F1 2018

Extugger replied on 21/03/2018 16:07

Posted on 21/03/2018 16:07

With the opening race in Australia this weekend, anyone have any thoughts for this year, or is it going to be another boring procession, like last year?

cyberyacht replied on 02/10/2018 10:12

Posted on 02/10/2018 10:12

It may lose a substantial section of its fanbase when it goes completely over to subscription viewing. I';m preparing mentally to switch to BTCC next year.

bill replied on 02/10/2018 10:42

Posted on 02/10/2018 10:42

It's a boring, boring procession these days and certainly not good for the spectators.  If it wasn't for Max Verstappen it wouldn't be worth watching at all and even he backed off in the last few laps to save his engine.

I disagree with team orders and any other control from the pit lane including strategy calls, pit stops, turning engine power up and down etc. etc.

Would rather they went out with a set of tyres and a full tank and raced.  If they can't make tyres to last more than 25 laps have 2 races in the day.

Don't attend anymore and thankful for being able to record and fast forward the majority of the race.  Even the multitude of Channel 4 commentators are struggling for what to say that is constructive.

As an ex motorcyclist still get interested in Moto GP where often you wouldn't bet on the winner in the last 5 laps !

Oneputt replied on 06/10/2018 08:09

Posted on 06/10/2018 08:09

Once again Ferrari screw up the strategy, that’s 3 out of the last 4 races that the team have managed to get it wrong. Vettel is going to be very unhappy.  Baring a miracle I think Hamilton will be WDC and Mercedes will be constructors.

cyberyacht replied on 06/10/2018 12:23

Posted on 06/10/2018 12:23

One only needs an over-exuberant Verstappen to change 25 points to zero. It ain't over till the fat lady sings although I doubt bookies will give you much in the way of odds.

DavidKlyne replied on 07/10/2018 15:07

Posted on 06/10/2018 12:23 by cyberyacht

One only needs an over-exuberant Verstappen to change 25 points to zero. It ain't over till the fat lady sings although I doubt bookies will give you much in the way of odds.

Posted on 07/10/2018 15:07

See, you weren't far out CY!!!! Mind you I don't think Max can be blamed for the Vettel incident and the clash with Kimi he was 50/50 and Max potentially lost out on second place as a result of the 5 second penalty? Just doesn't seem to be Vettel's year!

David

Oneputt replied on 07/10/2018 17:30

Posted on 07/10/2018 17:30

Personally I think Verstappen was totally to blame for the incident with Kimi and he was given a penalty for returning unsafely to the track.  I think Seb was right to go for the pass as he really needed to make progress to try and catch Hamilton.  The problem for Vettel is IMO that Ferrari, due to both qualifying and racing strategy making it more difficult for Vettel to progress.  It was good to see that Ferrari didn’t play the team order game by swooping Kimi and Seb.

DavidKlyne replied on 07/10/2018 20:57

Posted on 07/10/2018 20:57

Sorry Oneputt but I don't think it was as straightforward as that. Max had gone off track so reentering the circuit was never going to be easy I am not sure where else he was going to go?  I appreciate at the speed they were going its difficult to make split second moves but if Kimi was aware of the situation he needed to be a bit more cautious. I also don't think Farrari could have have used team orders as Vettel was so far behind Kimi would have almost had to come to a standstill to let him pass. I wonder if now it is all a bit academic. Things are going to have to go desperately wrong for Mercedes  for Lewis not to claim the Drivers Championship. 

David

cyberyacht replied on 22/10/2018 07:57

Posted on 22/10/2018 07:57

What appeared to be a slam dunk wasn't. It did at least add a bit of tension to an otherwise rather boring race.

DavidKlyne replied on 22/10/2018 12:16

Posted on 22/10/2018 12:16

I wonder if Ferrari are regretting letting Kimi go? Perhaps they feel that Seb hasn't got another Championship in him and want a young gun to take over?

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook