What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

nelliethehooker replied on 28/04/2024 20:33

Posted on 28/04/2024 20:33

We have thankfully not had to have any really urgent  treatment from our local NHS but anything  that I, in particular, have needed to be investigated  or operated on has been carried out at a time that has suited myself and done in a first class manner, so no complaints from this end.

We have had more good weather over the last couple of days, with just the odd very short shower, although  it is still rather chilly out of the sun. We have done a couple of walks in the vicinity of Killin, and have never seen both club sites and the town so quiet, with the main street nearly deserted. Today's walk was by the Loch, and up to the ruins of Finlarig Castle. There is not much there in reality, but interestingly it has a Beheading Pit and a Hanging Tree. One obviously didn't want to cross the Clan Campbell!!

Takethedogalong replied on 29/04/2024 00:24

Posted on 28/04/2024 16:18 by eurortraveller

But I disagree with that outburst from Ttda about the NHS failing. Not here it isn’t 

Within this one family in the two years one has had  urgent treatment for a malignant melanoma which could have been a killer, and has had regular very thorough follow up checks. A 25 year old was rushed  to intensive care for sudden onset  diabetes,. two older ones have been cared for after strokes, and two cataract operations were done promptly without fuss, My daughter had life saving neuro surgery at midnight for a bleed in her spinal column. my wife had pulmonary embolism sorted out after an in patient stay and the  NHS has just given me hearing aids valued at £1200. 

Those who moan and complain should stop. 

Posted on 29/04/2024 00:24

I didn’t say it was failing, I merely outlined how it wasn’t being given the future proofing, funding and consistent management that it requires. That is borne out by reports and research like the article I linked to as one example. Hardly an outburst, I tried for a measured few paragraphs.

I have nothing but praise for those who work within the NHS, and given all the difficulties, continue to care for others in many different ways. Experiences will vary up and down the UK, and according to requirements. 

milliehull replied on 29/04/2024 08:45

Posted on 28/04/2024 20:33 by nelliethehooker

We have thankfully not had to have any really urgent  treatment from our local NHS but anything  that I, in particular, have needed to be investigated  or operated on has been carried out at a time that has suited myself and done in a first class manner, so no complaints from this end.

We have had more good weather over the last couple of days, with just the odd very short shower, although  it is still rather chilly out of the sun. We have done a couple of walks in the vicinity of Killin, and have never seen both club sites and the town so quiet, with the main street nearly deserted. Today's walk was by the Loch, and up to the ruins of Finlarig Castle. There is not much there in reality, but interestingly it has a Beheading Pit and a Hanging Tree. One obviously didn't want to cross the Clan Campbell!!

Posted on 29/04/2024 08:45

We have no complaints either nellie about the planned ops and in patient stays in hospital. They have all been excellent for OH recently. It is the emergency admissions and A&E where the problems lie, well in our area anyway. I have to say that our GP surgery have been excellent to both OH and I when we have needed them recently. We are very lucky. I am pleased that eurotraveller and his family have had such good treatment from the NHS but there are a number of people who are waiting a very long time for things like hip and knee operations. I do agree with tda's well put comments about the NHS needing future proofing and consistent sound management so that all areas are well cared for. I love our NHS and want it to continue and to care for everyone who needs it.

Takethedogalong replied on 29/04/2024 10:12

Posted on 29/04/2024 10:12

I love our NHS and want it to continue and to care for everyone who needs it.

Same here Millie👍

DavidKlyne replied on 29/04/2024 16:00

Posted on 29/04/2024 16:00

Our local hospital has a list of average waiting times online for various types of surgery. If you want a new knee the wait is 53 weeks and a new hip 63 weeks. As they both count as "elective" surgery they don't get the same priority as more serious surgery which is understandable. 

David

Rufs replied on 29/04/2024 16:30

Posted on 29/04/2024 16:00 by DavidKlyne

Our local hospital has a list of average waiting times online for various types of surgery. If you want a new knee the wait is 53 weeks and a new hip 63 weeks. As they both count as "elective" surgery they don't get the same priority as more serious surgery which is understandable. 

David

Posted on 29/04/2024 16:30

Not sure i agree in total with this, i have had both knees, both done within 12 weeks of seeing the consultant, but for my right knee, by the time 12 weeks was up i was on crutches/wheelchair the pain was so excrutiating and i was eating Tramodol tablets like there was no tomorrow, so having to wait 53 weeks would not have been an option i would have mortgaged the house to go private.

what a great day sun has shone since 0530 hrs and is still shining, people out in vest tops and tee shirts, but dont get too excited it is going to rain on Wednesday coolsurprisedjust putting final items in caravan before the off on Thursday, Cornwall here we come Britstaycation

Tinwheeler replied on 29/04/2024 17:03

Posted on 29/04/2024 17:03

I’m getting the impression that some folk are recounting their experiences of the NHS in years gone by rather than the situation as it is now.

Granted, the situation varies across the various trusts but, in general, I don’t think TDA is far off the mark with her comments. There is much room for improvement.

DavidKlyne replied on 29/04/2024 17:25

Posted on 29/04/2024 16:30 by Rufs

Not sure i agree in total with this, i have had both knees, both done within 12 weeks of seeing the consultant, but for my right knee, by the time 12 weeks was up i was on crutches/wheelchair the pain was so excrutiating and i was eating Tramodol tablets like there was no tomorrow, so having to wait 53 weeks would not have been an option i would have mortgaged the house to go private.

what a great day sun has shone since 0530 hrs and is still shining, people out in vest tops and tee shirts, but dont get too excited it is going to rain on Wednesday coolsurprisedjust putting final items in caravan before the off on Thursday, Cornwall here we come Britstaycation

Posted on 29/04/2024 17:25

Rufs

I can only go by the official published lists. Obviously I don't know if there is room within those times to move people up the list if they are in a particularly bad situation. One of my former colleagues, when told it would be over a year before she got her knee replacement she immediately said she would pay to have it done privately. When I had my hip replaced in 2010 it was three months between first seeing the consultant and the operation. But of course when I had that done it was at the end of a period of massive investment in the NHS. In fairness perhaps I should also add that MK has grown exponentially over the years and is now about the same size as Southampton in terms of population, even more if you take the out lying areas. Add into that all the people that now need these operations came to MK as young people its a sort of reverse baby boomer syndrome? 

David

Cornersteady replied on 29/04/2024 17:42

Posted on 29/04/2024 17:42

My own experience is that if it's deemed urgent then you'll be seen in very quick time, once it's deemed not then the waiting times might be a few months which is fair enough and no complaints there. My eye operation was a six months wait and was in effect cosmetic/corrective rather than actually medically needed although it was deemed necessary for my job. 

But as an example I need an ultrasound scan on my lower abdomen which is not deemed to be anything serious at all but the date has come through and it's late August, I'm in no real discomfort and could easily wait. However my travel insurance renewal is due before that and I know they won't renew while waiting so I've opted to go for a private scan for £130 in May. 

Post edit the very local Spire private hospital wanted £370!

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook