What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Wherenext replied on 20/03/2020 19:41

Posted on 20/03/2020 09:13 by SteveL

Our walk yesterday took us alongside the River Ure. There are still several large lakes left on the narrow floodplain, which can't drain back. These are proving a haven for waterfowl. Apart from the standard Mallards and Greylag and an odd Canada Goose there were 50 + Oystercatchers. Not seen these inland before, although my bird app informs me that they are increasingly found inland on marshland and wet grassland, as besides molluscs they are very partial to worms. They were certainly very vocal, as it also advises.😀 

Posted on 20/03/2020 19:41

We've seen them quite a long way inland in mating season, particularly in Scotland. Quite surprised me the first time.

It's a bit like coming across Curlews and Redshanks that breed inland.

RedKite replied on 20/03/2020 20:10

Posted on 20/03/2020 20:10

Had 6 Red Kites fly over then about 2 hours later 1 Black Kite so a good day for birds of prey even our local pair of Buzzards flying about.

cyberyacht replied on 22/03/2020 19:29

Posted on 22/03/2020 19:29

Had a walk this morning in the magic hour after most of the dog walkers had completed their early morning circuit and before the tourists descended on Portchester Castle. Was rewarded by seeing our local kingfisher flitting up and down the moat surrounding the meadow.

replied on 22/03/2020 20:25

Posted on 22/03/2020 20:25

We walked around the beach area in Burntisland and saw a flock of Great Tits, many walking 4 abreast to occupy the full width of the promenade, so 2 metres social distancing became about 10cm. Some Lesser Tits who could be identified by only walking in pairs, many in the adolescent stage of development so possibly mature enough to breed next year; they left as much as 60cm space between each other but still left very little space for some Old Buzzards on mobility scooters to pass safely.

The raw beauty of Mother Nature on a bracing Sunday afternoon on the Firth of Forth ...

Steve

brue replied on 23/03/2020 09:30

Posted on 23/03/2020 09:30

Reading previous posts on here about pond life (nothing to do with the above post! wink) We've had nothing in our pond until this weekend, suddenly we have frog and toad spawn and the newts are active.

Butterflies are starting to emerge in the sun, I love the bright yellow Brimstones, this always heralds Spring for me. smile

Oneputt replied on 23/03/2020 10:44

Posted on 23/03/2020 10:44

Small Tortoiseshells in the garden for over a week.  Robins mate has turned up.  Siskin on feeder this morning 

nelliethehooker replied on 23/03/2020 21:42

Posted on 23/03/2020 21:42

We have very few birds in our garden for one reason or another, the occasional Robin and a Rook who devours the peanuts on the feeder. However just after we went to bed last night the security light came on and looking out spotted a hedgehog making it's way through the garden.

Wherenext replied on 26/03/2020 18:51

Posted on 26/03/2020 18:51

Working in the garden this morning was a joy, not something I've been heard saying very often.

There was plenty of Songbirds chattering away, with both Song and Mistle Thrush, a GSW battering hell out of a tree trunk, Chiffchaffs doing what they do but best of all some very contented Chickens from the bungalow 3 doors down and the filthy laugh of the Ducks a couple of streets away. Not a lawnmower, hammer, drill or Karcher going anywhere. Sheer bliss.

brue replied on 26/03/2020 19:50

Posted on 26/03/2020 19:50

After a very noisy day yesterday thanks to a burst of mechanical activity around us (loudest of all was a petrol driven lawn edger, never heard one before, we just go round with a half moon spade.) We could hear the birds today and they could hear each other! wink

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook