2023 Six Nations

nelliethehooker replied on 01/02/2023 21:39

Posted on 01/02/2023 21:39

Amid lots of controversy the championship starts on this weekend. Will Ireland live up to their World No.1 position or will it be France again? What are England's chances under their new coach Steve Borthwick, another series of "what might have been"? Can Warren Gatland inspire the Welsh player again to perform above expectations? Can Scotland at last deliver? Lots of questions to answered over the next few weeks....looking forward to them being answered.

ABM replied on 01/02/2023 22:21

Posted on 01/02/2023 22:21

I'm waiting to see these big strong players tackling each other at knee height !!

I know that head injuries are the main subject of discussion nowadays, but no tackling above the waist does seem a tad restrictive to my way of thinking !

That apart I will get myself a heavy duty cushion for the settee ~~ the first and most important subject chez ABM !!

ABM replied on 04/02/2023 23:07

Posted on 04/02/2023 23:07

Needed a second cushion for todays match  ~~ A b-i-g one I could hide behind  ~~  got a bit of a tanking from those rascally Scots this time !!

nelliethehooker replied on 05/02/2023 21:47

Posted on 05/02/2023 21:47

Great game yesterday even if the "wrong" side won, and what a cracking try!!

I see the favourites only just managed to beat England's next opponents. We might find out if they have improved under Bothwick or are the same as last season on Saturday.

Extugger replied on 05/02/2023 22:31

Posted on 05/02/2023 22:31

Same old problems at Twickers - I thought Borthwick would at least have had the sense to drop the Captain, whose post match speech was exactly the same as the previous ones. Under his ‘leadership’ they have learnt nothing and still remain directionless!!

How refreshing to see an exciting Italian talent at 15. He lit up the Stadium and I believe he could cause many a problem for opponents to come. He’ll probably score 3 tries in the next fixture on his own.

For me, the Welsh are now the weakest side in the competition and Mr Gatland really has his work cut out.

nelliethehooker replied on 11/02/2023 21:52

Posted on 11/02/2023 21:52

Two cracking games of attacking rugby today, with worthy winners. 😀 Wonder if England's "new" midfield trip can work some magic tomorrow and provide a better showing than last week, or could we end up with them and Wales fighting it out for the Wooden Spoon?

Extugger replied on 12/02/2023 07:03

Posted on 12/02/2023 07:03

What a treat! Ireland/France first 40 minutes probably the best rugby seen for decades! Absolutely superb. Scotland/Wales a good watch too and well done to Mr Gatland for fielding his youngsters in the scrum - all part of a rebuilding excercise. 

Nellie, I fear the latter may be true!

Fisherman replied on 12/02/2023 08:32

Posted on 12/02/2023 08:32

JPR was asked if the golden team would beat the current Welsh side. Yes by  5 points. Only 5 points the interviewer asked. Well yes, we are all now in our70;s was the  reply

MikeyA replied on 12/02/2023 09:04

Posted on 12/02/2023 07:03 by Extugger

What a treat! Ireland/France first 40 minutes probably the best rugby seen for decades! Absolutely superb. Scotland/Wales a good watch too and well done to Mr Gatland for fielding his youngsters in the scrum - all part of a rebuilding excercise. 

Nellie, I fear the latter may be true!

Posted on 12/02/2023 09:04

You missed out the word "Union" after "rugby".

Not surprising it was a good game when you get the likes of Farrell and Edwards involved.

nelliethehooker replied on 12/02/2023 21:43

Posted on 12/02/2023 21:43

A much better performance by England today, especially considering how well Italy played last weekend. It will be interesting now to see if they can go even better against Wales in two week's time. 

Micky, another of the "clan" as defensive coach for England, will his acumen prove to be the tonic the side needs?

mickysf replied on 14/02/2023 14:31

Posted on 12/02/2023 21:43 by nelliethehooker

A much better performance by England today, especially considering how well Italy played last weekend. It will be interesting now to see if they can go even better against Wales in two week's time. 

Micky, another of the "clan" as defensive coach for England, will his acumen prove to be the tonic the side needs?

Posted on 14/02/2023 14:31

It’s a difficult one to answer, Nellie. I think Borthwick is absolutely right about picking the team and tactics according to the opposition’s preserved strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes that Rugby League acumen will have the desired effect but on other occasions it may be an issue, an undoing. 
I was a little concerned that the kicking game may undo England on Saturday, they started off targeting the diminutive Capuozzi but then changed that in favour of territory after the young Italian took a few high balls and made more yardage than all players on the pitch during the course of the game. He was arguably the most creative back on the park. Rugby may still be a game for all sorts, it’s just a means of finding the right ones and right tactics for the day. Sometime this may lead to boring displays though.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook