What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

nelliethehooker replied on 17/05/2024 21:39

Posted on 17/05/2024 16:46 by Oneputt

Went to Poole yesterday and got a new wheel speed sensor fitted.  Went to see brother he seems to be settling in quite nicely.  
This morning I went to Pullborough Brooks to listen to nightingales and wasn’t disappointed 

Posted on 17/05/2024 21:39

Glad to hear that your brother has settled in ok, OP, obviously the move down there went well. Good that you were able to get the problem with your car sorted, we too had a sensor problem with our Volvo when we were away, which was soon sorted out at the dealerts at Dereham. Nice that you were able to hear the nightingales.

Another hot sunny day, too warm to leave Flyte in the car had we decided to visit any of the castles in the area, so just took a couple of walks from the site. There are even less units on tonight, down to 4 occupied ones, less than on the CL we left yesterday.surprised

nelliethehooker replied on 18/05/2024 21:55

Posted on 18/05/2024 21:55

It started off fine again but did cloud up during the afternoon, with the sound of distant thunder for a short while, although no rain and still warm.  We went to the Muir of Dinnet Nature Reserve and did the way marked walk around Loch Kinord, with our picnic dinner half way round near The Kinord Cross, pictured below. After getting  back to the van I went for another walk up to the Tomnaverie Stone Circle. 

Goldie146 replied on 19/05/2024 17:07

Posted on 19/05/2024 17:07

It's definitley not No Mow May here. It's perfect weather for mowing - for silaging. We started yesterday afternoon with my son mowing 50 - 60 acres (maybe more - I missed what he said). Then this morning my husband started "rowing up" (putting 2 rows into one). And now my son  is following on with the Forage Wagon (picking up and chopping) and taking the loads back to the pit where my Grandson is buck-raking - using the tele handler to pile the grass up. Team effort.

My part is feeding the team - empty ice cream boxes filled with suitable food to rattle around in the tractor.

Bakers2 replied on 19/05/2024 17:35

Posted on 19/05/2024 17:07 by Goldie146

It's definitley not No Mow May here. It's perfect weather for mowing - for silaging. We started yesterday afternoon with my son mowing 50 - 60 acres (maybe more - I missed what he said). Then this morning my husband started "rowing up" (putting 2 rows into one). And now my son  is following on with the Forage Wagon (picking up and chopping) and taking the loads back to the pit where my Grandson is buck-raking - using the tele handler to pile the grass up. Team effort.

My part is feeding the team - empty ice cream boxes filled with suitable food to rattle around in the tractor.

Posted on 19/05/2024 17:35

It really is a decent spring day and good news. Hope the weather continues in a similar vein.

Finger crossed everything else on the farm is reasonable 🤞. 

mickysf replied on 19/05/2024 21:23

Posted on 19/05/2024 17:07 by Goldie146

Posted on 19/05/2024 21:23

I’m sure you are aware Goldie, but No Mow May is not about a total abstinence from mowing, it’s about finding some areas that can be left unmown for the benefit of nature. There are those species which depend on close grazed/mown habitats. It’s about finding those areas that can be left un mown for those species that depend on that very different habitat. Some being crucial to our agriculture. We just need to strike a balance wherever we can. It’s in our interests and those of nature to do so. Unfortunately, not all folk understand the concept of NMM.

nelliethehooker replied on 19/05/2024 22:04

Posted on 19/05/2024 22:04

Rather cloudy today,  and a fair bit cooler, so ideal for a castle visit, Crathes this time, with being able to leave Flyte in the car when we viewed the property. Firstly  walk around a small part of the estate before lunch then we went round the castle and the beautiful walled garden and a final walk before heading back to the van. 

Looks good weather in Cumbria, Goldie, hope that it continues for you, and hopefully for our builder too!!

milliehull replied on 20/05/2024 08:32

Posted on 20/05/2024 08:32

Lovely photos again nellie. Great to see Flyte as well. You seem to have been lucky with the weather this trip.

After 3 days of rain the weather picked up and yesterday especially was lovely. As our garden help didnt come this week because of the rain our garden was beginning to look like a jungle so we have spent most of the weekend cutting the grass and generally cutting back and tidying it so it looks a lot better. I am off to the osteopath this morning.

Oneputt replied on 20/05/2024 08:45

Posted on 20/05/2024 08:45

Good drive back to Norfolk last night, arrived an had van stored by midnight. Got Oddbods  coming in today to clean out our troughing and lower level Solar Panels

Goldie146 replied on 20/05/2024 09:06

Posted on 19/05/2024 21:23 by mickysf

I’m sure you are aware Goldie, but No Mow May is not about a total abstinence from mowing, it’s about finding some areas that can be left unmown for the benefit of nature. There are those species which depend on close grazed/mown habitats. It’s about finding those areas that can be left un mown for those species that depend on that very different habitat. Some being crucial to our agriculture. We just need to strike a balance wherever we can. It’s in our interests and those of nature to do so. Unfortunately, not all folk understand the concept of NMM.

Posted on 20/05/2024 09:06

My post was a bit tongue in cheek - I'm very aware of the need to spread the word that tidy is not always good. The grass mown today is feed for the winter. All grown without fertilser, but with equally organic muck. Not all our fields are meadows and pastures. We're fortunate to have wood pastures, wetland and ancient wood and a 2 acre pond.

Click here to read more about "Nature Friendly Farming".

NFFN

DEBSC replied on 20/05/2024 09:34

Posted on 20/05/2024 09:34

Two weeks now of on and off, mostly on, gardening. It’s now looking ok. Most of the newly purchased plants put out. Yesterday OH cut the grass in the back, it’s the only thing he will do as he hates gardening, it’s amazing how once the grass is cut it suddenly looks so much better. The bank at the back of the garden is becoming a bit of a problem as I try to negotiate getting back down it, I may have to think about getting some help there next year, but have put in some ground cover for now. A whole green bin full of finished bluebell foliage, that always makes it look tidier. Beautiful weather here, wall to wall sunshine, such a change. I’ve put weed and feed on the front lawn so thursdays forecast of rain won’t be unwelcome from me as the hose won’t reach that far. It was so lovely that we sat out last evening to eat our evening meal, rather than the dining room. 

Our new neighbours seem very pleasant, including their dog, the previous ones were also nice but I can’t say that I’m sorry that the 4 cats have gone, my garden already looks better without them and now all the fledgling birds at least stand a chance.

Our granddaughter who just passed her driving test has just phoned to ask if she and her boyfriend can come over for lunch as they both have the day off work. Lovely that she can get over more often now that she can drive. Lunch in the now tidy garden then.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook