What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

ABM replied on 12/05/2021 23:05

Posted on 12/05/2021 23:05

Years ago, in my old Sherpa, I had the pleasure of going over to Mull for a couple of weeks. I went and returned via the Fishnish ~~ Lochaline Ferry.  Coming back I had to wait on the down slope, close against the wall when the ferry arrived . First vehicle off could not turn round so it was quite quickly reversed up the  ramp between us all waiting and the drop down into the sea.  The lady driver waiting in the car in front, emerged, having a severe case of the screaming ab-dabs, ran round her car and commenced hammering on the roof.  Somehow I got the feeling that she was defo NOT going to be driving anywhere near that simple little ferry, no matter WHO gave her calming advice, pills and guidance. The gentleman passenger swapped seats, did the loading/unloading and spent the short crossing talking , calmly enough, but gave the rest of us a smile and a wink whilst saving the St Andrew services a fair few  calming pills  wink.  Somehow I don't think anybody on here will need those pills anyway.

Oh how the memories roll around  innocentcool

milliehull replied on 13/05/2021 08:12

Posted on 12/05/2021 19:29 by heddlo

We have stayed at Ashridge Farm many times. Usually when we were babysitting and the grandchildren came to stay in the caravan with us.  They live in Hitchin.  Haven’t been for a couple of years now as grandchildren don’t think the caravan is ‘cool’ enough now they are early teens!!😄

Posted on 13/05/2021 08:12

Yes heddlo we have grandchildren of a similar age and with a similar attitude 😁. Our eldest grand-daughter on the other hand ,(now in her 20s) always loved the caravan and sometimes joined us in France up until she went to Uni. Times have changed.😒

Takethedogalong replied on 13/05/2021 10:16

Posted on 13/05/2021 10:16

It’s a long time ago, but we did the CalMac trip to Mull and Iona as well. Memorable, and not just for the fact the crossing didn’t affect me. We took our dogs with us, they were allowed up on the deck, and we spent a good deal of the journey out to Mull conversing with a French lady doing the same. She was interested in dogs as she had a Fox Terrier back home and was missing him. We did a breakneck drive across Mull to get foot ferry to Iona, spent a good few hours on there, fabulous beaches, very interesting Abbey, and then even had tenough time to drive round a good bit of Mull, before getting last CalMac back to Oban. We like Oban, lots of interesting places around for us, Castles, Churches, and North Ledaig Site is lovely (nicer than Bunree we thought).

Another nice Scottish trip a bit off the now all too heavily done tourist routes is to get the Cal Mac from Gourock to Dunoon, drive across the peninsular and then do the little ferry from Portavardie to Tarbert on Kintyre. We stayed with family at Carradale Site, in the log cabins, right on the beach. Lots of stunningly beautiful bays (McRahanish), good walks, interesting small castles, and you can get transport to Ireland from Campbeltown. We drove back all the way round rather than do the ferries again, so much to see, and the Autumn colours were stunning. Arran is another route out there....

ABM’s post has reminded me......you do need to be able to reverse to get on and off some of the CalMac ferries😂

DEBSC replied on 13/05/2021 17:22

Posted on 13/05/2021 17:22

Just reading the posts on grandchildren and caravanning. We have 6, five of them from 15 to 20 and an 8 year old. They have very frequently caravaned with us in the past and often talk of their happy memories. They now love going to the static van, they can't wait to go, admittedly more so when the WIFI is working! We love having their company. However, we are now getting to the next stage, " do you think we could borrow the caravan to stop there with some friends Nan?" I have managed to sidestep this question so far.

ABM replied on 13/05/2021 17:32

Posted on 13/05/2021 17:32

Don't put them off too much, DEBSC, it is, as the world knows only too well, the intermediate step before they take YOU, park you under the awning, sustenance in reach, then return (much) later  to ask what sort of day you had, before regaling you all with the tales of  ( embarassed ---> embarassed ) from points various !!

Brian

DEBSC replied on 13/05/2021 18:07

Posted on 13/05/2021 18:07

No ABM, I've told them since they were little, " when you are all old enough, you can pick me up and drive me to the pub, and pay for the drinks". This was in return for all the treats they got when small. It's nearly got to that stage, but I expect the drinks will still be on me.

RedKite replied on 13/05/2021 18:25

Posted on 13/05/2021 18:25

Another dull and damp day here but we had a new bathroom cupboard  to pick up from our local Brico Depot much the same as B&Q same owner Kingfisher, the cupboard was ordered online as only 2 left, but as the road down was next to the Autoroute and it was very busy as Ascension here so a long weekend holiday away motorhomes caravans and a lot of packed cars all heading south probably hoping for some sun further south but forecast not too warm there either 21C  and should be 25C plus here about 16/17C more like March/April.

Have noticed a lot of trees are not in full leaf yet so a lot later this year even with the rain this month, April was cold and dry.

No bars or restaurants open until next Wednesday and we have noticed a few have closed and are up for sale which is a shame as the tourists are starting to come out now.

Our 2nd jab next Tuesday and the health staff say 15 days after 2nd jab and you should be able to go away, we are still wearing masks here and so far not seen many folk without, just wish folk would throw them away properly not on the roads and pavements. 

Wherenext replied on 13/05/2021 18:33

Posted on 13/05/2021 18:33

Had a smashing day today. Forecast was for a fine morning then rain from lunchtime but it stayed dry until we got back to the caravan late afternoon. 

Spent the morning at a local nature reserve, Cors Ddyga (correct spellinglaughing), which is a large reserve about 4 miles away using the old open cast mining and farming areas so plenty of wetlands and scrubby Willow and Carr. Plus once away from the car park virtually no-one to bother you. There's no centre as such and the C.P.is free. You can walk for miles on good paths and cycle on excellent surfaces.

After lunch we drove the 3 mies to Llangefni in the centre of the island and had a lovely riverside walk through "The Dingle" to a reservoir and back plus we popped into a caravan store shop as we needed a few things.

Nice weather all round today. Warm but not much breeze. A day for shorts and short sleeve top and gilet.

DSB replied on 13/05/2021 19:28

Posted on 13/05/2021 19:28

Thank you all so much for your earlier birthday wishes and congratulations for Ruth and Wayne, our daughter and son-in-law.  Hopefully we'll have a scottish grandson in October!

We've only been to Lewis & Harris once, Takethedogalong, but I can't remember having to reverse of the CalMac ferry.  We travelled from Uig on Skye to Tarbert on Harris, just a few months after Ruth & Wayne bought the cottage on Lewis.  They've been living up there permanently for around 14 months now - just at the start of the pandemic, when Ruth got the job at Stornaway hospital.

I remember sitting outside the Harris Gin Company having a hot drink and cake on arrival - one of the nicest hot chocolates I have ever had.  Sadly, Wayne tells me they have now closed the cafe.  Hopefully they will open it again  when the Islands open up a little more.

David

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook