What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Bakers2 replied on 09/04/2024 10:00

Posted on 09/04/2024 10:00

Bluebells making a good show in the woods. Not yet full on.

Surprised to see lilac blossoming.

I agree with you Wherenext the colour is beautiful. Spring is so renewing in so many ways.

Dry day again yesterday, but rain overnight. Damp now. I'm happy as treated, scarifed grass hasn't needed the nearly purchased sprinkler. 1 week to go 🤞

RedKite replied on 09/04/2024 12:59

Posted on 09/04/2024 12:59

On our way out this morning saw 2 Hoopoes in different areas so still a lot more birds to arrive but great to see them.

eurortraveller replied on 09/04/2024 16:25

Posted on 09/04/2024 16:25

We just heard squealing and shrieking in the orchard down below this old farmhouse. A young jay was pinned to the ground by a big bird of prey which was pecking at it. The parent jay was circling anxiously but could do nothing. When Rob and I arrived the bird of prey - which actually looked like a peregrine - disappeared fast. We did what we could for the young jay but it was bleeding badly. Now I know a lot of you write on here and say you are keen on raptors of all sorts - I just regard them as murderers of anything smaller than they are. I don’t warm to them at all.

Wherenext replied on 09/04/2024 16:54

Posted on 09/04/2024 16:54

EuroT I've seen Jays pounce on young Wrens just a few days out of the nest  and woodpeckers rob Chaffinch nests to take nestlings. I've heard about Peregrines being attacked on the nest by Eagle Owls. Seen Sparrowhawks killing Woodpigeons.

Unless a sentient being is a vegetarian all of them become both hunted and prey at some point in the eco-system. Do we stop a Spotted Flycatcher from catching butterflies? I like butterflies but also like the dexterity of a flycatcher to manoeuvre itself in flight to take one.

All raptors to my knowledge will only kill for food, self defence or kill a competitor for territorial reasons. I can, though, understand your comment about not warming to them. I feel the same about lions and hyenas.

Well done by the way for trying to save the Jay.

mickysf replied on 09/04/2024 18:41

Posted on 09/04/2024 18:41

Euro, I understand that sadness at witnessing rather gruesome but natural events in nature but they are part of the ecosystem and often crucial to balanced habitat health. Odd how some folk increasingly demonise creatures the higher up the food chain those creature occupy. Raptors unfortunately, and irrationally in the opinion of many , have been cruelly persecuted by those at the very apex of the animal kingdom, ‘us’.  The Blackbird eating the worm, the Blue tit  feeding its young on caterpillars, they all ‘play’ their part and only kill out of necessity not for pleasure like some humans do. Hopefully the Corvid you mentioned returned to good health mind.

neveramsure replied on 09/04/2024 20:18

Posted on 09/04/2024 20:18

The Blue Tits are keeping me busy on my bird box camera. The nest looks about half built now. It would have more nesting material in if it wasn't for the strict quality control of the little chap.laughing. They are so funny and entertaining to watch.

Bakers2 replied on 10/04/2024 19:31

Posted on 10/04/2024 19:31

Monday was a sunny day 😎.  We had brimstone and Holly blue in the garden 😃. 

Tuesday was very cold wind, damp and grey so little in the way of butterflies poor things must be having a really tough time.

Brighter first thing today, saw my first peacock butterflies this year. Its turned grey damp and rather windy again. The water in the bird bath seems to have evaporated during the course of the day.

Using the app on my phone I actually saw a willow warbler. I could see it but not identify. Bird song app did. It also told me I heard a common redstart. In all it picked up more than a dozen different birds on my walk.

Wherenext replied on 11/04/2024 14:28

Posted on 11/04/2024 14:28

Is the video cam installed in the nest box Nevers? it was great seeing them the other year.

Bakers, identifying birds by song opens up so much more pleasure and adds to visual sightings when the little buggers want to stay hidden. BTW - if you see a Chiffchaff/Willow Warbler type bird only fleetingly and wonder which one it was then a good guide is to look at their legs. Black legs equals Chiffchaff.

Had a fleeting 3 second look at a Goshawk flying over the house whilst putting out the bins for collection.

neveramsure replied on 11/04/2024 19:36

Posted on 11/04/2024 14:28 by Wherenext

Is the video cam installed in the nest box Nevers? it was great seeing them the other year.

Bakers, identifying birds by song opens up so much more pleasure and adds to visual sightings when the little buggers want to stay hidden. BTW - if you see a Chiffchaff/Willow Warbler type bird only fleetingly and wonder which one it was then a good guide is to look at their legs. Black legs equals Chiffchaff.

Had a fleeting 3 second look at a Goshawk flying over the house whilst putting out the bins for collection.

Posted on 11/04/2024 19:36

Yes, the camera is in the nest box. The little chap brings moss into the box, spreads it out with its wings, then inspects the perimeter and takes any moss it dislikes out of the box. It sometimes takes more out than it brings in.laughing

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook