What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

mickysf replied on 11/07/2021 11:58

Posted on 09/07/2021 20:46 by Bluemalaga

Passing a derelict barn this morning, I spotted a pair of Little Owl on what was left of an end wall. Inside were 2 juveniles hunting around on the floor. I stopped for a while to enjoy my first sighting of this charming little bird.

Posted on 11/07/2021 11:58

Interested, like those parakeets, Little Owls are an introduced species in ‘our’ country!

papgeno replied on 11/07/2021 18:41

Posted on 11/07/2021 18:41

We had a very poorly looking Magpie on our patio the other day. I went to see if it had gone a couple of days later and found it under the barbie tangled in the cord that ties the bottom of the cover. The poor thing must have been twisting round umpteen times trying to get free, it was really badly tangled in the cord and the gas pipe. It’s leg and tail feathers were tightly caught.

It took me a good half hour but I managed to free it in the end without having to cut anything. I don’t know why but I found myself talking to it all the while. It didn’t seem to help, it still tried to peck me!

brue replied on 12/07/2021 09:07

Posted on 12/07/2021 09:07

Spotted a "spotted" longhorn beetle....it seems to be a good year for insects, more grasses left to grow locally.

Glad you managed to free the magpie Papgeno.

JohnM20 replied on 12/07/2021 09:43

Posted on 12/07/2021 09:43

We sat in Wetherby services a few days ago watching a Red Kite wheeling round and round above us, quite low at times and for about twenty minutes. Are the services a good area for easy pickings? I knew that they were spreading north but hadn't realised they were so far north yet.

Wherenext replied on 12/07/2021 19:19

Posted on 12/07/2021 09:43 by JohnM20

We sat in Wetherby services a few days ago watching a Red Kite wheeling round and round above us, quite low at times and for about twenty minutes. Are the services a good area for easy pickings? I knew that they were spreading north but hadn't realised they were so far north yet.

Posted on 12/07/2021 19:19

Harewood House had a reintroduction programme of Kites and is very close to Wetherby so it may well still be a local bird. We have not long returned from a cottage about 10 minutes drive from Harewood and the area had a couple of resident Kites.

nelliethehooker replied on 12/07/2021 20:49

Posted on 12/07/2021 20:49

Question to the birding experts..... Walking round one of our local reservoirs today, and among the Canada and Greylag Geese was another goose, slightly smaller than a Greylag and with similar colourings  except it was unmarked down both sides of it's neck and it had bright yellow legs and feet compared to the pink of the Greylags. I might pop back tomorrow and try and get a photo of it if it is still about. 

Also saw a Raven while there and later a Charm of Goldfinches.

eurortraveller replied on 12/07/2021 21:06

Posted on 12/07/2021 21:06

We have a brown hen blackbird (the French have a single word Merlette instead of our three). which has taken a liking for fat balls. Being unable to perch and hang on to a dangling bird feeder it has developed the humming bird technique of fluttering furiously to feed from them while hovering stationary in mid air, and after a week’s practice is getting better at it as each day goes by.

cyberyacht replied on 13/07/2021 12:49

Posted on 13/07/2021 12:49

Visited the WWT at Slimbridge yesterday. Last time I visited was 65 years ago! It's changed a bit. The cycle ride along the canal from our CL could have done with either a pair of secateurs or Boudicca's chariot to deal with the encroaching growth.

Note to self: check E-bike battery before going off in the moho.

Pliers replied on 13/07/2021 18:53

Posted on 13/07/2021 18:53

This morning we had one of these small, wooden ground feeding tables in our garden.

Back from an afternoon stroll to find 5 magpies tearing it to pieces 😱.

Beyond repair, so it’s been binned. Never seen this sort of behaviour from corvids before. And don’t want to see it again! 
🙂🙂🙂

Pliers replied on 13/07/2021 19:11

Posted on 12/07/2021 20:49 by nelliethehooker

Question to the birding experts..... Walking round one of our local reservoirs today, and among the Canada and Greylag Geese was another goose, slightly smaller than a Greylag and with similar colourings  except it was unmarked down both sides of it's neck and it had bright yellow legs and feet compared to the pink of the Greylags. I might pop back tomorrow and try and get a photo of it if it is still about. 

Also saw a Raven while there and later a Charm of Goldfinches.

Posted on 13/07/2021 19:11

Bean goose, maybe….🤔

Just a guess, I’m no expert! 🙂🙂🙂

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook