What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

RedKite replied on 30/10/2019 18:43

Posted on 30/10/2019 18:43

On our trip towards Cherbourg yesterday in Lower Nomandy I saw 6 Great Egrets in a field and no water about.

Now at Burford site and the most things flying are military A400's but going to Cotswold Wildlife Park  tomorrow so a lot of animals but not really wild shall look around the area in the next few days whilst here.

brue replied on 30/10/2019 18:46

Posted on 30/10/2019 18:46

CY. I was going to make a quip about Chipmunks in the sea, I looked them up and found they could swim...wink

My land based trips to Canada have produced lots of bird sightings, plus chipmunks, racoons and a solitary groundhog.

Hope you enjoyed your trip, it sounds like a busy itinerary!

RedKite replied on 06/11/2019 14:44

Posted on 06/11/2019 14:44

On Cirencester club site this week  and surprised to see the ring necked parakeets flying around the site did not realise that they had spread this far, personally not keen on them as they are very noisy  and have been at the brid feeders some folk have put out.

Off to Slimbridge on Friday nearly three years since we have been.

Wherenext replied on 06/11/2019 21:20

Posted on 06/11/2019 21:20

That's one bird that I hope doesn't spread northwards. Noisy little blighters and they scare the little birds off.

Enjoy your day at Slimbridge RK.

Bluemalaga replied on 07/11/2019 21:40

Posted on 06/11/2019 14:44 by RedKite

On Cirencester club site this week  and surprised to see the ring necked parakeets flying around the site did not realise that they had spread this far, personally not keen on them as they are very noisy  and have been at the brid feeders some folk have put out.

Off to Slimbridge on Friday nearly three years since we have been.

Posted on 07/11/2019 21:40

Hi Red Kite.

Took a quick trip there this afternoon as the sun was shining.

There are only a few Bewicks so far, but should be a few more by next week. The Discovery Hide on South Lake is probably the most populated at present with Godwitts, knott, etc but not the best for photos unless early morning or an overcast day as the light is in the wrong direction. The new hide that replaces the old Holden hide is due to be opened 15/16th Nov if you are still in the area by then. The non-resident (wild) birds are spending a lot of time either asleep or on the estuary this week, but from mid afternoon they flood in for feeding at 4.00pm outside the Rushy Pen, where I spend most of my visits.

There has been considerable change this year but not all developments have been completed, so I guess you will see quite a change.

Each time I have been lately, there has been a large increase in numbers, so hopefully you will have a good visit.

RedKite replied on 08/11/2019 19:17

Posted on 08/11/2019 19:17

Thanks BM not a lot about we were later getting there due to other issues but enjoyed the trip did ask a few folk and said a quiet day due to the very strong cold wind from the north and did see a few Berwick swans and as you said a lot of changes and work being done, if I had been on my own would have stayed longer but OH only manages a short time there also not a member but did get discount for him.

Visiting Steart next month as visiting an old friends and they only live about half a mile from Steart so will combine the visit and a long time since I have been in that area, also hope to get down to the levels as well.

Bluemalaga replied on 08/11/2019 20:10

Posted on 08/11/2019 19:17 by RedKite

Thanks BM not a lot about we were later getting there due to other issues but enjoyed the trip did ask a few folk and said a quiet day due to the very strong cold wind from the north and did see a few Berwick swans and as you said a lot of changes and work being done, if I had been on my own would have stayed longer but OH only manages a short time there also not a member but did get discount for him.

Visiting Steart next month as visiting an old friends and they only live about half a mile from Steart so will combine the visit and a long time since I have been in that area, also hope to get down to the levels as well.

Posted on 08/11/2019 20:10

‘Tis a bit hit or miss at the moment with all the work going on and the winter birds not all here yet.

Speaking to a regular visitor to Steart told me the SEO  has arrived, if you pass the car park and head towards the beach, you will come across a rise in the road with a bit of a bend, about half way to the beach, you will probably see a few cars parked. This is the usual place to get the best view of the Owls mid afternoon. 

RedKite replied on 09/11/2019 10:52

Posted on 09/11/2019 10:52

Thanks for the info BM. Just hope the weather improves a bit now heavy rain at Cirencester off to Broadway on Sunday to catch up with friends. Did see two Magpies here chasing the Parakeets about.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook