjoy your holiday/trip Moulesy, heddlo & Nellie.

Had a few days of reasonable weather, makes a nice change. 🙂

Had a look round our New Go Outdoors store, quite impressed a good range of stuff, the new shop apparently is replacing the now closed Oxford store. 

It seems another neighbour is going to a care home permanently, so it will mean another house for sale in our street, they don't seem to be selling very fast at the moment 😕 

Have had a few stressful days at work so am looking forward to a bit of R&R this weekend, just a few hours at work in the morning then we will head off in the afternoon. 🙂

Tinwheeler replied on 17/04/2024 20:28

Posted on 17/04/2024 20:28

Moulesy, it should never be forgotten and the visitor experience will help the horrific events live on in our memories and serve as an education for younger folk who probably find it hard to grasp that such things took place only 80 odd years ago.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook