What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

Bakers2 replied on 23/01/2022 17:47

Posted on 23/01/2022 17:39 by Takethedogalong

I went through a period of stress and not being able to sleep. Like others, tried all sorts, but finally dropped on something that worked for me. I listen to talking books as soon as I turn off the light. Just one bud of some small earphones in the ear I am not resting on, and it’s enough to dispel any other thoughts, and lull me to sleep. Doesn’t stop me hearing things, but stops the mind dwelling on things that it shouldn’t. OH has timed me, and from closing eyes to “fast on” can be less than a minute….Bliss. 

Posted on 23/01/2022 17:47

I use exactly the same method, don't always use an earphone as OH likes some 'white noise' too, we have a Bluetooth speaker in between our pillows.

I must sort out some new books, but I also use bbc sounds app, and have nature broadcasts, open country, ramblings etc. They go back several years, so lots of nights listening and very gentle each episode runs on to give continual listening. Its amazing how much you retain, I'm amazed at random quiz answers that appear from nowhere! I do have some comedies but they keep you alert so defeat the object.

Takethedogalong replied on 23/01/2022 18:00

Posted on 23/01/2022 18:00

I used to listen to the World Service on Radio 4, but some of the topics, particularly from Africa,  were so horrific, I couldn’t listen. I like unabridged, very long books, certainly at least 8 hours to get me through a night. I have a few listening gadgets, but to all my books are on IPhone and IPad now, so it’s easy. My OH could hear my underpillow speaker, so I don’t use it much. 
Has to be interesting, but not riveting, otherwise that keeps me awake🤣

DEBSC replied on 23/01/2022 18:41

Posted on 23/01/2022 17:39 by Takethedogalong

I went through a period of stress and not being able to sleep. Like others, tried all sorts, but finally dropped on something that worked for me. I listen to talking books as soon as I turn off the light. Just one bud of some small earphones in the ear I am not resting on, and it’s enough to dispel any other thoughts, and lull me to sleep. Doesn’t stop me hearing things, but stops the mind dwelling on things that it shouldn’t. OH has timed me, and from closing eyes to “fast on” can be less than a minute….Bliss. 

Posted on 23/01/2022 18:41

If I am going to sleep at all it’s not getting to sleep at first, it’s waking up after the first hour or so, my brain seems to believe that’s enough and I’m awake and sorting out the worlds problems, or not. Regularly then awake for 4 or 5 hours. Have tried music, books, all to no avail. A Dr, long ago, suggested a hot toddy, milk and brandy does sometimes help. I always read for a while in bed, always a paper book never a kindle due to the screen. Never ever allow myself a nap in the day and don’t really seem to need that. I think that it may actually be hereditary. 

Bakers2 replied on 23/01/2022 19:03

Posted on 23/01/2022 19:03

DEBSC yes if I'm going to be wakeful it will be after an hour or two of sleep. Often falling back to sleep when  it's time to get up.

Why do we feel we should solve the world's problems?

I suspect you're right it could be hereditary- mine isn't! Look how little sleep some folk manage on with high flying jobs, it's just personal I suppose. I'd be a hibernate given a choice

Like Takethedogalong I liked the World Service, but if I awoke when a quiz was on..... I can still remember dreaming about Russian gas pipes years ago obviously listening and dreaming . The news bulletins are very frequent and whilst the factual documentaries are very good they are not conducive to restful sleep - more problems to solve!

Just enjoyed a very nice roast chicken dinner with the last of the 'emergency' Christmas trimmings from the freezer.  That's another contemplateable issue, running it down and keeping supplies for however long. I will probably have to start doing my own shopping rather than having deliveries because of the minimum spend, I can't keep adding stock cupboard items to make it up. 

brue replied on 23/01/2022 19:08

Posted on 23/01/2022 19:08

It's interesting reading about help with sleep. After an illness I found I was waking at 3am and got worried that I just couldn't sleep. This got worse to the point that I was worried about it before I even went to bed. My Mum, who was good at practical thinking suggested lying down for a rest in the afternoon this gradually led to an afternoon "switch off" sleep and then my brain seemed to gradually re-set itself. Luckily I was at home at the time so could try this out. Sorry to hear what it's like for others, we all need a restful sleep!

My Mum's practicality didn't stretch to switching her radio off when staying with us and keeping us all awake whilst she slept! wink

ABM replied on 23/01/2022 21:44

Posted on 23/01/2022 21:44

Never understood folk being unable to sleep like you lot on 'ere !  Having done the best part of thirty (30) years on call with BT I could, and still do , drop off to sleep halfway thro the News Headlines unless very interesting !!

DK,  it would be a close run thing between me and your gorgeous moggies as to who/which of us can get more hours of zzzz's in a day  wink

SeasideBill replied on 23/01/2022 23:12

Posted on 23/01/2022 19:08 by brue

It's interesting reading about help with sleep. After an illness I found I was waking at 3am and got worried that I just couldn't sleep. This got worse to the point that I was worried about it before I even went to bed. My Mum, who was good at practical thinking suggested lying down for a rest in the afternoon this gradually led to an afternoon "switch off" sleep and then my brain seemed to gradually re-set itself. Luckily I was at home at the time so could try this out. Sorry to hear what it's like for others, we all need a restful sleep!

My Mum's practicality didn't stretch to switching her radio off when staying with us and keeping us all awake whilst she slept! wink

Posted on 23/01/2022 23:12

You and other sufferers have my sympathy Brue. I’ve had similar episodes in the past. As you say anxiety about not sleeping feeds of itself and becomes a vicious cycle. At its worse I’ve gone 3 days without a wink of sleep and you begin to understand how effective sleep deprivation is as an instrument of torture. I find white noise useful to block out other sounds when necessary.

Takethedogalong replied on 23/01/2022 23:26

Posted on 23/01/2022 23:26

It’s interesting using something like a Fitbit Watch that analyses your sleep patterns. Shows the different phases such as deep, light, rapid eye movement, awake.  OH says mine needs an asleep but walking mode as well😯

DSB replied on 24/01/2022 02:17

Posted on 23/01/2022 23:26 by Takethedogalong

It’s interesting using something like a Fitbit Watch that analyses your sleep patterns. Shows the different phases such as deep, light, rapid eye movement, awake.  OH says mine needs an asleep but walking mode as well😯

Posted on 24/01/2022 02:17

My pattern of sleep is, at best, inconsistent and 'unpredictable.  I rarely get to bed before 1am, but it's sometimes a question of sleeping at the wrong time and in the wrong place.  I've been asleep in the chair for a couple of hours tonight and have just woke up (2am).....

My Fitbit analysis of sleep pattern usually comes out as Fair or Good - usually a score in the 70's.  Very occasionally I get an Excellent or Poor.

Now I've woken, I'll go to bed and watch TV on the phone (with earbuds).  I'll eventually fall to sleep and probably won't last out the 'first programme!!  😀😀

David

richardandros replied on 24/01/2022 04:50

Posted on 24/01/2022 04:50

I'm another one who has trouble sleeping - or rather, sleeping at the wrong time! I go to bed early - even more so of late as my leg tends to get more and more swollen and painful as the day goes on - but then I'm usually awake about 4 am.  Can't be doing with lounging about in bed, so get up to make a cuppa and browse the 'net - read the papers etc, on this computer.  It becomes a bit of a vicious circle.

In summer, I see what I consider to be the best part of the day - but can't say the same at this time of the year.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook