What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

nelliethehooker replied on 28/04/2024 21:25

Posted on 28/04/2024 21:11 by Wherenext

When you get into Scottish Pines Nellie keep an eye and ear out for Crested Tits. They are seldom seen in other trees.

Posted on 28/04/2024 21:25

Will do as we will be among lots of pines at the next site near Loch Garten. There certainly about last time we were there but didn't see them, Crossbills too! I should be better prepared with the Merlin app.

Wherenext replied on 01/05/2024 18:58

Posted on 01/05/2024 18:58

We managed to get a mornings bird watching in at Burton RSPB reserve at the southern end of the Wirral this morning, our first such outing for over 2 months. 

It was a glorious Spring morning and we really enjoyed the near 3 hours spent there. There was a good variety of birds, butterflies and insects to keep us interested. In no particular order we saw Garganey, a lone Drake, 8 Spotted Redshanks in summer plumage, 2 Pintail, a Peregrine, Cetti's and Reed Warblers, Whitethroat, Orange Tip and Peacock butterflies. Plenty of singing warblers around. We did miss seeing the 3 Storks that had been there before we arrived and typically arrived back after we had gone but our time was limited.

All in all it was a smashing morning.

Oneputt replied on 05/05/2024 13:53

Posted on 05/05/2024 13:53

Last Wednesday whilst driving back home along the A47 Acle straight a BoP flew over the car which looked like a Montagu's Harrier.  I couldn’t confirm this but have now seen that one has been spotted further North in Norfolk, so perhaps I was correct in my identification 

nelliethehooker replied on 05/05/2024 21:22

Posted on 05/05/2024 21:22

We drove up to Lochindorb this afternoon and on the way there the OH spotted another Red Squirrel close to the road. The reason for heading there was to try and see the Black Throated Divers which nest there, and thanks to two ardent birdwatchers from Derbyshire I was able to see a couple of them using one of their 'scopes. We also saw Common Sandpipers, and Lapwings, Greylag Geese with young and a female Mallard with about 13 ducklings. As we drove down the drive onto the site a female Roe Deer crossed right in front of us, coming out of the house garden and hopping over the fence onto the road.

JohnM20 replied on 06/05/2024 07:52

Posted on 06/05/2024 07:52

Territory wars in the garden this morning. We frequently see the warring blackbirds but this morning was a little different. A diminutive blue tit was having a right go at a much larger great tit, chasing it round and round the garden for over a minute. Quite comical to watch.

Oneputt replied on 06/05/2024 22:02

Posted on 06/05/2024 22:02

Just noticed there are a couple of Golden Oriels up in North Norfolk so fingers crossed they are still around this weekend when we are up there 

nelliethehooker replied on 07/05/2024 21:48

Posted on 06/05/2024 22:02 by Oneputt

Just noticed there are a couple of Golden Oriels up in North Norfolk so fingers crossed they are still around this weekend when we are up there 

Posted on 07/05/2024 21:48

OP, there is a photo of one at Spurn in N Yorkshire this week, on the BirdGuides web site for this werk.

mickysf replied on 08/05/2024 16:36

Posted on 08/05/2024 16:36

Think you were there recently WN. Fabulous warm sunny day at Burton Mere Wetlands. Little Egret, Great White Egret, Gargoney, Avocets and Marsh Harrier amongst other expected species. Well worth a visit with a friendly team of knowledgeable like minded folk to offer tips and suggest where the birds are currently to be found. There is a large egret roost/heronry, the sound of which is like nothing I’ve heard in the UK. Well worth a visit, lovely cafe too.

Wherenext replied on 08/05/2024 17:17

Posted on 08/05/2024 17:17

Our go to site, within about 20 minutes drive. We've been going when the site consisted of the pool at what is now the far end of the site from the centre. The centre down to the end of the boardwalk is only about 8 years old or so after being purchased from the farmer.

The bubbling sound from the Great White Egrets on the Herony is definitely weird but quite beautiful.

If you are up the Wirral tomorrow then look at the website I'm putting up as it has maps and some local sightings.

Dee Estuary Birdwatching

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook