What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

RedKite replied on 23/10/2019 15:16

Posted on 23/10/2019 15:16

Good photos Brue sorry not sure what the mushrooms are and in the same theme we stayed at a site near Limoges last night for 1 night on our way to UK and met a french man on site getting the largest mushrooms we have seen a least as big as a dinner plate he did tell us the name and offer us one but we declined he had about 10 in the back of his van and said they were local to the area.

Good photo of the kingfisher greylag the owner of the site we are on at the moment has tried to get a photo of one as it keeps coming to their duck pond but to quick fer her.

Did see about 30 cattle egrets in a field plus 2 great egrets and 3 herons in a different field whilst travelling to the campsite through the Brenne to Obterre.

Wherenext replied on 23/10/2019 19:26

Posted on 23/10/2019 19:26

Continuing the fungi theme we came across a new one yesterday. A Birds Nest Mushroom. About as big, or small, as a thumbnail. Round with 3 "eggs" inside. This at Lackford Lakes where we were treated to a beautiful Kingfisher for quite a while and a very belligerent looking Green Woodpecker amongst others. Even saw a Cetti's Warbler as it went about its secretive life among the bottom of the sedge.

Bluemalaga replied on 27/10/2019 16:25

Posted on 27/10/2019 16:25

I thought you might like to meet a bird that has adopted our garden as home. For obvious reasons, he/she is referred to as Scrag End.

I assume this is a Blue Tit but no idea what has happened to it. It is very very active, great appetite and spends all day flitting around our garden,  which makes it very hard to get a decent photo, but it has had it rough. Really hope it survives.
Just managed to get a grab a couple of shots through the double glazing.
Any idea why it is so blue?

Oneputt replied on 27/10/2019 16:43

Posted on 27/10/2019 16:25 by Bluemalaga

I thought you might like to meet a bird that has adopted our garden as home. For obvious reasons, he/she is referred to as Scrag End.

I assume this is a Blue Tit but no idea what has happened to it. It is very very active, great appetite and spends all day flitting around our garden,  which makes it very hard to get a decent photo, but it has had it rough. Really hope it survives.
Just managed to get a grab a couple of shots through the double glazing.
Any idea why it is so blue?

Posted on 27/10/2019 16:43

Great shots once again BL.  Guessing Scrag End is practising for Halloween

Bluemalaga replied on 27/10/2019 16:58

Posted on 27/10/2019 16:43 by Oneputt

Great shots once again BL.  Guessing Scrag End is practising for Halloween

Posted on 27/10/2019 16:58

Thanks OP.

Scrag has been around for a few weeks and I was hoping that it was just a case of moulting and the feathers would change to normal as they grew, but I have never seen one like this before and it looks quite sore around the neck region.

Wherenext replied on 27/10/2019 18:01

Posted on 27/10/2019 18:01

Try reposting it on the RSPB thread and see if you get a response.

Edit - Looks to me like a really late chick.

brue replied on 27/10/2019 18:09

Posted on 27/10/2019 18:09

We see them like that, definitely a moult but it's getting a bit late and cold. We've had a Great Tit with a huge tick on it's body, don't know whether it has survived but it didn't seem to bother him or her.

Try putting in moulting blue tits on the web and you'll see similar. Hope yours will be ok.

Bluemalaga replied on 27/10/2019 18:54

Posted on 27/10/2019 18:09 by brue

We see them like that, definitely a moult but it's getting a bit late and cold. We've had a Great Tit with a huge tick on it's body, don't know whether it has survived but it didn't seem to bother him or her.

Try putting in moulting blue tits on the web and you'll see similar. Hope yours will be ok.

Posted on 27/10/2019 18:54

Thanks for the info Brue. Ours looks a lot healthier than some of those.

cyberyacht replied on 30/10/2019 17:46

Posted on 30/10/2019 17:46

After a month away on the QM2 to NY & Quebec, I was disappointed to not see a single whale, considering we traversed the Nantucket area, Grand Banks and the St Lawrence. A definite contrast to last years trip to Greenland where we saw loads. The only wildlife highlight was a quick glimpse of a chipmunk.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook