F1 2018

Extugger replied on 21/03/2018 16:07

Posted on 21/03/2018 16:07

With the opening race in Australia this weekend, anyone have any thoughts for this year, or is it going to be another boring procession, like last year?

Extugger replied on 03/09/2018 12:19

Posted on 03/09/2018 12:19

Absolutely One, in Qualies that the best-ever F1 time changed hands 3 times within 10 seconds, first Hamilton, Vettel and then Raikkonen all three setting fastest ever laps, in times which you and I cannot measure!

Maybe Ferrari need to adopt Mercedes' tactics as deployed later in the race - Bottas backing-up Raikkonen into team mate Hamilton?

I was utterly surprised at how easily Raikkonen drove past Hamilton on the first lap to regain first place! Had it been Vettel it would probably have been a dream result for the 'tifosi'

Extugger replied on 11/09/2018 12:06

Posted on 21/08/2018 09:15 by Extugger

So, Alonso and Riccardo to be replaced by Sainz and Gasly respectively, at the end of the season. My money is on LeClerc for a 'big named seat' in the not too distant.

Posted on 11/09/2018 12:06

So it's been confirmed, Raikkonen off to Sauber and LeClerc to Ferrari at end of season! Not sure Mercedes will enjoy hearing that news?!! (I'm just polishing my crystal ball) Not a major surprise if I'm honest 😀

Oneputt replied on 11/09/2018 13:08

Posted on 11/09/2018 13:08

Both good moves I think.  Kimmi's experience will undoubtedly help Sauber and LeClerc will probably push Vettel. 

viatorem replied on 01/10/2018 10:07

Posted on 01/10/2018 10:07

For Mercedes = good, it gives their driver the best chance of the championship (follow the money) Decisive management from Toto which after all is what he's paid for.

For the drivers, generally disappointment.  Valteri had a rare chance to win denied and Lewis felt he hadn't won. So  = bad

For racing we were maybe denied a mercedes battle, who knows what might have happened there. = bad

So it depends from what perspective you view this as a Lewis fan, Seb fan, Valteri fan, or racing fan.

I would have liked to have seen them race, on balance in this case team orders were for me bad.

DavidKlyne replied on 01/10/2018 10:57

Posted on 01/10/2018 10:57

I think there comes a time in the season where team orders have a place. Valteri was perfectly candid in an after race interview that he was not in the running for the World Championship and so from that prospective there is a need to play the team game. It would happen in any team. I suppose it depends what the priority of the race fans are. team/driver/racing. I sensed that even Lewis wasn't particularly happy with winning a race in such circumstances. The team could let them battle it out but an accident could take both cars off the track which would affect both championships. Probably dammed if you do and dammed if you don't?

David

Oneputt replied on 01/10/2018 18:02

Posted on 01/10/2018 18:02

Personally I would like team orders, car radios, artificial overtaking aids and blue flags banned.  Car areo redesigned to allow another car to follow closely and overtake, we might get away for a processions 

Extugger replied on 01/10/2018 20:28

Posted on 01/10/2018 20:28

To answer Cyber's question. Most definitely bad, especially for the racing fan.

For me there's too much involvement from the pit lane, too much electrickery, too much interfering in general. Granted there needs to be progress but soon it won't be necessary for a driver! It's all leading to a very tedious and boring pastime. Team orders may be necessary to win a championship but at the expense of racing?Surely it devalues F1 and certainly the efforts of Bottas?

DavidKlyne replied on 02/10/2018 09:44

Posted on 02/10/2018 09:44

F1 has long moved away from being a gentleman's sport where a few rich people could indulge their passion for motorsport. It has morphed into a massive business employing thousands of highly qualified people whose livelihoods depend on the team getting the maximum results come what may. So I don't think it's going to change any time soon. Formula E is an interesting occasional watch.

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook