What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

Takethedogalong replied on 23/02/2020 10:58

Posted on 23/02/2020 10:58

We like Industrial Archeology as well Corners. Cromford Mill and the canal are very interesting, lots to see. It’s often the servants quarters in big houses that are of greater interest, much more poignant and real. My favourite is the little bothy that was once home to some of the gardeners that worked at Heligan. My grandad was a gardener in his early teens at Wentworth Woodhouse. His parents had an estate cottage that my Mum can remember visiting as a little girl. They lived almost in luxury compared to the horrible back to back hovels in town.

Tinwheeler replied on 23/02/2020 10:59

Posted on 23/02/2020 10:59

It will work, DnL, but wastes energy.

The easy check for induction compatibility is to carry a magnet and ensure the bottoms of the pans are attractive to the magnet.

SteveL replied on 23/02/2020 11:31

Posted on 23/02/2020 10:35 by Takethedogalong

Oh that is a shame Steve, we like and use the Land Rover. As you say, good value. I feel a boycott coming on, we shall use our own MH facilities. Do you take your MH for a run out there?  It’s one of our places to take ours for a run. The Park hasn’t half changed in the last few years or so, and not all for the good I feel. I learned to drive around Clumber, going to miss that through route over the bridge. Somewhat ironic about Trust closing it to vehicles, they were always happy enough for GB Car Rally to take it out every year back in 1990’s. I can recall walking the Horse Trials fence route as well, all through heathland and along lakeside. 

Edit found this YouTube video of Rally, late great Colin Macrae in his Scooby, quite sedate tackling of bridge! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6l-1f_XsRs

Posted on 23/02/2020 11:31

Yes we do take the MH for a run to Clumber TDA. Also visit most weeks in the car as it's so close to us. Also walked the Hirse Trials Route and went to almost all the RAC rally events held there. One year they included some forest stages in the park. I rember peaking out from behind a large tree watching CM tearing towards us at a horrendous velocity and the brakes glowing cherry red as he took the bend in front of us. Shame they stopped hosting it.☹️

redface replied on 23/02/2020 14:01

Posted on 23/02/2020 14:01

Interesting article in the which? magazine this month, on the subject of induction hobs. Apparently you can buy a diffuser ( a.k.a. adaptor or interface) which transfers heat to the pans that do not have sufficient iron in them to work on their own.There is however a slight downside in that some heat is lost.

Also be very careful if you wear a pacemaker.

Bakers2 replied on 23/02/2020 15:07

Posted on 23/02/2020 14:01 by redface

Interesting article in the which? magazine this month, on the subject of induction hobs. Apparently you can buy a diffuser ( a.k.a. adaptor or interface) which transfers heat to the pans that do not have sufficient iron in them to work on their own.There is however a slight downside in that some heat is lost.

Also be very careful if you wear a pacemaker.

Posted on 23/02/2020 15:07

Your last paragraph caused me to Google! Didnt know that and I do read all the leaflets given out!

OH had an ICD, pacemaker with it's own defibrillator, fitted last year. We have induction hob, have had for 8 years plus and LOVE it, but no one said about them. He rarely cooks and I see no reason why his ICD would be closer than 60cms to it, but fairly important to know.

Not posted as this delightful site denied me entry! Intermittent fault 😂😂😂😂. Hard to even get to read the pages...............

Still plodding away at paperwork for mum, despite employing solicitor 😉🤐, she left a will and we thought it would be straightforward.......... Making similar slow progress on sorting the house. Sister in law had a new hip Friday and so it continues! Certain institutions leave a lot to be desired, whether they have a bereavement team or not. Can't imagine how you'd feel after a tragic passing - keep offering condolences doesn't make up for sloppy work systems........

Been digging up old rose's at mum's, HUGE tap roots, today in wind far stronger than forecast and heavy shower much earlier than forecast. Now got them home, next headache where to put them - won't be today! I'll pot them up. Any advice on compost would be good, I already have some horse compost i was going to use as mulch but I need to mix it with something - John Innes? Sadly our knowable nursery has closed! They're pretty tall too but I don't what to shock them too much by pruning hard as well. Oh well got 2 chances! They're the ones she planted for our daughter and granddaughter - for some reason only those 2 got them! Our granddaughter's is Lovely Ladies and since all her great grandchildren are girls we pluralised it, but I'm not sure her grandsons consider Ballerina appropriate 😂. Plus an unnamed one from Woolworths from before dad passed 18 years ago, probably long before that! Which always flowered on his birthday in Jund and hers in October. Really funny what you get sentimental over 😀 and I really don't like roses as plants or flowers 😂. 

Good to read folks news. Stay dry and safe.

brue replied on 23/02/2020 15:22

Posted on 23/02/2020 15:22

Let that horse muck rot down well B2, OH once got hold of some locally and spread it liberally on the veg patch...horses had obviously enjoyed lots of grass and WEEDS! Never again!! laughingwink

Sorry about the long road to sort your Mum's "estate" it does take a long time and in our case the calculations from HMRC were wrong and we got a late tax bill after everything was settled. Mum left very little and I had shared it out with our children. Then my sister and self had to fork out from our own pockets...nothing seems to be straight forward. frown

Do hope your SIL makes a good recovery, at least (hopefully) the winter will be over and better things ahead.

I am sentimental about plants that have been specially chosen or given, I have nurtured some spindly roses my Aunt gave me from a newspaper offer, no names, no scent but I try to keep them going! smile

It's just me and the dog today, she seems to have exhausted herself with visiting dog over the last few days so after a walk through the fields all is quiet.

ADD46 replied on 23/02/2020 15:53

Posted on 23/02/2020 15:53

Bakers I enjoyed reading your post reference the roses. We dug up four standard roses from my Mums front garden when she passed away. As it was November at the time, nobody could remember what colour that were, so I gave one to each of my brother and two sisters not knowing what colour we each had. All I knew, was I didn’t want a yellow one! (I don’t like yellow flowers for some reason🤔) We all waited until the next summer to find out what colour we had. Luckily from the tangled rootstocks, I’d chosen a lovely white rose with a slight blush edging. 🌹Now planted in the centre of our back garden.

Bakers2 replied on 23/02/2020 15:55

Posted on 23/02/2020 15:55

Brue I did similar with well rotted horse manure from the bottom of a large heap - still got weeds 😤😤. This horse compost was commerically bagged from a good nursery when on offer I sincerely hope I won't get a repeat!

As to official paperwork 😤. Mum and dad didn't leave much, no complaints from me, just cottage and a bit in savings. They owned the house as tenants in common and dads half came to children and grandchildren when he died but it seems no trust was put in place so not as straightforward...... Hopefully no tax to pay but.......

Hope you're feeling better and that your cute little dog is settling in. We meet one last week but no good 😢. Reading the blurb a bit like reading estate agent speak! First ones we checked out needed 'some ongoing training', both had possessive tendencies and HAD bitten! This one couldn't live with dogs, but that turned out to be wouldn't tolerate a visiting one either...... never mind when the time is right it will work out.

Bakers2 replied on 23/02/2020 16:02

Posted on 23/02/2020 16:02

ADD46 many plants in my garden came from friends or special places. Isn't it lovely to recall great memories of people or places as you enjoy your garden?

We had a good laugh as we dug out Lovely Lady, hasn't been in 6 years yet and it had a longest tap root we couldn't get out in tact, but there's a label still readable which I took to be Bressingham, as I could only read essing, but turned out to be Blessings. Thought all that work for the wrong rose. Good check of photos and Google to see Lovely Lady, confirmed  it was correct rose - phew!

Just have to hope they survive but they'll have to have a decent haircut  getting them in the car was ?fun? vicious things!

ADD46 replied on 23/02/2020 16:24

Posted on 23/02/2020 16:24

I also dug this one up. Don’t know what it’s called and it only gives one flower a year 😐 but that one flower is a beautiful colour so it stays....

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook