What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

Takethedogalong replied on 22/02/2020 19:15

Posted on 22/02/2020 19:07 by Wherenext

Drove over from North Wales to Harrogate and a cottage we've rented for the next week. Came via Skipton. Lots of flood water around but we managed just fine and stopped for a bite to eat and a visit to the Art shop.

Had to divert around Otley due to the floods. The cottage is excellent. It's set on a hill so we're not directly affected.The weather looks changeable but we'll enjoy the break anyway. Nice change. 

Posted on 22/02/2020 19:15

I thought you were staying close to Otley! Can highly recommend Fodder for lunch, Great Yorkshire Showground👍👍👍https://fodder.co.uk/

Cornersteady replied on 22/02/2020 19:32

Posted on 22/02/2020 18:02 by Takethedogalong

A lovely drive, it’s often our chosen route Southwards from Northumberland. We have encountered snow round there as well. I seem to think Derwent area the first place I can recall hearing Curlews calling, we were on our honeymoon, touring all over in our little camper!

Posted on 22/02/2020 19:32

it is indeed, and a great big car park at Blanchland (big enough for MHs but signs say no overnight parking - an official one and one, for some reason, handwritten in red highlighter) the village is going through a 'regeneration' of sorts, gift shop, and the school converted into a lovely tea room which we made full use ofsmile

I'm always amazed to see the difference in Consett, when Mrs C first brought me there in about 1982 it was a steel town with huge furnace building either side of the main street with overhead gantries crisscrossing it, to me it looked horrible and menacing and the building all covered with a red colour. It was a total economic local disaster when the works shut down with many out of work. There was a local comedian Bobby Thompson who called it Giro City (even when playing there) and how he went into a pub there in June and was given a drink on the house, he asked why and he was told it was for first footing!

Now it is a lovely rural commuter town with lots of new expensive housing, the theatre and ballroom in the main street fully restored and used and a full range of supermarkets.

KjellNN replied on 22/02/2020 19:38

Posted on 22/02/2020 14:55 by Freddy55

Re induction hobs. It’s worth paying a bit more for decent pans, imo. We bought some ‘Stellar’ pans which are quite heavy. We’ve since bought a few odd pans (frying pan etc) that state they are suitable for induction hobs, but frankly they’re rubbish by comparison. The frying pan requires full power just to get it going.

Posted on 22/02/2020 19:38

OH is a great believer in always getting decent pans.  Although we have a selection of newer pans, we still also have the very solid copper based stainless steel "Old Hall" ones we got about 50 years back, though just recently the copper base on one of them has gone a bit odd, need to take it to the garage and operate on it!

We have reasonably solid ones in the caravan too, having replaced our old camping nest of pots with some good Ikea ones.  The lightweight pots allow food to burn too easily.

KjellNN replied on 22/02/2020 19:53

Posted on 21/02/2020 22:11 by Freddy55

When I changed mine, they were the original tyres, Continental, that had covered 25,000 miles. I had some Avon’s fitted, and so far so good, but no conclusions as yet. I always think (rightly or wrongly) it’s worth it to pay a bit (?) more for quality/branded tyres. 

Posted on 22/02/2020 19:53

We had Vredestein mud and snow type fitted on our XC 90, they did over 30000 miles easily, so we have gone for the new version of the same ones on the Touareg.  Set of 4, bought on line but fitted locally, was around £680 in total I think.  Hope they last as well as the previous ones.

The Volvo was hard on tyres, 3 sets in the 9 years we had it.  The originals were Continentals and only did 18000 miles, then we had Nokian mud and snow which were much better, and finally the Vredesteins.

ABM replied on 22/02/2020 20:32

Posted on 22/02/2020 19:07 by Wherenext

Drove over from North Wales to Harrogate and a cottage we've rented for the next week. Came via Skipton. Lots of flood water around but we managed just fine and stopped for a bite to eat and a visit to the Art shop.

Had to divert around Otley due to the floods. The cottage is excellent. It's set on a hill so we're not directly affected.The weather looks changeable but we'll enjoy the break anyway. Nice change. 

Posted on 22/02/2020 20:32

Er  Er  hate to do this WN, but when you went to the Art Shop were you looking for water colours perchance  wink ??

Ok, ok I'll get me pj's on and go to bed   surprisedcry

ABM replied on 22/02/2020 20:59

Posted on 22/02/2020 20:59

David K,

Just before I go for a trip to the Land of Nod, David,  I have to ask --  How many of those boxes have you managed to fill now the kitchen is finished ??  wink

Takethedogalong replied on 22/02/2020 21:21

Posted on 22/02/2020 19:32 by Cornersteady

it is indeed, and a great big car park at Blanchland (big enough for MHs but signs say no overnight parking - an official one and one, for some reason, handwritten in red highlighter) the village is going through a 'regeneration' of sorts, gift shop, and the school converted into a lovely tea room which we made full use ofsmile

I'm always amazed to see the difference in Consett, when Mrs C first brought me there in about 1982 it was a steel town with huge furnace building either side of the main street with overhead gantries crisscrossing it, to me it looked horrible and menacing and the building all covered with a red colour. It was a total economic local disaster when the works shut down with many out of work. There was a local comedian Bobby Thompson who called it Giro City (even when playing there) and how he went into a pub there in June and was given a drink on the house, he asked why and he was told it was for first footing!

Now it is a lovely rural commuter town with lots of new expensive housing, the theatre and ballroom in the main street fully restored and used and a full range of supermarkets.

Posted on 22/02/2020 21:21

Blanchland is a very unusual place, always reminds me of a shooting lodge! Not surprised car park is off limits for overnight parking. There is a lovely forestry car park along the road, some nice little walks down to reservoir. We sometimes have a stop for a cuppa and leg stretch.

Good to hear Consett is now thriving, it deserves to do well. OH found a great little CL for a stopover on his own when I used to commute, somewhere up there. A proper field with tap!😂

nelliethehooker replied on 22/02/2020 21:46

Posted on 21/02/2020 22:11 by Freddy55

When I changed mine, they were the original tyres, Continental, that had covered 25,000 miles. I had some Avon’s fitted, and so far so good, but no conclusions as yet. I always think (rightly or wrongly) it’s worth it to pay a bit (?) more for quality/branded tyres. 

Posted on 22/02/2020 21:46

Our old ones were Pirelli Scorpions and we'd done over 25,000 from new. I knew that the fronts were needing replacing soon, it just came a little sooner than expected!!

nelliethehooker replied on 22/02/2020 22:03

Posted on 22/02/2020 21:21 by Takethedogalong

Blanchland is a very unusual place, always reminds me of a shooting lodge! Not surprised car park is off limits for overnight parking. There is a lovely forestry car park along the road, some nice little walks down to reservoir. We sometimes have a stop for a cuppa and leg stretch.

Good to hear Consett is now thriving, it deserves to do well. OH found a great little CL for a stopover on his own when I used to commute, somewhere up there. A proper field with tap!😂

Posted on 22/02/2020 22:03

We had a wander round Blanchland when we were up there late last year, but it was too wet to fully appreciate the area.

My father used to work at Consett Ironworks when I was born. We lived at Blackhill at the time, but I've no memory of the place, unfortunately, except I remember searching for a pet rabbit which had escaped from it's hutch. I think that I'd left the hutch door unlocked after feeding him.embarassed

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook