What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

mickysf replied on 14/06/2021 18:39

Posted on 13/06/2021 18:21 by brue

"B List Drama!"

Just what we needed on a very hot day, a swarm of bees arrived in one of our apple trees.

Much phoning around and internet searching for help then via a local web site we located two people. Luckily the first bee keeper was at home. Hope we didn't ruin his Sunday lunch. He was very interesting when we had a chat.

Bees were caught via a ladder into the tree and dropped into a box with smoker nearby. They'll be collected this evening, checked for diseases and hopefully rehomed in a vacant local hive.

Blow me if I didn't spot a giant hornet later but it was "one of ours!"

Posted on 14/06/2021 18:39

Wow, fabulous spot, a Eurasian Hornet. Fabulous insect rarely seen these days.👍

Wherenext replied on 14/06/2021 20:24

Posted on 14/06/2021 20:24

MiL mentioned that her father used to be the local "man to call" in the event of a bit of bee trouble. He used to go around with his bee suit and smoker and collect them. Ha da few hives of his own. He was a Head Gardener at a "House" so probably had experience of them.

We had a drive up to the Moors today and saw a Female Hen Harrier quartering a bit of land. Also a Red Kite high up on the Moors as well.

ABM replied on 14/06/2021 22:57

Posted on 14/06/2021 22:57

Bakers2   A Quotation, if I may, from my late Father { another Apiarist ! } but where he got it from you'll have to ask the bees innocent

A swarm of bees in May is worth a bale of hay

A swarm  of bees in June is worth a silver spoon

But a swarm of bees in July is not worth a butterfly.

All purely based on the value of  honey + the profit thereof  wink

P.S. / Edit  :--  Its always good to let the neighbours know that the pup was disturbed by strange folks around ~~ Might keep other residents on the look out  innocent

JohnM20 replied on 15/06/2021 08:21

Posted on 15/06/2021 08:21

Just had a visit from one of our local, big, crows, a rather clever one at that. He arrived in the garden with what looked like half a slice of bread in his beak. He warily looked around and then went up onto the bird bath and dunked the bread in the water until it was soft enough to eat more easily. 

This isn't the first time he's done this. We saw this behaviour on a few occasions last year. Presumably, probably, the same crow as he comes on his own so no other to demonstrate the tactic to. 

Pliers replied on 15/06/2021 17:21

Posted on 15/06/2021 17:21

Painted lady butterfly on the moors between Marsett and Hawes. 
When they turn up, they do like this area, maybe 2021 will be a good year for them. 🤞

RedKite replied on 17/06/2021 17:46

Posted on 17/06/2021 17:46

Had a pair of Ring Ouzels fly in front of us on Tuesday just after we had left the viewpoint outside Bort-les-Orgues not seen them for a few years and on the train trip yesterday a Honey Buzzard was flying low around a local wood, also plenty of unusual flowers which I had to look up so a good trip and plenty of photo stops.

brue replied on 18/06/2021 08:48

Posted on 18/06/2021 08:48

Locally we've spotted a RedKite, flying close to the village. This might be a one off or they are gradually moving our way. They appear to extending their sw range generally.

Pliers replied on 18/06/2021 17:03

Posted on 18/06/2021 17:03

Had a walk over the moors near Middleham today, lots of blue butterflies about, assume to be common blue. Some small heaths about, too.

On site, we always put a bird feeder up. Here, at Hawes Club site, I’ve had to refill it 3 times already, in 6 days. Just the usual suspects, of course, but plenty of them. 🙂

replied on 20/06/2021 08:01

Posted on 20/06/2021 08:01

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Wherenext replied on 22/06/2021 20:41

Posted on 15/06/2021 17:21 by Pliers

Painted lady butterfly on the moors between Marsett and Hawes. 
When they turn up, they do like this area, maybe 2021 will be a good year for them. 🤞

Posted on 22/06/2021 20:41

Read a report in todays Daily Rag that the Painted Lady has earned the distinction of the longest known migration flight of any insect. They come from below the sub Sahara.

Would personally have thought the Monarch Butterfly might have had that record but I'll defer to the experts. Whichever, both are extraordinary feats of endurance for such small wildlife.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook