What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

mickysf replied on 26/05/2022 21:21

Posted on 24/05/2022 20:10 by nelliethehooker

There seem to be more and more Mandarin ducks through the country. We've seen them quite a few times in our travels.

I nearly got decapitated by a Sparrowhawk this evening when going for water. I did wonder what was causing distress calls from lots of the small birds around the yard.

Posted on 26/05/2022 21:21

A few years ago I was walking through a dense part of Cropton Forest when a raptor expertly flew between the trees causing me to duck and feel the moving air on my bald head. Can only think it was a goshawk! What speed, what navigational skills, what a bird but only a glimpse given!

ADP1963 replied on 27/05/2022 08:38

Posted on 27/05/2022 08:38

mickysf

From your description ....you bet it was a Goshawk, a fabulous bird ! Top Gun has nothing on them. I had the pleasure of watching a pair raring chicks ( from a distance) in 2017. Strangely they never returned to their original habitat.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 27/05/2022 09:02

Posted on 27/05/2022 08:38 by ADP1963

mickysf

From your description ....you bet it was a Goshawk, a fabulous bird ! Top Gun has nothing on them. I had the pleasure of watching a pair raring chicks ( from a distance) in 2017. Strangely they never returned to their original habitat.

Posted on 27/05/2022 09:02

+1, I was working in a forest a few years ago when one flashed past me doing the Top Gun 90dg quarter roll & back. . .Pure poetry quickly followed by slack jaw & goosebumps. I’ve only ever seen them since around the outer forest no doubt trying to spook a bird(bogie🙂) to flight.

Wherenext replied on 27/05/2022 18:36

Posted on 27/05/2022 18:36

They are indeed majestic birds, full masters of flight. We have a breeding pair and a couple of estates a couple of miles apart that have regular pheasant shoots so the birds are never short of straying pheasants along with their normal fayre. We've been lucky to see them flying over from one site to the other. Wonderful seen from underneath.

Wherenext replied on 27/05/2022 18:41

Posted on 27/05/2022 18:41

Had the privilege of seeing a Sea Eagle leave its' nest today and fly off to the lake. What a sight. It had 2 chicks on the nest to feed, both apparently doing well.

This capped off another lovely day where we  walked miles around lakes, through forest glades and beside wet meadows. Had really close up views of both Black Terns and Whiskered Terns, Spoonbill, Purple Heron, Honey Buzzard, Marsh warbler, Black Necked Grebes and White Storks amongst many more.

mickysf replied on 27/05/2022 23:07

Posted on 27/05/2022 18:41 by Wherenext

Had the privilege of seeing a Sea Eagle leave its' nest today and fly off to the lake. What a sight. It had 2 chicks on the nest to feed, both apparently doing well.

This capped off another lovely day where we  walked miles around lakes, through forest glades and beside wet meadows. Had really close up views of both Black Terns and Whiskered Terns, Spoonbill, Purple Heron, Honey Buzzard, Marsh warbler, Black Necked Grebes and White Storks amongst many more.

Posted on 27/05/2022 23:07

Where are you, Wherenext?

Wherenext replied on 28/05/2022 13:13

Posted on 27/05/2022 23:07 by mickysf

Where are you, Wherenext?

Posted on 28/05/2022 13:13

I'm here, where are you?😁

The Netherlands Micky. Travelling around it bit by bit. Yesterday we were just south of Groningen in the North East. If anyone reading this interested in actual places then I'd be happy to oblige with details in detail but probably only when we get home in three weeks. If just interested in general terms then no problem. 

Wherenext replied on 28/05/2022 15:18

Posted on 28/05/2022 15:18

Had a quiet day which involved travelling 1 junction of a motorway, about 5 miles, to get some pink toilet flush. On the way back I saw a male Hen Harrier quartering the wheat field and OH saw a female doing the same on the opposite side of the motorway, which was quiet and flat. We were hoping to cycle the local back roads to look for them but high winds have prevented that.

mickysf replied on 29/05/2022 09:58

Posted on 28/05/2022 13:13 by Wherenext

I'm here, where are you?😁

The Netherlands Micky. Travelling around it bit by bit. Yesterday we were just south of Groningen in the North East. If anyone reading this interested in actual places then I'd be happy to oblige with details in detail but probably only when we get home in three weeks. If just interested in general terms then no problem. 

Posted on 29/05/2022 09:58

Thanks WN. It’s just that I was fascinated with the variety of bird life and the species seen. Fantastic, and to think we are only separated by a relatively short distance across the North Sea. Oh, and we are in what is now being called ‘The Celtic Rainforest’, not quiet the wildlife sights that you have seen mind but the scenery is absolutely stunning.

Wherenext replied on 29/05/2022 18:37

Posted on 29/05/2022 18:37

We did do quite a bit of research before we came over Micky.

I would have liked to have come across in April to get the wader migration as well as some late Geese movements but circumstances prevented that. So really the only thing that has been missing up to now for us on a non existent list would have been the waders. We're off shortly to a heathland type of environment so that should throw up some forest and heath species, be it reptiles or birds, and then we're finishing off at a heath and wetland type, where there is supposed to be another breeding White Tailed Eagle.

We are doing a bit of reconnaissance for potential future visits as well and would probably miss our current one out next time and move to the area where we saw the Sea Eagle the other day.

Nothing wrong with Scotland. It has its own unique wildlife. Enjoy your trip.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook