What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

mickysf replied on 29/05/2022 22:01

Posted on 29/05/2022 22:01

Fantastic, Wherenext, we did a trip to Denmark a few years back and I was amazed by the variety there. Also the tolerance shown by the general public towards many species who live either precarious lives in the UK or given no room at all. Just goes to show that the likes of WTE and Ospreys on our south coast do have a place given the chance.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 30/05/2022 07:13

Posted on 30/05/2022 07:13

I watched a mother Partridge in total panic trying to Chivvy around 12+ chicks(only a couple of days old) away from me & my 2 Dogs. I got the Dogs to sit & I knelt to help stop her panic. She mostly had control but for a runt at the back who kept falling over its own long legs. Eventually We reversed back around the hedgerow as a few of them had slowed down-it was bedlam. In truth out of the whole bunch only mama Partridge seemed in a hurry. One of the treats of Spring.

RedKite replied on 30/05/2022 17:56

Posted on 30/05/2022 17:56

Opened the kitchen shutter at 7.30am today and this is what I saw, glad camera was close by and also 2 more siblings on top of our wall  a good start to the day.

Wherenext replied on 31/05/2022 18:51

Posted on 31/05/2022 18:51

Had a ride through a heathland environment today so saw some different type of birds, animals, reptiles and plantlife.

Lovely to see and hear Tree Pipits, Yellowhammers, Red Backed Shrikes and see Common Brown Lizards. There was a village that had planted an area with wild flowers and was delightful with Corncockles and Ox Eyed Daisies with Red and Yellow Poppies.

nelliethehooker replied on 31/05/2022 20:35

Posted on 31/05/2022 20:35

The ox eyed daisies and corncockle are out in force here too, WN, along with the yellow and orange poppies, but have see few red ones yet in the fields. We passed meadows full of buttercups on our journey home yesterday, too.

replied on 01/06/2022 08:07

Posted on 01/06/2022 08:07

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Wherenext replied on 01/06/2022 18:09

Posted on 01/06/2022 18:09

I do love those Magpies David. So different to those at home that fly off at the lightest sound or sight of you. The Spanish ones are very inquisitive, plus beautiful to look at as well.

Our day was spent trying to avoid thunderstorms and rain, the latter of which we managed to do with a couple of one hours walking between rainfall and lightning on a heath nestled between the Netherlands border and Germany's.

Managed to get to see 4 different male Red Backed Shrikes, one of them very close in sunshine, some Tree Pipits and a summering Lesser White Fronted Goose in amongst the Egyptian Geese which helped with size comparisons.

Also saw a Male Hen Harrier and a Four Spotted Chaser Dragonfly close up.

We were hoping to do an extensive walk but the weather beat us today. Back on the campsite though there is a Pied Flycatcher in one of the nest boxes with chicks as there is a lot of insect gathering and returning.

replied on 01/06/2022 19:23

Posted on 01/06/2022 18:09 by Wherenext

I do love those Magpies David. So different to those at home that fly off at the lightest sound or sight of you. The Spanish ones are very inquisitive, plus beautiful to look at as well.

Our day was spent trying to avoid thunderstorms and rain, the latter of which we managed to do with a couple of one hours walking between rainfall and lightning on a heath nestled between the Netherlands border and Germany's.

Managed to get to see 4 different male Red Backed Shrikes, one of them very close in sunshine, some Tree Pipits and a summering Lesser White Fronted Goose in amongst the Egyptian Geese which helped with size comparisons.

Also saw a Male Hen Harrier and a Four Spotted Chaser Dragonfly close up.

We were hoping to do an extensive walk but the weather beat us today. Back on the campsite though there is a Pied Flycatcher in one of the nest boxes with chicks as there is a lot of insect gathering and returning.

Posted on 01/06/2022 19:23

mickysf replied on 01/06/2022 19:59

Posted on 01/06/2022 08:07 by

Just having a cup of tea outside  the van and in that time have heard constant Hoopoe "hooping" Ravens croaking, Azure Winged Magpies screeching all around and a Red Kite circling.  Yesterday morning at same time a solitary Griffon  Vulture passed over strange as they usually travel in groups.

After a very hot day yesterday it looks  cooler day today with a chance of rain,hope it's not much we are packing to move a short distance. 

Posted on 01/06/2022 19:59

Forgive me AD but I think you mean Iberian Magpie unless you are in Asia! Fabulous birds non the less but equally good predators as our own magpies which many seem to think are villains which of course they are not!

replied on 01/06/2022 20:48

Posted on 01/06/2022 19:59 by mickysf

Forgive me AD but I think you mean Iberian Magpie unless you are in Asia! Fabulous birds non the less but equally good predators as our own magpies which many seem to think are villains which of course they are not!

Posted on 01/06/2022 20:48

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook