What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

nelliethehooker replied on 16/03/2020 20:44

Posted on 16/03/2020 20:44

Good day down by Rutland Water. Great Crested Grebe, Grey Herons, Great White Egret, Red Kite, Buzzards being seen off by a couple of Crows, and to cap it all a pair of Ospreys at their best, and a third on another tree along with a number of Cormorants.

brue replied on 17/03/2020 19:11

Posted on 17/03/2020 19:11

Like other wild life associations our local Somerset Wildlife Trust are acting on gov. advice about meetings and visits etc. But they're setting up a page like this one, to let others hear and see what you've seen, but this will be from closer to home at the moment. Nice idea to keep everyone in touch. smile

Wherenext replied on 17/03/2020 22:51

Posted on 17/03/2020 22:51

Had a stroll along Millers Dale in Peak District today. Nice and quiet so plenty of wildlife around.

Dippers and Grey Wagtails and Mandarin Ducks on the river plus a lovely Water Vole on the bank who scuttled off when he saw us into the river and into a pile of twigs. Then 2 frogs who decided not to bother moving out of the way on the foothpath and finally 2 Sparrowhawks having a " mid-air cuddle" which a polite way of putting it.embarassed A lovely stroll.

ABM replied on 18/03/2020 12:13

Posted on 18/03/2020 12:13

Nature is truly red in tooth and claw surprised

Coming back from Pharmacy this morning, I paused and refilled all the bird feeders, emptied the bird baths and put them to drain. Came indoors & washed my hands properly ( innocent )  Looked out of the window whilst drying them and BOOBOOM saw a sparrowhawk take down a male blackbird, glared at me then flew  away to its favoured local eating point.

Could have waited until I was back in the old arm chair frown

SteveL replied on 20/03/2020 09:13

Posted on 20/03/2020 09:13

Our walk yesterday took us alongside the River Ure. There are still several large lakes left on the narrow floodplain, which can't drain back. These are proving a haven for waterfowl. Apart from the standard Mallards and Greylag and an odd Canada Goose there were 50 + Oystercatchers. Not seen these inland before, although my bird app informs me that they are increasingly found inland on marshland and wet grassland, as besides molluscs they are very partial to worms. They were certainly very vocal, as it also advises.😀 

JVB66 replied on 20/03/2020 09:22

Posted on 20/03/2020 09:22

While waiting outside the chemist yesterday , two of our local Kite population were circulating over the local primary school, , a woman asked what they were    , when she was told    , she was hoping that the school were aware , and if they had any way of keeping the little ones safesurprised

RedKite replied on 20/03/2020 09:25

Posted on 20/03/2020 09:25

Yesterday I saw in the garden a swallowtail and Common Blue butterflies a bit early even for down here but was very warm and today whilst putting the washing out a male Hen Harrier flew over not seen one around here before so possibly migrating north but a lovely sight.

We do see Cormorants flying along the river Lot and sometimes the river Cele they seemed to have moved a lot more into country areas rather than coastal.

Good spot with the Oystercatchers  SteveL.

SteveL replied on 20/03/2020 14:56

Posted on 20/03/2020 14:56

We do see Cormorants flying along the river Lot and sometimes the river Cele they seemed to have moved a lot more into country areas rather than coastal.

Yes, there are often 4 in Clumber Park and we are miles from the sea. They sit at the top of a couple of dead trees, wings spread in the sun.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook