What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Oneputt replied on 20/03/2024 18:17

Posted on 20/03/2024 18:17

On the way back from Norwich we saw a marsh harrier and a stork, probably one from Thrigby 

mickysf replied on 21/03/2024 09:45

Posted on 20/03/2024 18:17 by Oneputt

On the way back from Norwich we saw a marsh harrier and a stork, probably one from Thrigby 

Posted on 21/03/2024 09:45

With regard to storks, Oneputt, there are plenty of reports this March across southern and middle England of both ringed and unringed storks cropping up. Reports of these birds in the UK have happened every year of my life however, there are far more these days. Whether this is a result of climate change, natural expansion or the reintroduction programmes I’m not sure. One suggestion is that more continental birds are following those bred here during their wandering across the channel and back. Lovely to see and read about though whatever the reason.
Oh, and that marsh harrier, such a wonderful sight to see them in hunting mode.

RedKite replied on 21/03/2024 10:00

Posted on 21/03/2024 10:00

i would like to see the storks but not in the area we will be in this Spring break in UK.

Whilst coming back from shopping on Tuesday we had a Red Kite swoop down to get some remains on the road and I was driving slowed down and nobody behind or coming the other way about 10 feet in front of us wow made my day and they are so agile.

Have got the frogs making a lot of noise near us and doing so more in daytime.

Wherenext replied on 22/03/2024 21:02

Posted on 22/03/2024 21:02

Doing some gardening whilst listening to Chiffchaffs and Nuthatches when I heard the mewing sound of a Buzzard, looked up and was treated to 9 of them circling and some of them aerial displaying. 

Quite mesmerising for 5 minutes or so.

Wherenext replied on 25/03/2024 21:54

Posted on 25/03/2024 21:54

The trees haven't yet started to leaf so it's a good time of year for seeing songbirds, if they'd stay still for a while that is.

Having breakfast and looking out into the woodland I saw some slight but regular movement going up a tree and a Treecreeper came into view. Industrious little birds.

One of the young lady Physios currently calling on MiL asked me to listen to her phone. Apparently she had got up at dawnbreak to let her dog out for a call of nature and heard her very first Dawn Chorus. MiL told her about my knowing a few of the songs and so I helped her out. Quite an impressive collection including a distant Tawny Owl.

How lovely it must be to hear and be enthralled by your first Dawn Chorus. One of the joys of Spring.

Bakers2 replied on 06/04/2024 11:00

Posted on 06/04/2024 11:00

Saw my first brimstone on our walk this morning. Been seeing red admirals regularly for a while. 😀 Then saw a 2nd brimstone further on.

Beautiful, if breezy morning. And it's DRY 🤔 for a few hours! Our breeze is pretty strong in the east I wonder about the west!

Oneputt replied on 07/04/2024 08:35

Posted on 07/04/2024 08:35

We are lucky lots of butterfly’s flitting around for nearly 3 weeks.  Brimstones, Peacocks, Orange Tips etc..  whilst in Hampshire saw our first Dragon fly, looked like a Ruddy Darter, but not positive and very early 

RedKite replied on 07/04/2024 09:05

Posted on 07/04/2024 09:05

have seen my first Swallows a couple of days ago no Swifts yet but the Crag Martins have arrived on the rocks near or friends house.

I have seen my first Green Hairstreak butterfly also many Brimstones also over here a Cleopatra like the brimstone only with a orange patch on the male wings, 2 Swallowtails 1 Wall Brown and some of the Whites have appeared.

Also heard a Garden Warbler at our friends house and now have heard 2 Cuckoos so things are on the move.

RedKite replied on 07/04/2024 15:05

Posted on 07/04/2024 15:05

Just heard the Nightingale sing in the little plot next to OH's shed same as last year made my day.

Wherenext replied on 08/04/2024 19:44

Posted on 08/04/2024 19:44

Driving along today I was struck by the sudden explosion of colour after putting up with a drab, dreary, grey winter.

Leaves blossoming on trees and bushes and I was even pleased to see so many bright dandelions on grass verges. Amazing that something so simple as colour can enhance the day.

Edit - Meant to say Bakers that there was a report in the press saying last year was a bumper year for Red Admirals. Keep up the good work.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook