What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

Rufs replied on 27/10/2021 12:08

Posted on 27/10/2021 12:08

"That's just a short trip for us brue, we are on our tenth site, and 1300+ mls, so far and have another 5 to visit before getting home"

just off for a lye down in our caravan which is on the hardstanding next to the bungalow, you make me feel very tired Nellie, not sure how many miles we covered on our last trip (6 weeks), Devon-Malvern-Gretna-Yorkshire, but only 4 sites, more than enough for me laughing

Takethedogalong replied on 27/10/2021 13:34

Posted on 27/10/2021 13:34

There’s always been a huge local interest in WW Brue, mainly because the family owned so much round here, and employed thousands in all sorts of capacities. Up to around ten years ago, very very few had actually been inside the house though, and certainly not able to wander around. This area isn’t fashionable as a holiday location, so the fact that such a big house, huge estate was here has been rather a secret. Most locals will have grown up walking some of the estate, maybe have a home built on former estate land, many, like me have relatives who worked for the Fitzwilliams. We were there the day the last private owner opened up the grounds by the house for a Classic Car show, possibly the first fully public event that happened. The queues to get down the drive, to be able to peer into some of the windows was astonishing. Luckily, it has all snowballed from there, and the house in particular is getting the care, and more importantly the funding it needs to survive. Lots of things locally are piggy backing on this now, it’s bringing tourist income into the area. The house, and the Estate are totally separate entities. The Estate isn’t just the land around here, but thousands of acres of moorlands stretching into Derbyshire, known as The Strines. Then there’s the land at Old Malton, the Peterborough Estate......

Wherenext replied on 27/10/2021 13:50

Posted on 27/10/2021 13:50

Sorting out some paperwork this morning before taking MiL to the doctors surgery for an annual blood pressure test etc.

Forgot to mention it the other day but I suppose it was going to happen one day. We popped into our new Aldi which shares the car park with McDs. It was a sunny day just after lunch time. There was a party of about 10 people all dressed up eating at one of McDs outdoor tables. It was a wedding do! Yep, some people are now having their reception at McDonalds. We know because a young lady returned to her car dressed to kill so we complimented her on her attire and she told us. No reason why they shouldn't but a sign of the times.

It's not the sort of day to be trusted weather wise out there at the moment.

Wherenext replied on 27/10/2021 13:55

Posted on 27/10/2021 13:55

Lying in bed last night having just dropped off to sleep about midnight when there was a crash of something falling to the floor in the room. Frightened the living daylight out of us. About 50 T-Light Candles, packed in a Zip Seal Food Bag had fallen off one of the shelves.

I had taken a book from behind them mid afternoon and must have just caught them and it had taken until midnight for gravity to slowly work it's magic and pull them to the floor.

It was the start of a bad nights sleep!

Takethedogalong replied on 27/10/2021 14:19

Posted on 27/10/2021 13:50 by Wherenext

Sorting out some paperwork this morning before taking MiL to the doctors surgery for an annual blood pressure test etc.

Forgot to mention it the other day but I suppose it was going to happen one day. We popped into our new Aldi which shares the car park with McDs. It was a sunny day just after lunch time. There was a party of about 10 people all dressed up eating at one of McDs outdoor tables. It was a wedding do! Yep, some people are now having their reception at McDonalds. We know because a young lady returned to her car dressed to kill so we complimented her on her attire and she told us. No reason why they shouldn't but a sign of the times.

It's not the sort of day to be trusted weather wise out there at the moment.

Posted on 27/10/2021 14:19

We once went to a wedding that had forgotten to cater for the vegetarians in the family. It was a BBQ type affair, majored on meat, with a bit of bread and salad. After a long day hanging around initially to get fed, salad and a bread bun didn’t do it for us. We left early for our two hour drive home and swanned into a McD drive through in our finery. I can’t tell you how nice that Veggie Wrap tasted!🤣

Watch out on 31st for that poltergeist WN👍

DSB replied on 27/10/2021 14:30

Posted on 26/10/2021 20:06 by brue

Thanks David, I thought I had remembered you visited the site. It was busy for half term, even the safari tents were in full use but it was nice to see lots of families enjoying themselves. We are now home, a mammoth trip seeing lots of family and friends, staying on six sites, up to Northumberland and back. However we feel pleased, after so many missed visits during Covid we now feel we've caught up with everyone (well nearly everyone.) 

We arrived home, visiting dog arrived at the same time, said goodbye to daughter and partner as they hit the road north themselves....hoping they're in N Cumbria by midnight!

(TDA still hoping to visit the Wentworth estate in the future. smile)

Posted on 27/10/2021 14:30

Glad you had a good time Brue, and that you have arrived home safely.

David

DavidKlyne replied on 27/10/2021 14:31

Posted on 27/10/2021 14:19 by Takethedogalong

We once went to a wedding that had forgotten to cater for the vegetarians in the family. It was a BBQ type affair, majored on meat, with a bit of bread and salad. After a long day hanging around initially to get fed, salad and a bread bun didn’t do it for us. We left early for our two hour drive home and swanned into a McD drive through in our finery. I can’t tell you how nice that Veggie Wrap tasted!🤣

Watch out on 31st for that poltergeist WN👍

Posted on 27/10/2021 14:31

We went to a wedding a few years ago. The service was around Midday and afterwards we decamped to the reception venue a few miles away. First it was the photos and then as the afternoon wore on we eventually went inside to hopefully enjoy the wedding supper only to have to sit through speech after speech, mainly in praise of the groom, felt sorry for the bride!!! It was approaching late afternoon before we got to eat. Clearly people have no perception that people like Margaret who is a diabetic can't go half the day without food. It was a strain on those of us who aren't diabetic!!!

David

brue replied on 27/10/2021 14:42

Posted on 27/10/2021 14:42

Similar for us at a wedding, filled with drink we were nearly keeling over by the time the food arrived. Even worse for me as we'd stayed at the hotel the night before and they served up the same vegetarian option I'd chosen the previous evening! (Mushroom risotto...didnt enjoy it much the first time roundfrown)

TDA hope you didn't think my comments about Wentworth were due to a lack of interest on my part. I loved the Black Diamonds book you recommended about the family and the history. smile

Wherenext replied on 27/10/2021 15:21

Posted on 27/10/2021 15:21

I went to a funeral of Mrs WNs aunt a few years ago and I asked the barmaid in the pub if they had anything Gluten Free. They provided me with a partially thawed sandwich but also stuck a Sausage Roll and a meat pie on the same plate.surprised Hello!!! Oh, you mean meat pie has flour in it???yell 

Fortunately I keep an energy bar in the car for emergencies. I now take my own sandwiches if going to places where I have no idea what's on offer on the basis that I don't mind throwing them away if not used.

ABM replied on 27/10/2021 17:27

Posted on 27/10/2021 17:27

Grey and breezy day round South Cheshire, but surprisingly warm for the time of year,  so, apart from visiting Farmer C for another months supply of pills and Insulin, I've kept out of the wind for fear of it raining and decided to do a good days laundry {  ooo, ABM can be a good lad when he puts his mind to it ~~  about twice a year according to those who know smile }

Hope that you all are taking great care of yourselves, especially WN, whom I hope has stocked up on different flavoured energy bars -- purely for emergencies of course  wink

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook